Mary Wise

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Surely you joke, she is the Vball coach, and a great and highly successful one to boot.

No, I wasn’t joking. I now know who she is and yes, she’s got an impressive record, but I didn’t know her by name, anymore than I know the gymnastics/women’s basketball/track & field/golf/swimming/etc. coaches by name. I’m happy that we’re competitive in many of these second tier sports but I’m not going to pretend that I know the coaches by name. I suspect I’m not in the minority on this board regarding this, either.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I guess nobody's been able to "buy" her away all this time because her husband is the Gator's Bball color commentator on radio.? Could that only happen with a female HC? Certainly glad we have Mary Wise. Hey Stricklin, make since this time; give Mary a raise and an extension - that'd be a very Wise move.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I loved seeing how excited she was watching her team celebrate. Also the way her team fought back in he 4th and 5th sets was clutch, thank God they didn't play We Won't Back Down before we made our comeback as seems to fire other team up more than us at the football games.
Have to say that one of the cool things about watching the women's teams in general is the pure joy in playing (and winning) that they exude. Volleyball and softball anyway because they play the sport as well as the men. Can't really watch them play round ball.

Woodroe

Sir Knowitall
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
By one year and Foley was in the office as Senior Assoc. AD. Stop trying to take credit away where credit is due.
Mrs. Foley, is that you in disguise again. Please do not drag me down into the pit of hell which is educating Foley apologists about how wrong they are about him and his tenure.

I frankly just don't have the time, motivation, stamina, incentive, etc. These conversations always end up the same way. I don't give credit for anything accomplished that would have been accomplished by the average AD. I place blame where he screwed up what the average AD would not have. This is the wins above replacement approach. And the calculus always comes back with Foley below average as an AD.

So, make all of the arguments you care to. My response will always be "wins above replacement" and I'll always be right and you'll always appear to have the intelligence of volunteer, the sports knowledge of a hurricane, and the uf knowledge of a Yankee that moved down last week and made the best univ in the state your new hometown team. (Good decision, yet no foundation).

Sorry so lengthy and negative. I've just had the argument dozens of times and it always goes the same way. Trying to save both of us the time and effort and you the face.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mrs. Foley, is that you in disguise again. Please do not drag me down into the pit of hell which is educating Foley apologists about how wrong they are about him and his tenure.

I frankly just don't have the time, motivation, stamina, incentive, etc. These conversations always end up the same way. I don't give credit for anything accomplished that would have been accomplished by the average AD. I place blame where he screwed up what the average AD would not have. This is the wins above replacement approach. And the calculus always comes back with Foley below average as an AD.

So, make all of the arguments you care to. My response will always be "wins above replacement" and I'll always be right and you'll always appear to have the intelligence of volunteer, the sports knowledge of a hurricane, and the uf knowledge of a Yankee that moved down last week and made the best univ in the state your new hometown team. (Good decision, yet no foundation).

Sorry so lengthy and negative. I've just had the argument dozens of times and it always goes the same way. Trying to save both of us the time and effort and you the face.
The irony in your post, "Sir Knowitall" is palpable. You might want to save yourself the time, effort and face.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Well, I posted a link to an article about Coach Wise in the other volleyball thread that was started over a week ago and it goes in depth about her accomplishments, but that's okay, just keep keeping on in this thread. ;-) (emoji's not working for me?)

Yes and OX might not know about her but those of us with a degree on the wall do.
No, I wasn’t joking. I now know who she is and yes, she’s got an impressive record, but I didn’t know her by name, anymore than I know the gymnastics/women’s basketball/track & field/golf/swimming/etc. coaches by name. I’m happy that we’re competitive in many of these second tier sports but I’m not going to pretend that I know the coaches by name. I suspect I’m not in the minority on this board regarding this, either.

OK, I don't know all them either, but someone with that many years and success it was surprising to me that you did not. And you might be correct.

Sorry if I offended you.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Yes and OX might not know about her but those of us with a degree on the wall do.

OK, I don't know all them either, but someone with that many years and success it was surprising to me that you did not. And you might be correct.

Sorry if I offended you.

No, I’m not offended and no apologies needed from you, I was just giving an honest explanation of my thoughts on the matter.

Dunder

Dec 31, 2014
Well, I posted a link to an article about Coach Wise in the other volleyball thread that was started over a week ago and it goes in depth about her accomplishments, but that's okay, just keep keeping on in this thread. ;-) (emoji's not working for me?)
This thread is an inside joke that goes back nearly a decade and a couple of message boards ago. A couple of people here picked up on it and that’s all I was after.

Last edited:

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Dumb and Dumber is the only reason any of us know this song exists.

I had never seen the video for this song... wish it had stayed that way... what did I just watch?

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Wise was coach when I was a student almost 20 years ago. She is a UF icon and I really hope the girls win on Sat.

I thought for sure they were going to choke last night after being up 2 - 0 and getting destroyed in sets 3 and 4, but they played awesome in set 5. Glad I watched!

biggator6

Oct 2, 2014
Seriously.. anyone who claims to be a gator fan.. and certainly anyone who actually set foot on that campus since 1990 damn well should know who Mary Wise is.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Seriously.. anyone who claims to be a gator fan.. and certainly anyone who actually set foot on that campus since 1990 damn well should know who Mary Wise is.
It shocks you that people don’t care about volleyball? :crazy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.