• Changed diet leading to less PB&J sammiches

Votes: 7 13.2%

• Total voters

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
There's speculation out there about what's caused Mac's sudden change in demeanor. Vote what you think is the reason.

I personally think he's feeling the heat and isn't joking around anymore. Don't think it's due to knowing more suspensions involving the fraud etc, because we've seen him pumped/celebrating with players, and the investigation is said to be wrapping up (and money has been paid back too).

Discuss.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Two things.

1. You've been on the Mac train relentlessly. Don't get off now.

2. Any and all polls are invalid without the Ham Sammich option.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think the gloom and doom demeanor is some facade. I think he knows things are worse than originally thought. That said, I'm holding out hopes this housing director bozo had some dirt on the kids and blackmailed them into the credit card fraud crap. If that ain't what happened, I think we lose a few more players than Smith, Callaway and the one they're still keeping under wraps.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Two things.

1. You've been on the Mac train relentlessly. Don't get off now.

2. Any and all polls are invalid without the Ham Sammich option.

1. Not true, look at my username

2. PB&J sammich > ham sammich

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
He's spent from carrying around his garbage a$$ OC who can't get sh*t done by himself. I'm betting by seasons end he'll wish he fired that bum after the SEC champ game.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
You are about as bipolar as JBoss. You have a new man crush damn near weekly.

You sit on a throne of lies.

I've been in the wait and see camp for quite a while. While I really want Mac to succeed, signs are showing he's not the guy for the job. If he's not, go get me Gundy.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Let's go back to year one when Mac had the outburst when Kelvin Taylor was flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct.

That drew a lot of controversy with a lot of fans across the nation supporting McElwain and a lot fans criticizing him for over-reaction. I don't know what happened in the immediate aftermath, and I am not condoning outbursts like this by coaches, but something happened because since then Mac has become very quiet on the sidelines. And just one incident like that doesn't draw that kind of a reaction by the coach. There had to be multiple instances of similar behavior on the practice field or maybe there was the feeling that some of the players had a sense of entitlement that Mac did not see in some of the other places he coached at. Speculation on my part.

This is all speculation but I think the UF snowflake administration told Foley to tell Mac to tone it down because the school did not want to project this kind of image. We just had three years of outburst by Muschamp and the powers that be just said enough is enough. Mac probably saw Saban get away with stuff like this in Tuscaloosa when Mac was there but it wasn't going to be tolerated in Gainesville. Mac had to adjust.

Mac came here with dreams of building a national championship and a program based on the template used by Saban. But whereas Saban could get pretty much whatever he wanted as far as facilities were concerned, Mac had to plead with Foley to open up the pocketbook some in order to pull UF up to at least the facility standards of an Auburn much less Alabama or Tennessee. Even Ole Miss was going to leave us behind.
Mac got some of what he wanted but darn it was frustrating with all the foot dragging.

Mac soon realized that the fan base at Florida wants a more downfield pass oriented offense whereas he wanted to have an offense more in line with the Saban blue-print. He gave a nod to Spurrier and let SOS come on board as a consultant, but as far as I can tell Spurrier has not had much influence in the day to day operations. It is a matter of offensive football ideology. In the end what worked well for Saban at Alabama does not readily translate to what will work well here.

I might be wrong and you can point out how much off base I am, but these are some of my thoughts. I think Mac has lost his mojo because of some of the struggles and frustrations he has had here. He looks down and defeated as many have commented. There has been some glimmer of hope that with the emergence of Franks at QB and some of the new playmakers like Kadarius Toney. We will have to see how things go up in Lexington. Right now it's just back to the old football adage of playing one game at a time and see what happens. Right now we don't know if we are going to win or lose the next game.

PaterLacerta

Who’s Your Daddy?
Jan 19, 2016
Let's go back to year one when Mac had the outburst when Kelvin Taylor was flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct.

That drew a lot of controversy with a lot of fans across the nation supporting McElwain and a lot fans criticizing him for over-reaction. I don't know what happened in the immediate aftermath, and I am not condoning outbursts like this by coaches, but something happened because since then Mac has become very quiet on the sidelines. And just one incident like that doesn't draw that kind of a reaction by the coach. There had to be multiple instances of similar behavior on the practice field or maybe there was the feeling that some of the players had a sense of entitlement that Mac did not see in some of the other places he coached at. Speculation on my part.

This is all speculation but I think the UF snowflake administration told Foley to tell Mac to tone it down because the school did not want to project this kind of image. We just had three years of outburst by Muschamp and the powers that be just said enough is enough. Mac probably saw Saban get away with stuff like this in Tuscaloosa when Mac was there but it wasn't going to be tolerated in Gainesville. Mac had to adjust.

Mac came here with dreams of building a national championship and a program based on the template used by Saban. But whereas Saban could get pretty much whatever he wanted as far as facilities were concerned, Mac had to plead with Foley to open up the pocketbook some in order to pull UF up to at least the facility standards of an Auburn much less Alabama or Tennessee. Even Ole Miss was going to leave us behind.
Mac got some of what he wanted but darn it was frustrating with all the foot dragging.

Mac soon realized that the fan base at Florida wants a more downfield pass oriented offense whereas he wanted to have an offense more in line with the Saban blue-print. He gave a nod to Spurrier and let SOS come on board as a consultant, but as far as I can tell Spurrier has not had much influence in the day to day operations. It is a matter of offensive football ideology. In the end what worked well for Saban at Alabama does not readily translate to what will work well here.

I might be wrong and you can point out how much off base I am, but these are some of my thoughts. I think Mac has lost his mojo because of some of the struggles and frustrations he has had here. He looks down and defeated as many have commented. There has been some glimmer of hope that with the emergence of Franks at QB and some of the new playmakers like Kadarius Toney. We will have to see how things go up in Lexington. Right now it's just back to the old football adage of playing one game at a time and see what happens. Right now we don't know if we are going to win or lose the next game.

The Saban coaching tree is a myth and so the idea that you can import it into your program is equally illusory. I don't know that Saban has a particular offensive philosophy. I've heard it said that he hates the spread, but the product he puts on the field certainly doesn't reflect that. His offenses have evolved over time. Exhibit A: Compare Mac and Kiffen. It's rather telling that one of Mac's take-aways from his Alabama tenure was how impressed he was by speed of the Urban teams. That Nuss flopped at Michigan is probably an indication that what he was doing there was already passé in Tuscaloosa.

As for SOS, I can't say that he was brought in to do anything other than smooze with Bull Gators. His offenses have evolved over time and by the time he left USCe it appears he didn't have any answers. If he's here to give advice, he's probably doing more harm than good.

The secret in Saban's Sauce is disciplined, fundamental football and cash, lots of cash- http://www.businessinsider.com/alabama-football-coaches-salaries-2017-2017-5. As to the former, this apparently can't be accomplished by most of the highly paid D1 coaches of the world. It certainly isn't happening here. As to the latter, this isn't a case of carping or excuses, just statement of fact. Since the state of Alabama is so closely identified with that football program, the sky is the limit. (That there is an institution of higher education associated with it seems an afterthought.) I don't know how to describe this: you just have to live around it to understand that its an oddity that can't be duplicated anywhere else.

Last edited:

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think he is simply playing the "oh look how pitiful I am so feel sorry for me" card.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Florida ain't an easy job. Maybe he has realized that
It's really not. SOS made it look like the easiest gig in the land, but times have changed. As Law always points out, the TV money has leveled the playing field in a lot of areas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb