Mac and Company on the Trail

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think it is both lack of effort and lack of charisma.

This makes perfect sense. UF does have a lot to offer recruits. We are behind in the arms race so to speak but from things I've read......gotta be a huge part of the problem.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Well if that is actually true only total replacement will suffice, Time will tell but I really hope that is not the answer.
That's what everyone is hoping for. They know Mac won't get fired until after next season at the very earliest, but we can find a high level recruiter on defense, replace Nord, and replace Summers.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The only positions we should really be looking outside of Florida is QB, PK and punter.
I think you add Southern Georgia to the mix and keep an eye open from Texas thru Virginia to cherry pick if you can. But yes, at minimum 90% of all offers should be in state. They should be building relationships with the coaches so that the coaches feel like they are part of the program. That way when a local coach sees a 8th or 9th grader that is good, they can tell the regional recruiter to keep an eye on the kid and take a look. You have to have these coaches on your side, and right now they seem to be with FSU, Bama, and OSU.

Last edited:

NoGaGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2014
I agree about locking up Florida but that's something you won't see happen (under Mac) unless Jimbo leaves. We have to go "out of state" right now because FSU/Bama/OSU/Clemson/Miami are all kicking our a$$ in the state of Florida.

To add more fuel to the fire...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...er-florida/ar-BBxuKRI?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=UP19DHP

UF is only mentioned once in this article. Flagship university in talent-rich state and Bama/OSU/Clemson come pillage from out of state.

UF recruiting is the worst I can recall.

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We are behind in the arms race so to speak but from things I've read......gotta be a huge part of the problem.
If we were destroying our opponents in games, it would not matter if the kids had to live in TeePee's - they would come here to play. Unfortunately, we are now working on seven years of a **** show offense and we have a low energy, lazy coaching staff who are not making connections with the elite Florida high school programs and elite recruits.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So say Champ had no issues getting offensive linemen? I agree that this crew has had problems, but is it just their personalities? Seems like our current DC was thought to be a great recruiter especially in that talent rich area of south florida.

Actually he didn't. The problem is that he just didn't recruit any for 2 seasons. His biggest issue with recruiting was that he left huge positional gaps. His last 2 years he stocked up. His last year (Mac's 1st class) he had around 6 OL at one point. It was just too late at that point.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Actually he didn't. The problem is that he just didn't recruit any for 2 seasons. His biggest issue with recruiting was that he left huge positional gaps. His last 2 years he stocked up. His last year (Mac's 1st class) he had around 6 OL at one point. It was just too late at that point.

So, it's not that chump is incapable, he's just an idiot.

BTW, I will counter your argument. The offense was so horrible with chump, he probably missed on a few OL, but claimed he didn't want them anyway.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So, it's not that chump is incapable, he's just an idiot.

BTW, I will counter your argument. The offense was so horrible with chump, he probably missed on a few OL, but claimed he didn't want them anyway.

The year before he left he actually had a great offensive class. We were just so abysmal on offense that when it came down to it they didn't believe the hype and they abandoned the class. Basically two 5* players in Dalvin Cook and the receiver from South Florida whose name escapes me.

As far as the O-line you're right. He was an idiot. He thought he could just use JUCO lineman or transfers. He did not understand the Importance of a line to grow up and play together. This led to fractured play and continuity.

The only positions that I thought he actually recruited poorly was receiver.

As for QB, Driskel, Brissett, and Grier were all elite at their positions.

His recruiting classes were so off-balance though that it led to gaping holes in positions. Where a couple injuries would totally decimate the position. We saw that with linebacker (particularly with the Georgia Southern game where all linebackers that played were walk-ons) and we definitely saw it at OL.

We are seeing that trend continued under Mac. But to make matters worse, if he does not shore up this class, we will have two years of not enough recruits on either line of scrimmage.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The year before he left he actually had a great offensive class. We were just so abysmal on offense that when it came down to it they didn't believe the hype and they abandoned the class. Basically two 5* players in Dalvin Cook and the receiver from South Florida whose name escapes me.

As far as the O-line you're right. He was an idiot. He thought he could just use JUCO lineman or transfers. He did not understand the Importance of a line to grow up and play together. This led to fractured play and continuity.

The only positions that I thought he actually recruited poorly was receiver.

As for QB, Driskel, Brissett, and Grier were all elite at their positions.

His recruiting classes were so off-balance though that it led to gaping holes in positions. Where a couple injuries would totally decimate the position. We saw that with linebacker (particularly with the Georgia Southern game where all linebackers that played were walk-ons) and we definitely saw it at OL.

We are seeing that trend continued under Mac. But to make matters worse, if he does not shore up this class, we will have two years of not enough recruits on either line of scrimmage.
Ermon Lane. Now a DB at FSU. I believe Wilson said he shut him down in HS and he'd shut him down in college.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015

Well not getting any is a failure in recruiting, so he did have issues in recruiting. Not that it makes our current issues not important.

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
So I heard that CB Blades might flip now. Are we going to end up with a recruiting class at all this year? I read somewhere that Blades removed UF from his Twitter and is using a picture of Heath Ledger's joker as his avatar or whatever you call it. Cronkrite also used the Ledger joker on Twitter when he was upset about playing time. Who would even use Ledger's joker as an avatar? Lame! Also does that make McElwain, Batman?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
So I heard that CB Blades might flip now. Are we going to end up with a recruiting class at all this year? I read somewhere that Blades removed UF from his Twitter and is using a picture of Heath Ledger's joker as his avatar or whatever you call it. Cronkrite also used the Ledger joker on Twitter when he was upset about playing time. Who would even use Ledger's joker as an avatar? Lame! Also does that make McElwain, Batman?

Most likely, it means Mac should be projecting the bat-signal rescue beacon in the dark sky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.