Marquee names set for Junior Day

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Agree on struggling, again. We need to add 2 or more early commits asap....or the perception we had last cycle will continue.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Our 2291 points on Rivals this year would have been 13th last year and 14th the year before.

The reason is the top teams recruited at a record pace. The rich got richer so there was a huge gap created. And though it appears we may have gained ground the class was actually in line with a 13th or 14th rated class.

Before any one goes nuts...2222 and I had this discussion and he can add more to what I am saying. You will be surprised at his response.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Hey, we are well within the top 50 and ahead of North Texas and FAU. What more could you expect?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Can't read the article b/c I'm not a premium subscriber. Can you post the list?

Here's the story from SEC Country:

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/big-recruiting-weekend-florida-gators

Friday visitors
A day after hosting Kentucky quarterback Jarren Williams (Lawrenceville, Ga.) and offering him, Florida had four recruits on campus Friday.

The top visitor was Iverson Clement from Mount Holly, N.J., a 4-star athlete according to the 247Sports composite. The Gators are recruiting him as a running back, and this was his second trip to UF. Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State are the other schools in the mix.

Another running back, 3-star recruit Jashaun Corbin from Melbourne, Fla., visited as well. Corbin has had a big recruiting month, landing offers from Florida, LSU, Michigan, Notre Dame and South Carolina in March.

The Gators also hosted a pair of 2019 teammates in wide receiver Jashawn Sheffield and athlete Jaylin Simpson from Saint Simons Island, Ga. Both hold offers from Florida, and Sheffield is considered an elite recruit for 2019.

Junior day
UF will hold another junior day event Saturday, and a handful of top prospects are expected to attend.

The biggest name in town will be William Barnes, a 4-star offensive tackle from Apopka, Fla. He’s visiting Florida for the second time in as many months and also favors North Carolina and Miami.

Barnes was impressed by new Gators offensive line coach Brad Davis on his last trip.

“It was my first time talking to Brad Davis face-to-face,” Barnes told SEC Country. “I can see that he’s a great coach and he’s looking out for me. After talking with Coach Davis, I definitely feel a bond with him coming on.”

Amari Burney visited UF in January and is returning Saturday. The 4-star safety from Clearwater, Fla., will announce his decision on June 1 between Florida and Ohio State.

Burney likes the Gators’ track record with defensive backs.

“They send DBs to the NFL every year,” Burney told SEC Country. “I can see myself playing in that secondary. Going to the NFL has been my No. 1 goal since I was little, and I can do that with a school like Florida.”

The Gators are the team to beat for 4-star defensive end Malcolm Lamar (Seffner, Fla.) and 3-star linebacker Caleb Johnson (Columbus, Ga.), and both will visit Saturday.

UF is also expected to host 4-star wide receiver Joshua Moore (IMG Academy) and 3-star running back Leddie Brown (Smyrna, Del.), who received an offer from the Gators last month.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Here's the story from SEC Country:

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/big-recruiting-weekend-florida-gators

Friday visitors
A day after hosting Kentucky quarterback Jarren Williams (Lawrenceville, Ga.) and offering him, Florida had four recruits on campus Friday.

The top visitor was Iverson Clement from Mount Holly, N.J., a 4-star athlete according to the 247Sports composite. The Gators are recruiting him as a running back, and this was his second trip to UF. Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State are the other schools in the mix.

Another running back, 3-star recruit Jashaun Corbin from Melbourne, Fla., visited as well. Corbin has had a big recruiting month, landing offers from Florida, LSU, Michigan, Notre Dame and South Carolina in March.

The Gators also hosted a pair of 2019 teammates in wide receiver Jashawn Sheffield and athlete Jaylin Simpson from Saint Simons Island, Ga. Both hold offers from Florida, and Sheffield is considered an elite recruit for 2019.

Junior day
UF will hold another junior day event Saturday, and a handful of top prospects are expected to attend.

The biggest name in town will be William Barnes, a 4-star offensive tackle from Apopka, Fla. He’s visiting Florida for the second time in as many months and also favors North Carolina and Miami.

Barnes was impressed by new Gators offensive line coach Brad Davis on his last trip.

“It was my first time talking to Brad Davis face-to-face,” Barnes told SEC Country. “I can see that he’s a great coach and he’s looking out for me. After talking with Coach Davis, I definitely feel a bond with him coming on.”

Amari Burney visited UF in January and is returning Saturday. The 4-star safety from Clearwater, Fla., will announce his decision on June 1 between Florida and Ohio State.

Burney likes the Gators’ track record with defensive backs.

“They send DBs to the NFL every year,” Burney told SEC Country. “I can see myself playing in that secondary. Going to the NFL has been my No. 1 goal since I was little, and I can do that with a school like Florida.”

The Gators are the team to beat for 4-star defensive end Malcolm Lamar (Seffner, Fla.) and 3-star linebacker Caleb Johnson (Columbus, Ga.), and both will visit Saturday.

UF is also expected to host 4-star wide receiver Joshua Moore (IMG Academy) and 3-star running back Leddie Brown (Smyrna, Del.), who received an offer from the Gators last month.

Thanks for posting.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Don't look now but we have one that's won the SEC East 2 years in a row....

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Run down from Junior Day:

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/jim-mcelwain-happy-with-turnout-for-floridas-junior-day

Saturday success
Florida held a junior day event Saturday and several targets attended, including top-100 overall prospect William Barnes from Apopka, Fla.

Gators coach Jim McElwain mentioned the big recruiting weekend Monday during his press conference.

“We had a lot of good players here from a recruiting standpoint,” McElwain said. “They had an opportunity to get on the field and actually watch guys in drills work. … Our guys are doing a really good job, our coaches, as far as getting people to campus and seeing the things we have going on.

“(Recruits) were actually able to get out there and see the coaches coach and the players go through it, you know, up close. Not just sitting in the stands or sitting on the sideline. And I thought that worked out pretty well.”

In addition to Barnes, the nation’s No. 7 offensive tackle and No. 67 overall recruit in the 247Sports Composite, the Gators also hosted 4-star safeties Amari Burney (Clearwater, Fla.) and C.J. Smith (West Palm Beach, Fla.), 4-star offensive guard Tank Jenkins (Montgomery, Ala.) and 4-star defensive end Malcolm Lamar (Seffner, Fla.).

Barnes is pictured with Burney and Lamar below.

View image on Twitter
C7y8Re2VUAITTW1.jpg:small

Follow
➕W️➕®☄️ @barneswilliam7

That visit doe
1f60d.png
27a1.png
1f40a.png
1f44c-1f3fe.png
#Gatornation

6:02 PM - 25 Mar 2017

“You have these junior days, or whatever they’re called. We just have days,” McElwain said. “I mean, whatever fits into your schedule. There isn’t a specific time. But the thing that I think worked out for us this last weekend is because of the spring breaks, we had a lot of really good players that were able to get in here. And even during the week, which was great.”

Leddie Brown, a 3-star running back who has a relationship with new UF assistant Ja’Juan Seider, visited from Delaware. Florida also landed a commitment Saturday from 2019 wide receiver Frank Ladson, who was primarily recruited by secondary coach Corey Bell.

View image on Twitter
C7y0FNcW0AA9t9i.jpg:small

Follow
LB4 #1Fan!!! @pocketsempty_4

What Y'all think @Gator Nation

5:33 PM - 25 Mar 2017

• McElwain said the additions of Bell and Seider have already paying dividends in recruiting.

“I think in their cases, being aware of the young players because they’ve been recruiting those areas, even though it was at different spots,” McElwain said. “They knew the names, they obviously have taken to our needs and how we go about not only the player, but who the guys are as far as their makeup and the type of guys we want to be Gators. Their familiarity with their areas … that’s big. There isn’t like a whole learning curve.”

News & notes
  • New offensive line coach Brad Davis has also been a hit on the recruiting trail and UF made the cut for a pair of 4-star linemen over the weekend: Curtis Dunlap (IMG Academy) and Cleveland Reed (Lakeland, Fla.). Reed visited Friday, while Dunlap made it to Florida on March 17.
View image on Twitter
C75BYubV4AEEXYn.jpg:small

Follow
51 @Curtisdunlapjr

Top 5.
Georgia
1f436.png

Florida
1f40a.png

Michigan
303d.png

Arkansas