McElwain v. Freeze

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Under McElwain's guidance the 2013 CSU Rams won eight games--the school's most in 12 seasons--and finished with a victory in the New Mexico Bowl over Pac-12 foe Washington State. As monumental as it was to win the school's first bowl game since 2008, it was the way the Rams won, scoring 18 points in the game's final three minutes for a 48-45 victory, that epitomized everything McElwain has worked to instill in his team since his arrival in Fort Collins: To adapt, to overcome, to handle chaos and to never give up.
The New Mexico Bowl win capped an 8-6 season that saw McElwain's team re-write the school's record book in several offensive categories, including new standards for single-season points scored (507) and yards per game (470.8). The 2013 Rams scored 50 or more points four times and topped the 500-yard mark for total offense eight times, both school records, and were the only team in Division I FBS to feature a 3,500-yard passer (Garrett Grayson, 3,696) and a 1,500-yard rusher (Kapri Bibbs, 1,741). CSU ranked 24th in the nation in total offense and 22nd in scoring offense, and showed tremendous balance with a No. 27 rushing rank and No. 30 passing rank.
Colorado State made the second-biggest improvement among FBS schools in scoring offense from 2012 to 2013 (from 100th to 22nd) behind Auburn (from 112th to 12th). The Ram's year-to-year improvement in total offense was fourth-biggest in FBS (100th to 24th) behind Auburn (+104), Washington (+84) and Missouri (+80).

http://www.csurams.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/jim_mcelwain_789708.html
https://twitter.com/ThomasGoldkamp

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n121733 said:
Under McElwain's guidance the 2013 CSU Rams won eight games--the school's most in 12 seasons--and finished with a victory in the New Mexico Bowl over Pac-12 foe Washington State. As monumental as it was to win the school's first bowl game since 2008, it was the way the Rams won, scoring 18 points in the game's final three minutes for a 48-45 victory, that epitomized everything McElwain has worked to instill in his team since his arrival in Fort Collins: To adapt, to overcome, to handle chaos and to never give up.
The New Mexico Bowl win capped an 8-6 season that saw McElwain's team re-write the school's record book in several offensive categories, including new standards for single-season points scored (507) and yards per game (470.8). The 2013 Rams scored 50 or more points four times and topped the 500-yard mark for total offense eight times, both school records, and were the only team in Division I FBS to feature a 3,500-yard passer (Garrett Grayson, 3,696) and a 1,500-yard rusher (Kapri Bibbs, 1,741). CSU ranked 24th in the nation in total offense and 22nd in scoring offense, and showed tremendous balance with a No. 27 rushing rank and No. 30 passing rank.
Colorado State made the second-biggest improvement among FBS schools in scoring offense from 2012 to 2013 (from 100th to 22nd) behind Auburn (from 112th to 12th). The Ram's year-to-year improvement in total offense was fourth-biggest in FBS (100th to 24th) behind Auburn (+104), Washington (+84) and Missouri (+80).
We're not supposed to care about any of that because he's playing bad competition with bad players, even though he has the same bad players on his own roster that still includes players that were on the disastrous team the year before he got there. /lawgic

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
McElwain by all accounts is a good developer of Qbs and WRs. God knows we could use some of that. He may not provide a recruiting boost in year 1, so developing what we have would be paramount. Results on the field next season would do much of the recruiting for him going forward. He's said to be a good motivator.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Coach9;n121741 said:
McElwain by all accounts is a good developer of Qbs and WRs. God knows we could use some of that. He may not provide a recruiting boost in year 1, so developing what we have would be paramount. Results on the field next season would do much of the recruiting for him going forward. He's said to be a good motivator.
I'd say so. He has the #7 passing offense in the country and the only WR with more yards than Amari Cooper in the country.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Coach9;n121741 said:

McElwain if at UF may not pull in a great recruiting class in year 1, but most coaches don't get a great class their first year. However, he seems like the type who can develop talent and teach them to be successful. That is what UF needs...a great teacher and motivator and a coach who 1) gets the most out of his players and 2) expects his players to be disciplined on and off the field.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Claygator;n120302 said:
Is this the same JM that hung 32 in the Tebow led Gators and 37 on the Muschamp coached defense of Texas?

With all due respect, 'hanging" 32 points is not usually considered that impressive.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
divits;n121772 said:
With all due respect, 'hanging" 32 points is not usually considered that impressive.

When it is about double than what the defense is averaging and the Alabama offense stopped in the 3rd quarter against one of the best defenses in Florida history. It's kind of impressive.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
divits;n121772 said:

You do remember how much they absolutely obliterated us in that game, right? They converted like 24 of 23 3rd downs.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Captain Sasquatch;n121783 said:
You do remember how much they absolutely obliterated us in that game, right? They converted like 24 of 23 3rd downs.

anigif_enhanced-16296-1408476591-5.gif

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n121812 said:
Spike math?

No, they literally converted so many 3rd downs that they were awarded an extra one in a postgame ceremony in which Urban pulled his pants down and Saban spanked him three times. Three spanks for what! "Thank you, sir, may I have another?"

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
After reading the details on mcillwain (sp?) I am beginning to think Id be pretty happy about the hire. Ive said for a while I would only want a ferrari coach if he was going to stay here for the long haul (which usually doesnt happen with those types) . I would rather get a good coach who wants to truly build and sustain something for the duration at a legit school verses the 3-5 yr flash in the pants "win a couple titles" guy who bolts out the backdoor at 3am with your baby sister.

I'm good with him and think long term success and dominance would come with that hire. Count me on the Coach Mac Bandwagon at this point! :woohoo:

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I would prefer Freeze over McElwain since Freeze is a solid recruiter and could turn this current disasterous recruiting class into a decent one and continue to bring in great recruiting classes; however, McElwain is a very good coach and would turn UF into a respectable team next year. If he is hired, and I'm starting to think it will be him, then I hope McElwain can be a good enough recruiter to bring in some good players this year and then bring in a great class next year to make up for this year's potentially below average class.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Durty South Swamp;n121848 said:
After reading the details on mcillwain (sp?) I am beginning to think Id be pretty happy about the hire. Ive said for a while I would only want a ferrari coach if he was going to stay here for the long haul (which usually doesnt happen with those types) . I would rather get a good coach who wants to truly build and sustain something for the duration at a legit school verses the 3-5 yr flash in the pants "win a couple titles" guy who bolts out the backdoor at 3am with your baby sister.

I'm good with him and think long term success and dominance would come with that hire. Count me on the Coach Mac Bandwagon at this point! :woohoo:

McElwain would be solid. All the man has to be able to do is field an offense that can fog a mirror, and recruit, and all indications are he can do both. I'd be interested to see who he would have as a D-coordinator, maybe keep Durkin and T-Rob on that side of the ball, Lawing too?

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
divits;n121772 said:

32 points on that Gator team is actually fairly impressive considering every starter and even some back-ups drew NFL paychecks at one point, and many still are.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Gator98MD;n122587 said:
Does anybody know if he goes postal on the sidelines?
I hope so. It's been the only entertainment the last few years.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n122607 said:
I hope so. It's been the only entertainment the last few years.

No no no! That's why we're getting a new HC. To transfer the entertainment back onto the field where it belongs.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
SRSLY? That seems hard to fathom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online