Manly (or un-manly?) drinks

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
So Brad (who else) got the box going with his 'Summer Shandy' beer upon which much scorn and derision was heaped - such as:
Bernie: "That's not really a beer"
Cooter: "if i was gon drink alcohol it would be somethin like vodka or bourbon"
DelG8tor: disagrees with Brad that it's really a beer: "No, it's a "Summer Shandy"! So get off it."
Gren: "no surprise here, That's a man's drink. Like Mike's Hard Lemonade Watermelon flavor. :lmao2:

Brad's response:
image.jpg

So that got me thinking is there an "official" list of un-manly drinks.
According to girly-drinks.com here's their take on what men should never order:

1. Wine Spritzer
2. Apple-tini
3. BJ Shot
4. Vodka w/ Cranberry
5. Mike’s Hard Anything
6. Water*
7. Michelob Ultra
8. Anything with Diet Coke
9. Zima w/ Jolly Rancher
10. Cosmopolitan

* Funny little side note is “water” is on the list. If you go out to a bar, it is uncool to drink water. Be a man and grab a Bud Light! It's basically the same thing.

anything else to add to the list?

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If a summer shandy, in the dead of summer, after 3+ hours of yard work.... is a girlie drink.... then I am happily guilty!

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My wife loves a mimosa. I refuse to drink that out of principle.

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I am the head griller for our swim team. We have swim meets Wednesday nights and Saturday mornings. Of course we all drink beer during the night meets. The meets are normally over by noon so we never drank anything until a new guy joined the grilling team. He brought a couple of bottles of bubbly and a jug of OJ a couple of years ago and it has been downhill ever since. I hate champagne but mixed with OJ on a hot summer morning while slaving over three hot grills and it tastes delicious.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
WTF is a summer shandy? Is it like a sweaty handjob or something?

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Anything "frozen".

Anything containing strawberries, bananas, pineapple, coconut, mango, papaya, etc. Olives, onions, lemon, lime, and sometimes orange or a maraschino cherry are ok.

Anything that comes with a little umbrella.

Anything pink.

Anything with chocolate.

Anything with whipped cream or ice cream.

Anything alcoholic you drink out of a straw.

Alex.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Anything "frozen".

Anything containing strawberries, bananas, pineapple, coconut, mango, papaya, etc. Olives, onions, lemon, lime, and sometimes orange or a maraschino cherry are ok.

Anything pink.

Anything with chocolate.

Alex.
Oranges or maraschino cherries are ok? Be careful, Alex...your slip is showing. :lol:

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Oranges or maraschino cherries are ok? Be careful, Alex...your slip is showing. :lol:

False.

I've spent some time behind a bar. These ingredients do appear in some real drinks.

A Manhattan and its cousin the Rob Roy are not girly drinks and they come with a maraschino cherry. And for the record (again, I don't know who takes these records or where they are kept) a REAL maraschino cherry is nothing like what gets put on top of sundaes and what most bars use. It's a sour cherry (pitted and stemmed) simmered in maraschino liqueur (with a bit of sugar). Top notch bartenders used to have to make their own but they are now available as "natural" maraschino cherries in some stores. The bright red or green garbage in a jar is blasphemy--and disgusting. If I'm in a dive bar (and I love dive bars) and they use those crappy jarred maraschino cherries, I pass. I don't even like those things on a milkshake much less in a Manhattan.

There is only 1 manly drink involving those terrible jarred maraschino cherries. It was called a cherry bomb before that name started being used for a different shot. First time I had it was in New Orleans in the mid 90's. You get a jar of those terrible jarred maraschino cherries. You pour all that disgusting liquid down the drain. You refill the jar with straight grain alcohol. Boom. A few days later, it's ready. In New Orleans, they served us the cherries (3 at a time if I recall correctly) in a small paper cup. Like lava going down. Chewing them was the worst. I've also seen them served shooter style with a cherry, a bit of the grain juice, and some beer. One of my roommates in college tried to replicate this by pouring out the liquid and re-filling the jar with grain. He wanted to use the fiery things the way you would a normal maraschino cherry (a nasty and unpleasant surprise for those not warned in advance). At one of our parties, on a dare, another roommate drank all the grain juice straight out of the jar. He puked his guts out a few minutes later. Surprised we didn't have to hospitalize him.

As for the orange, many liquors go well with a citrus twist. I'm not talking about dropping a lime wedge in your rum n' coke. A citrus twist is when you cut a small, thin piece of the outer citrus skin (called the "zest"). Twisting it (the "twist") over the drink then dropping it in releases the citrus oils into the drink. Sometimes a fancy bartender will use a match to flame the twist which changes the flavor (and makes an eye-catching presentation). I'm a bourbon guy and I usually take my bourbon rocks but if I'm at a really good bar (with a really good bartender) I'll sometimes get it with a flamed orange twist. Really good together.

Alex.

Last edited:

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Anything "frozen".

Anything pink.

Anything with chocolate.

Alex.
If drinking a Pina Colada on a beach in Jamaica with a hot chick in a bikini is 'unmanly', well you can sign me up.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
If a summer shandy, in the dead of summer, after 3+ hours of yard work.... is a girlie drink.... then I am happily guilty!

First shandy I ever had was ginger beer from the Caribbean. Not beer mixed with ginger ale, beer flavored with ginger. Excellent. Nothing unmanly about it. I loved a drink called a Dark and Stormy. Ginger beer with dark rum (Gosling's Black Seal).

As for this particular shandy, I have never tasted it and have no opinion.

Alex.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

On the other hand, I do have an opinion on your delivery of the "finger".

You're doing it wrong. What grown ass man doesn't know how to properly deliver the finger?

Unless maybe there is an identifying tattoo on your inner wrist you are attempting to conceal (which is unmanly in itself)?

Forget your drink choices. I'm revoking your man card until you learn the proper delivery of the finger.

Here's a little help from The Man In Black:

Picture-6.png

Alex.

PS Nice spread though.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

Sometimes we do mimosas tailgating for early games. Champagne or Prosecco, good OJ with a bit of either peach or apricot nectar, and some vodka to kick up the horsepower.

I'm not saying I've ever actually drank one but if you see me before a game with a red solo cup full of something orange on the rocks...

...you don't ask, and I won't tell. :whistle:

Alex.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
On the other hand, I do have an opinion on your delivery of the "finger".

You're doing it wrong. What grown ass man doesn't know how to properly deliver the finger?

Unless maybe there is an identifying tattoo on your inner wrist you are attempting to conceal (which is unmanly in itself)?

Forget your drink choices. I'm revoking your man card until you learn the proper delivery of the finger.

Here's a little help from The Man In Black:

Picture-6.png

Alex.

PS Nice spread though.

I will admit it was an awkward delivery. It was the first time a tried to take a selfie of me giving the bird to someone in the box. Go ahead and try it.... Give yourself the bird. It doesn't really work.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
First shandy I ever had was ginger beer from the Caribbean. Not beer mixed with ginger ale, beer flavored with ginger. Excellent. Nothing unmanly about it. I loved a drink called a Dark and Stormy. Ginger beer with dark rum (Gosling's Black Seal).

As for this particular shandy, I have never tasted it and have no opinion.

Alex.

Dark and stormy is one of my favorite drinks. And I have found some craft ginger beers at Fresh Market that are truly amazing. It takes that drink, and Moscow and Kentucky Mules, to a whole new level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.