Little bit of footage from today's scrimmage

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
TallyGator;n30231 said:
Imagine if we can pass to set up the run...
Too much to hope for? We could party like it's 1991.

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
O is looking better, can't wait for the season to get started.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator said:
The Gator Nation is so starved even a little scrap like that seems like a feast. They are only, what, 20 something practices into this new offense? Things could get smoother in the next 10 even. If the QBs can execute quickly, even a mediocre OL can function somewhat.
:yes:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
SaltGator said:
O is looking better, can't wait for the season to get started.
You and me both

the_alphagator1906

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator said:
The Gator Nation is so starved even a little scrap like that seems like a feast. They are only, what, 20 something practices into this new offense? Things could get smoother in the next 10 even. If the QBs can execute quickly, even a mediocre OL can function somewhat.
gaaassspp....you mean you are actually going to cheer for a CWM football team?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
The Original DC;n30270 said:
Another TD by Brandon Powell. I don't think a practice has gone by where he didn't make a big play. Looking forward to his future.

A lot of people were whining about losing Cook. It never really bothered me because we already had Taylor, Lane , Jones and Brown coming back this year and 3 of the 4 will be here at least another 2 years. This should make us feel even a little more vindicated by the emergence of Powell. I'm usually very skeptical of any back coming in under 200# but this kid looks ready to produce despite being a freshmen and the depth in our backfield may be the deepest I've ever seen. The guy I hope doesn't get forgotten is Joyer. If people recall back in 2011 he actually got a few carries every game and had some powerful runs. It would really catch some defenses off guard by giving him some quick hitters mixed into our zone read run game.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n30436 said:
A lot of people were whining about losing Cook. It never really bothered me because we already had Taylor, Lane , Jones and Brown coming back this year and 3 of the 4 will be here at least another 2 years. This should make us feel even a little more vindicated by the emergence of Powell. I'm usually very skeptical of any back coming in under 200# but this kid looks ready to produce despite being a freshmen and the depth in our backfield may be the deepest I've ever seen. The guy I hope doesn't get forgotten is Joyer. If people recall back in 2011 he actually got a few carries every game and had some powerful runs. It would really catch some defenses off guard by giving him some quick hitters mixed into our zone read run game.

It's not just that we lost Cook. It's that we lost him to the semis. I hate that we lost a game changer/breaker like that to that POS school.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
GatorJ said:

It's not just that we lost Cook. It's that we lost him to the semis. I hate that we lost a game changer/breaker like that to that POS school.
Before we go calling Cook a game changer let's see what he does at the SOW. I'm much happier with our stable of backs and wouldn't trade them for anyone else's. I've heard rumors that both Lane and Cook were worried by our academics as well as our depth charts. People can say what they want about last years results scaring them off but I don't think that's the case. Other coaches know as well as most fans like us that there is a LOT of talent at UF on the offensive side of the ball as well as the defense and these other coaches know as well as most optimistic fans know it only a short matter of time before it's showing on the field.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So, we only need 2 of our state's top 25 each year and we didn't want them anyway? :facepalm:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ said:

I think it had more to do with an unstable coaching environment. They just weren't sure that this staff would be intact in a year and they're looking at their next 4 years. I don't like the way Cook handled the process but I understand why he flipped. And yeah, he's a game changer. Not an everyday back, but similar to a Rainey/Demps. Here's some info on him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsZL0x_GMmE

ESPN:

5-11, 196 | 40: 4.46 | Class of 2014

Size-Strength-Speed

This is a well-built, deceptively strong and built low to the ground back. Has exceptional foot quickness and speed.
Vision/Patience

Vision and natural skill set at the position are improving. Does show the ability get outside and turn the corner.
Agility/Acceleration

Possesses excellent suddenness and jump-cut skill through the hole and can hit the small creases of daylight just as they open. Accelerates to top speed within just a few steps and slice defenses up the seam for big gainers. Very elusive with impressive stop-start and shiftiness in the open field. Edge quickness and perimeter speed are at an upper-tier level. Cook has another gear and can kick it in and separate and outrun DBs with good angles.
Power/Balance

While not a power runner he can break tackles with his low center of gravity and is difficult to wrap up as he rarely gives defenders a head-on shot. Has a north/south mentality when needed and while he possesses great lateral agility, he looks to get downhill when a seam prevails and takes the shortest distance to the goal line.
Bottom Line

As talented as Cook is, he might not receive as much hype as his backfield counterpart -- Joseph Yearby -- but he should. Cook is a true home run threat at the RB position and while he's not as complete of a back as Yearby, he has arguably better top-end speed and overall athleticism. While we feel he could develop into a fine DB at the next level, it might be hard for teams not to want to get the ball in his hands on offense.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well, not getting those top guys means we got to sign some of those better, blue collar 3 star guys.... or leaves us with more room to sign all the other 5 stars who will commit to us later... depending on the time.

But WDWTAW works just as well, I suppose.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
LagoonGator68;n30475 said:
So, we only need 2 of our state's top 25 each year and we didn't want them anyway? :facepalm:

And Lagoon, we really miss the bottom part of your avatar.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
G8RNGA said:
What is this "vertical pass" that they keep referencing? Is that in our playbook?
I believe the new term is ..."Verticality". Say it like Rev. Sharpton or Jackson ...kind of rolls off the tongue.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;30481 said:

I keep trying to scroll down.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014

Who's backfield would you rather have, ours or FSU's ???? The main reason we had a "down year" recruiting wise, if you can call it that, was our 2013 class was exceptional and I have no doubt that it will start showing on the field this year.....In fact the more I think about it, I would rather have our backs than anyone's from top to bottom going forward.
Not sure if you've looked at FSUX roster this year but Cook will be the best back they have. They have 1 good returning WR then Lane, the rest are 5'9" midgets as are the rest of their RB's. If I were Cook or Lane I probably would have gone there too. There is a reason that we don't have a RB committed yet for 2015 and as much as some people would have you believe it's not necessarily that they don't believe the current coaches won't be here. Guys like Jacques Patrick and such don't want to sit for 2 or 3 years.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator said:

I do too!

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If rather have a friggin' O-line. And a QB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator