McElwain v. Freeze

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I thought I'd start this thread for discussion of why one is more deserving over the other. Some of you Turds are speaking to the fact that Freeze is a HC in the SEC while McElwain is only in the MWC. Or the fact that McElwain only has 2 years of HC experience and Meyer had 4 all the while Freeze has only 2 years. Some have mentioned CSU losing to Air Force, which runs a triple option, as a point to drive home. I believe Georgia just lost to a team that runs a similar offense.

Let's really look at the background of these coaches:

Jim McElwain
Born in 1962 (52 for you math challenged)
College QB at E. Washington
Montana State (95-99) OC/WR/ST Coach
Louisville (00-02) WR/ST Coach
Mich. St. (03-05) Asst. HC/WR/ST Coach
NFL Oakland Raiders (06) QB Coach
Fresno St. (07) OC/QB Coach
Alabama (08-11) OC/QB Coach
Colorado St. (12-present) Head Coach

Hugh Freeze
Born in 1969 (45 for you math challenged)
No prior Playing Experience (doesn't really matter)
Briarcrest HS (92-94) OC/DB Coach
Briarcrest HS (95-04) Head Coach
Ole Miss (05-07) TE/RC Coach
Lambuth (08-09) Head Coach
Arkansas St. (10) OC
Arkansas St. (11) Head Coach
Ole Miss (12-present) Head Coach

If you are simply going to look at the paper, I think there's a clear favorite who has more experience. If you are going to look at development of talent, I think there's a clear favorite.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Well if we look at it on paper as well....as an asst. coach, JM has coached a Heisman Winner, won an SEC title, and 2 NC's.

To give Freeze equal time 2 bowl victories, (he left Arky St. prior to bowl game) and some HS state championships as well.

No doubt JM has more extensive experience in College and also a bit of NFL exposure as JF stated he was looking for.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, if you look at is as an assistant coach, JM left his job and Bama decided they'd like to actually score points with their next OC.

I think we'd at least try to get an OC who tries to score points and doesn't put the entire stadium and tv audience to sleep.

I can't imagine how far down the list we are if this guy is even being considered. This is Derek Dooleyish.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Imagine if we landed McWhatever. We could recruit a string of QBs named McWhatever.

Imagine, we could steal all those excellent 2 star recruits from CSU to try to repair our recruiting class and take advantage of all his great ties with recruits throughout Montana and Idaho. It's hard to imagine why some thing this would be Fooley's Folley Part 4.

And nature walks. Nature walks are back on the menu, boys.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NV wants us to hire McElwain because the guy is almost coaching out West. If McElwain was doing the exact same things closer to the East coast, NV would laugh at the idea of McElwain being out next HC.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
JM is raved about by former Bama players as a phenomenal motivator.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n120254 said:
Yeah, if you look at is as an assistant coach, JM left his job and Bama decided they'd like to actually score points with their next OC.

I think we'd at least try to get an OC who tries to score points and doesn't put the entire stadium and tv audience to sleep.

I can't imagine how far down the list we are if this guy is even being considered. This is Derek Dooleyish.

I am curious: who would this be?

Based on his pedigree and the results he's produced both as an HC and OC, and that he seems to check every box of the search criteria, if not McElwain, who do you want?

C

Claygator

Founding Member
Founding Member
Law98gator;n120254 said:

Is this the same JM that hung 32 in the Tebow led Gators and 37 on the Muschamp coached defense of Texas?

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Freeze was HC at the Memphis Conference Female Institute, which went, uh.., belly up. Not many have that claim to fame.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I would be satisfied with either one. We all know what Freeze has done. But McElwain in three years went from #106 in total offense in his first year to #13 in 2013 and #12 currently this year. Sure it sucked the first year. Not sure what he walked into but one thing is for sure, he got results. Sure its the MW Conf. But he got results with similar competition, that's coaching. And that's what we've been screaming for.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If you want to know who the homerun hire would be - Freeze. He is recruiting all the same players as we are and has established relationships with them.

But, I believe JM is the better offensive coach.

C

Claygator

Founding Member
Founding Member
Homer J;n120316 said:
If you want to know who the homerun hire would be - Freeze. He is recruiting all the same players as we are and has established relationships with them.

But, I believe JM is the better offensive coach.

I agree. Recruiting is my concern with JM...not whether he is a good offensive coach, that is proven.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Claygator;n120302 said:
Is this the same JM that hung 32 in the Tebow led Gators and 37 on the Muschamp coached defense of Texas?

I love how relatives sign up defend their boy. Is this IP address from Montana or Colorado.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n120350 said:
I love how relatives sign up defend their boy. Is this IP address from Montana or Colorado.

I love how many people sign up just to point out how wrong you are.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, it's gonna be great when the University chooses a new coach. There will be peace and harmony, it will bring the fan base back together.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Claygator;n120302 said:

32 after the dogs were called off in the 3rd. They started running the ball almost exclusively in with over a half quarter left in the 3rd.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Claygator;n120302 said:

Yes, he is

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n120254 said:

In 2009, his offense led the Crimson Tide to a 12–0 regular season record. They then went on to defeat the number one team in the country, the Florida Gators, in the 2009 SEC Championship Game.

There his offense dominated the Gators number one defense in the country and compiled 490 yards of offense, more than twice the yards the Gators defense had averaged giving up all year.

McElwain's offense out rushed the Gators offense 251 yards to 88 yards. 63 of those yards coming from the 2007 Heisman winner Tim Tebow. His offense put up 32 points and held on to the ball for 39 minutes and 37 seconds, almost twice the Gators total of 20 minutes and 23 seconds.
[SUP][6][/SUP]

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

After he left Bama decided they wanted to score points instead.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I think McElwain would do a better job of turning our chicken sh!t into chicken salad. If we start developing some offensive linemen we have enough skill position players on roster to see us through a bad offensive recruiting class this upcoming year. He is also a longer tenured coach probably with more coaching connections and at a higher level of competition overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb