Mac doesnt want to practice

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
No one is getting extra practice time. The NCAA hasn't changed the number of hours a team is allowed to practice.

The NCAA no longer allows teams to have multiple contact or conditioning sessions in a single day. The recommendation is that teams have contact in the morning followed by at least three consecutive hours of no contact or conditioning and then walk throughs in the afternoon. The team can conduct meetings, watch film, etc. during the three hour no contact period.

However, the NCAA is allowing teams to start fall practice one week earlier than usual to allow more time in which contact periods can be separated. The change in starting times does not change the NCAA limitation on the number of practice hours in the pre-season.

"The preseason may be extended by one week in the calendar year to accommodate the lost practice time from elimination of two-a-days, and to help ensure that players obtain the necessary skill set for competitive play."

Mac is not being lazy or choosing not to practice.

I don't think Mac is lazy or choosing not to practice. My simple question is...would we benefit from the extra week? Specifically, the offense. I understand the allotted hours might be the same. Couldn't the players choose to spend more time voluntarily anyhow...wink, wink. It's not mandatory but yeah it really is...or is that skirting the rules...

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
I don't think Mac is lazy or choosing not to practice. My simple question is...would we benefit from the extra week? Specifically, the offense. I understand the allotted hours might be the same. Couldn't the players choose to spend more time voluntarily anyhow...wink, wink. It's not mandatory but yeah it really is...or is that skirting the rules...

They are already doing that and have been all summer. So has everyone else.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Extra film does wonders and there's nothing wrong with keeping fresh legs if they get in enough conditioning during the practices they have. :dunno:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
No secret that I'm not a Mac fan, but what's the big deal? This was just further proof the guy can't convey a thought publicly, but that's nothing new,

GatorSkin

Founding Member
Nord for President 2020
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
No secret that I'm not a Mac fan, but what's the big deal? This was just further proof the guy can't convey a thought publicly, but that's nothing new,
That's basically it I have zero problem with him using that time for walk thoughs with no pads instead of an extra week of practice. It makes more sense.

His not being able to communicate that at all is the problem.

Picture Mac sitting down with a recruit and his parents to go over his plans for their son once he gets on campus.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
sleeping-on-gym-800x445.jpg

Life of a Champion
by
Mac

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Seems like I remember SOS scaling back on practice and hitting,. All I know is I had a coach in HS (former UF FB from the late 50s.) had us hit all the damned time. Two a days in Aug. and even during the season we hit mon tues wed. shorts and shoulder pads on thurs but some of us still took shots. By the playoffs our legs were dead.

Yes, but just as Mac isn't Saban, he's also not Spurrier.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
You are right, he is neither one and that is who they WANT him to be..............

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
That's basically it I have zero problem with him using that time for walk thoughs with no pads instead of an extra week of practice. It makes more sense.

His not being able to communicate that at all is the problem.

Picture Mac sitting down with a recruit and his parents to go over his plans for their son once he gets on campus.
I think this may actually be a problem. I'd never thought about it. This probably spills over into recruiting. Actually explains alot.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
"It’s interesting, it obviously causes a lot of things to talk about," he said. "And yet, you’re making sure the organizational piece that you get it in without wearing them out. You know what I mean? Look our whole deal here is to try and help them get some time on their own and yet we’re increasing the time that they can be there, right?"

WTF is it about Gator football coaches lacking the ability to articulate a clear thought? It not that freakin' hard! Zook, Meyer, Muschamp and now McElwain are all mush mouthed babblers who make no sense when they speak. It's like they are concentrating so hard on trying to be cute that they get lost halfway through a thought. It's unbelievably aggravating to listen to.

I went to hear Mac in Orlando at the Gator Gathering when he first got hired and came away shaking my head. I swear he spoke for 30 minutes and I couldn't explain to you a damn thing he said. Granted, this appears to be pretty normal for a lot of football coaches but it seems that we've had more than our share.

Last edited:

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I wonder how Saban is handling this with a big 1st game also.

I searched several different ways & went to their rolltide website plus al.com. I could not find a start date for Alabama's practices.

Question: does the new start date rule affect the total coaching contact hours allowed in preseason practice? If not, then the question as to whether your better off with an intensive week vs. a less intensive 2 weeks is not as clear as our equus asinus palus friend presumes.

Last edited:

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
A lot to be figured in with the new start dates, schedules, and so on. I'm ok with it especially if the pads are off a bit more. One less week, maybe one less injury that has been crucial. Get them in the weight and film room. Also how does it effect the contact hours???

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I searched several different ways & went to their rolltide website plus al.com. I could not find a start date for Alabama's practices.

Question: does the new start date rule affect the total coaching contact hours allowed in preseason practice? If not, then the question as to whether your better off with an intensive week vs. a less intensive 2 weeks is not as clear as our equus asinus palus friend presumes.
My understanding is it does not change the total number of practice hours it only changes when they can begin. That being said apparently we are losing those practice hours and doing walkthrus instead. I don't know that for sure because our coach doesn't speak English but the athletic dept's spokesman 2222 saod it earlier.

Last edited:

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Mac has one of those coaching personalities where if he's losing everybody thinks he's a clown but if he's winning his corny persona becomes an object of endearment.

GatorSkin

Founding Member
Nord for President 2020
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Mac has one of those coaching personalities where if he's losing everybody thinks he's a clown but if he's winning his corny persona becomes an object of endearment.
His personality has been annoying to me since his first press conference.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015

Not unlike Bowden. Imagine if he had a metro conference schedule to build upon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.