Looking for a US 90 overpass Support

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Lagoon is trying to locate Ocala Barge Canal like support that he remembers from the mid 1950's.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
railroad overpass s curve east of Sanderson

Image1.jpg

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
7178996.jpg

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I remember it from the 50's but it was a lot more S and not so sweeping.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It was on the south side of US Hwy. 90 heading west from Jax. and about one or two miles east of a city or burg. There was only one support pier visible from the passing car and it was never a finished project during that era. It was there for at least 5 years in it's unfinished state....I think it was between Jax and Lake City, but could have been as far as Madison, I guess.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This took place around 1956, FHP chasing a moonshiner in Baker County.

"Then one day I was on duty in the Sanderson area. At this time, I was
parked under two oak trees, a favorite observation point of mine near the
Sanderson overpass and S curve, watching traffic. A.J. came along traveling
west on U.S. 90, driving about 30 miles per hour. He went down to Hoss
Keller's store, made a U-turn with his souped-up Chrysler, and by the time
he went the short distance back to me he was traveling about 80 mph.
Needless to say, the race was on.

"He had to slow down slightly to make the S-curve over the overpass,
which gave me a chance to get my 1956 Ford up to his speed. We went to Glen
St. Mary, turned north on 125, took the dirt road about two miles north of
town there that runs by Bob Burnsed's house, and went back and forth on
most of the roads in that area, pawing up the ground in dust and dirt,
sliding and skidding. Finally I lost him up in the Taylor School area.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This is a few miles east of Lee Fla, between Lake City and Madison on US 90. The old highway was just north of this overpass.

lee.jpg lee1.jpg

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

This has been discussed a ton in the chat box. Goon is definitely not talking about the cross florida barge canal. But there are some abandoned supports on 441 from that project. BUT... since you bring it up.... the abandoned part of the project cuts through south of Ocala. My home backs up to it. It is now protected land and turned into a hikers/mountain bikers/horse rider's paradise. I am jogging or biking these trails 4-5 days a week. Some of the most difficult mountain biking sections are built into old limestone rockfaces or quarries. There is a pretty sweet campground in the Santos trailhead. If anyone ever stays there, send me a PM and I'll meet you for a beer. Just this last Saturday, I outfitted all our bikes for night riding and headed out. We ran into millions of lightening bugs (I've never seen one in Florida). Here is my daughter:

pic.JPG

You can check out many of those trails:
http://www.omba.org/maps.html

That perfectly green, 3 mile wide, path is the protected Florida Greenway (abandoned section of canal project). For those that travel up I75 to go to Gainesville, you actually pass "under" the trail. You may have noticed an overgrown overpass just south of Ocala. It's actually a nature overpass. (That Don Garlits museum is also worth the stop)

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
blah...blah...blah... My home backs up to it. It is now protected land and turned into a hikers/mountain bikers/horse rider's paradise. I am jogging or biking these trails 4-5 days a week.Some of the most difficult mountain biking sections ..blah..blah...blah...
Brad, seriously, there are no mountains within prolly 450 miles of Ocala

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Brad, seriously, there are no mountains within prolly 450 miles of Ocala

So? Why does everyone have a ****ing problem with this concept? That's a mountain bike btw. Tell you what.... bring your old man tricycle out here and lets see what you've got:
8640AltaLeadCut-676x450.jpg

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There are some crazy dudes out there. Would you think this kind of terrain could be in central florida? (For the record... that's also a mountain bike)
jump1.jpg

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mom and I enjoy a nice ride when the weather is pleasant. I even have a small motor if we stray too far. Thanks for the offer, we may take yall up on it.
DSC_17621.jpg

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This has been discussed a ton in the chat box. Goon is definitely not talking about the cross florida barge canal. But there are some abandoned supports on 441 from that project. BUT... since you bring it up.... the abandoned part of the project cuts through south of Ocala. My home backs up to it. It is now protected land and turned into a hikers/mountain bikers/horse rider's paradise. I am jogging or biking these trails 4-5 days a week. Some of the most difficult mountain biking sections are built into old limestone rockfaces or quarries. There is a pretty sweet campground in the Santos trailhead. If anyone ever stays there, send me a PM and I'll meet you for a beer. Just this last Saturday, I outfitted all our bikes for night riding and headed out. We ran into millions of lightening bugs (I've never seen one in Florida). Here is my daughter:

View attachment 3039

You can check out many of those trails:
http://www.omba.org/maps.html

That perfectly green, 3 mile wide, path is the protected Florida Greenway (abandoned section of canal project). For those that travel up I75 to go to Gainesville, you actually pass "under" the trail. You may have noticed an overgrown overpass just south of Ocala. It's actually a nature overpass. (That Don Garlits museum is also worth the stop)

View attachment 3038

What's your address and SS# ? I'll stop by with a 6-pack.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mom and I enjoy a nice ride when the weather is pleasant. I even have a small motor if we stray too far. Thanks for the offer, we may take yall up on it.
DSC_17621.jpg
I pictured this as you and your rig.

m-4478.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.