Market Mondays (15 Fastest Growing Cities in the US)

Where would you rather live?

• San Antonio

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Austin

• Tampa

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Denver

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • San Fran

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Orlando (You can stay with Urg rent free)

• Atlanta

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • NYC-Newark

• Miami

• Houston

• Total voters

CaGator91

Nov 16, 2015
Good morning all. Hope everyone is having a great start to their week so far. I had an idea this morning that I would have a segment each Monday that deals with various topics such as Real Estate, Finance, the Economy, etc. "Market Mondays" was the best I could think of. Anyway, for the debut I think it would be interesting to look at an article by Forbes that I read this morning in my office during some down time. The article was the 15 fastest growing cities in the US. This particular list really intrigued me because of the cities that were listed. I thought I would list each one in the order they were presented, and provide any comments (if any) I had to make on the particular city:

Article link: http://www3.forbes.com/business/the-fastest-growing-u-s-cities-the-latest-numbers/16/

15. San Antonio: Having spent a lot of time in SA over the years, I definitely believe this ranking. With SA being located in central/west Texas, it makes sense that it's capitalizing on the success of the energy business over there.
14. Austin, Texas: I haven't spent too much time in Austin so I can't really analyze the reason for their growth, but I know they aren't as nearly as energy dependent as most other Texas cities, so this is pretty impressive.
13. Tampa, Florida: I have been to Tampa a good bit over the years, but I don't know the reason why their growth is so great. Decent cost of living maybe? If anyone can shed light on this then go for it.
12. Denver
11: San Fran
10: Orlando: I wasn't surprised at all by this listing. I know there are plenty of fellow Gators out there that are either from Orlando or live there currently, so I'm sure they could provide better analysis than I could.
9: Seattle:
8. Washington-Arlington: Not really sure why the DC area is growing so much. To me the COL always seemed way too high.
7. Miami:
6. Los Angeles
5. NYC-Newark: Newark is one of the worst towns I've ever been to.
3. Phoenix
2. Atlanta: My sister lives in Atlanta and my wife were over there in May visiting her. We were shocked by how many people had moved to the area. Personally, I never cared for Atlanta. It always seemed dull to me, with a lack of character. My wife and I drove around the area and looked at some houses while we were there for fun and couldn't believe how much a seemingly average house cost. I suppose its job opportunities?
1. Houston-Sugar Land- The Woodlands: I was definitely not surprised to see this. As we all know, Houston is an oil town and a petrochemical town. Even with the oil slump over the last three years or so, Houston is still a powerhouse. The reason for that is the fact that Houston diversified economically. While we still are an oil town, its no longer our only source of prosperity. Fourtune 500 companies from all over the world have based their headquarters here in Houston. And while oil has slumped, petrochemical production is at an all time high. The cost of living and housing prices are also extremely manageable. My wife and I (born and raised Houstonians) moved back here in January and we can't believe the opportunities that we have already been presented. We are about to close on our first house in a great neighborhood. We got an awesome deal on a house that we could have never afforded somewhere else. Low COF, plenty of jobs, strong salaries, fair house prices, great infrastructure, and all the amenities one would hope to have in the 4th largest city in the US.

Thanks everyone who decided to read the first installment for "Market Mondays". Please feel free to make any comments and shed some light!

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Moving from D.C. to Denver at the end of the month.

Upside?
Denver's economy is looking pretty bright as well as the job situation.
There are also dispensaries :bandit: for those that imbibe (which also helps the economy) .
Traffic is manageable.
Rockies, Avalanche, Nuggets and Broncos.
Cool downtown area...
Rocky Mountains nearby with camping, fishing, hiking...
Big Gator club there.

Downside?
Californians moving there

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
None of the above, nor would I want any of you nutjobs living with me :lol:

CaGator91

Nov 16, 2015
Moving from D.C. to Denver at the end of the month.

Upside?
Denver's economy is looking pretty bright as well as the job situation.
There are also dispensaries :bandit: for those that imbibe (which also helps the economy) .
Traffic is manageable.
Rockies, Avalanche, Nuggets and Broncos.
Cool downtown area...
Rocky Mountains nearby with camping, fishing, hiking...
Big Gator club there.

Downside?
Californians moving there
Makes total sense. We drove through Denver about 13 years ago and I remember it being a really nice city. And in regards to California, they need to go ahead and split from the US like they wanted to do a few years ago.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
None of the above, nor would I want any of you nutjobs living with me :lol:
Agreed. This should have been an option in the poll:
cheese-and-ham-step-2.gif

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Easy. Denver.

I'll never live in Texas.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Denver is the shiznit. Also, which one of you mooks picked atlanta? F v c k georgia.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I live in Tampa Bay and have for going on 40 years. I think it's a relatively attractive place to live in terms of obvious aesthetics, reasonable real estate prices, still friendly people (though not as friendly as years ago), taxes and, to a far lesser degree, the schools. I would not move my family here if schools were the No. 1 priority unless you're budgeted for private schools.

It remains a cowtown, the roadways are 15 years behind the curve and I find the weather oppressive from June 1 to October 1. Those are the downsides.

Overall, the upside outweighs the downside.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
We've been in Casselberry 3 years and my office is in downtown Orlando. The population boom is largely retirees and Puerto Rican's escaping their island's implosion. There is also a big influx of 20-30 somethings mad about craft beer and farmers' markets. Still, it feels very much a medium Florida city wrapped around by the tourist meccas.

There's a lot to do. I really need to take better advantage of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator