Louis Murphy Arrested in Airport for Carrying a loaded Glock in a backpack

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure why they mentioned him not having a permit because in most states you can have a legally carried weapon in an airport just not at the sterile federal controlled area. FL is one of the states that doesn't allow a gun at all. They were thinking about changing that after the Lauderdale airport shooting but I don't think it went anywhere.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
There is an existing bill being pushed thru right now....

Didn't know that - so it looks like it might pass? I don't have a problem with people being able to conceal carry that are picking people up at the baggage claim areas etc. or just seeing them off before the security areas. You do get some idiots however wanting to show off in some open carry states walking into airports with rifles walking around with multiple cops following them. I think it is pretty rare but in FL you wouldn't have that issue.

Murphy sounds like an idiot having this happen after that museum lock in mess.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Not sure if it will pass. Also as you know, open carry isnt allowed in Florida...unfortunately...

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Murphy sounds like an idiot having this happen after that museum lock in mess.

The fact that he was trying to carry a loaded weapon through a screening checkpoint in an airport might also confirm your suspicion.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Note to self: wear your "I'm with Stupid" t-shirt the next time you see w/ Louis Murphy.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
So not only did he try and walk through screening, he didn't even have a concealed carry permit? I've seen guys get nailed for this that simply forgot they were armed, but they always had permits.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
You can't carry a loaded gun in a backpack to an airport? Who knew? :dunno:
Buddy's Dad works for TSA and they average a weapon a day, most people simply forget they stuffed it in a backpack years ago and are now using that as their carryon.

To the point of gun ownership, in Florida, you do NOT need a concealed weapons permit to carry a gun so long as its in a shut case or zipped bag, same goes for inside a glove compartment in your car. If you have your CWP, you are allowed to carry your weapon anywhere in the airport before screening.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Buddy's Dad works for TSA and they average a weapon a day, most people simply forget they stuffed it in a backpack years ago and are now using that as their carryon.

To the point of gun ownership, in Florida, you do NOT need a concealed weapons permit to carry a gun so long as its in a shut case or zipped bag, same goes for inside a glove compartment in your car. If you have your CWP, you are allowed to carry your weapon anywhere in the airport before screening.

I think FL follows TSA like policy on checking guns in at airports - that once you are at an airport it has to be in a locked case in the baggage so you can check it in. Its not like many states where you can just open carry or have it in a normal bag holstered or whatever inside the airport before you reach TSA.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I think FL follows TSA like policy on checking guns in at airports - that once you are at an airport it has to be in a locked case in the baggage so you can check it in. Its not like many states where you can just open carry or have it in a normal bag holstered or whatever inside the airport before you reach TSA.

Thats what the new legislation is trying to change. So many states allow carry in non boarding areas.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Cant be open and visible but so long as you have your CWP, it can be holstered and under your shirt and anywhere in the airport before security. Without a CWP, it needs to be locked in a case, unloaded and can't go beyond bag check.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Do that at ANY airport in Florida and enjoy your stay at the grey bar hotel.
Just renewed my CWP license and what is considered a federally protected area and whats not was covered in nauseum, you're ok before security so long as you are not brandishing

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I have had a CWP since 1987 and I am a gun shop owner as well as an NRA certified instructor. I have heard many translations of the law on this issue. Personally, I will likely refrain until the new legislation is passed.

While this is older, I have yet to see anything updating it.
https://www.floridacarry.org/issues...in-44-states-but-florida-will-put-you-in-jail

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article60636676.html

http://floridapolitics.com/archives/227947-guns-airports

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.