McElwain shouldn't publicly announce his starting QB before Michigan kickoff

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
Yep and he doesnt fit our offense.
So what does fit our offense? I have yet to see what the foundation of this offense is? its it the run game? is it the passing game? is it the RPO? And I hate to say it, but I don't even think this coaching staff knows what that is. Stick with something as the foundation and tweak that due to personnel. Put playmakers into playmaking positions. I think Toney has a tremendous opportunity to excel this year. I am high on him and Massey as breakouts this year.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
So what does fit our offense? I have yet to see what the foundation of this offense is? its it the run game? is it the passing game? is it the RPO? And I hate to say it, but I don't even think this coaching staff knows what that is. Stick with something as the foundation and tweak that due to personnel. Put playmakers into playmaking positions. I think Toney has a tremendous opportunity to excel this year. I am high on him and Massey as breakouts this year.

Who doesnt agree? Just pointing out that Zaire is a square peg in a round hole. Not sure this staff can adapt.

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
Who doesnt agree? Just pointing out that Zaire is a square peg in a round hole. Not sure this staff can adapt.
Leak wasn't a RPO, but meyer tweaked the offense to play to Leaks strengths rather than trotting a freshman Tebow out on the field. He adapted his baseline offense a little to fit personnel. I still don't know what the baseline offense Nuss and Mac are trying to run? is it sandlot offense? just draw up some plays on the Qbs chest in the huddle? are we a run-first team? then let Scarlett have 20-30 carries himself, not divide them up between 3 different backs. I really feel like this is a make it to the 30-40 yd line and let Eddie make all the points type of offense. JMHO.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
He needs to announce the starter a week or two before the game. However, he should start the other guy. For example, name Franks the starter but come the first snap start Zaire. The reason I'd do this is because of how massively different their styles are. Franks is a pocket passer. Zaire is more of a spread option guy. Preparation on defense will be a bit different. Maybe it gives us an edge.
This sends a terrible message.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Does anyone actually expect Mac to publicly name the starter before the Michigan game? I know I don't, and Mac will continue to say over the next few weeks how close the competition is and it will be a game time decision, even though he'll already have his mind made up who it'll be. No coach with a brain cell would announce that before the first snap. Rinse and repeat.
I expect him to give the starter the lion's share of the snaps. Anything else is silly and likely to cause us to lose.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Leak wasn't a RPO, but meyer tweaked the offense to play to Leaks strengths rather than trotting a freshman Tebow out on the field. He adapted his baseline offense a little to fit personnel
That's sarcasm right? Or do you mean he tried to run the option with Leak for 25 games then finally just let Leak throw in the Osux game?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Zaire can hand off and throw dink and dunk as well as the next kid.

Its more like square peg no hole. It doesnt really matter who lines up behind center. We will get the same Nusschump Nuthing offense.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What offense would that be?
Or offense is the same it was under Chimp. Dont fumble, dont throw to the wrong jerseys, and punts are fine. It s Trailerbammer football.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I am not for RB by committee, since that's a demote-connote that one RB is a star followed by others who cannot perform anywhere near #1 RB's level; that isn't what our offense has available to it. Like I said, "keep the hot back in there". However, a back's "spirit" that is thinking that "I can go all out on this (10th bash-run) because I'll get a breather" is more likely to gain more. If the OL has equal belief in Perrine, then a drop-off is unlikely. In addition, we've got to factor in what such "fresh-smash gains" (top-speed quick-hits & power) does to the opposing defense over the span of an unrelenting drive, plus the demoralizing idea: "we can't stop any of these RBs". UF must use its unique talent advantages where they exist = more numerous hi-quality RBs & (hopefully) more numerous hi-quality WRs, speedier-than-usual TEs, etc?? Of course, every move should be "evidence-based" i.e. how do ypc's vary this way or that way. Developing & executing advantages is the name of continuous downfield drives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator