McElwain's press conference (4/3)

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Jim's presser 4/3:

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/live-blog-see-gators-coach-jim-mcelwain-says-spring-practice

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Florida football coach Jim McElwain met with reporters Monday to update spring practice heading into the final week before the Orange & Blue Debut on Friday night.

• “Really good last week. I thought work-wise we were able to get Friday’s scrimmage, I felt we made some real strides in some areas as far as taking care of the football, especially in the passing game. I thought some guys came up with some explosive plays, which was good. Both quarterbacks had their moments really moving the (offense), which was good. … The good thing is really there were no injuries.”
  • “I thought Kadarius (Toney) did some things. He worked with the 2s in there with his package, came up with some explosive runs. And then obviously the packed the box for him and made him throw the ball down the field.”
  • “The tackling was really good. I thought Chauncey Gardner and Marcell Harris really stood defensively in that scrimmage.”
  • “The (spring game) has become a made for television event. We have an hour and 57 minutes to get everything in so we’ll do our best to fit that time frame. … We’ll sit down Wednesday and see how want to split it.”
  • On clarity at the QB position: “We should know a lot. I think it’s starting to sort itself out, and the natural question is, ‘Well, what’s sorting itself out?’ You’ll find out.”
  • Does that mean there is separation: “Yeah. We’re doing good.”
  • On play-calling for spring game: “We don’t need Michigan seeing what we’re doing. … We’ll be fairly vanilla, but the good thing is being vanilla you see how the guys play without the scheme part of it.”
  • Have the QBs progressed as he hoped? “Yeah, they’ve done a good job, and yet, I kind of expected them to as well.”
  • How important is the spring game for them? “Its’ another opportunity. Is it the end all? Absolutely not. We have a body of work, plus what we do over the summer and into Fall camp. There again, it’s another opportunity and that’s the way it’s gotta be approached. I will say I’m excited how they’re playing. It’s been good, we’ve been able to stretch it really good.”
  • On Chauncey Gardner Jr. and Marcell Harris: “Here’s what’s been really good, I think, is Chauncey really getting full time out there at corner, where he had kind of bounced around. I think he became really comfortable, which was good to see. Marcell and the tackling department, made some open-field tackles that didn’t just try to knock him out, got him wrapped up and really kept his head up – the things we talk about. His leadership has been really, really strong throughout the spring. That’s a good thing.”
  • On freshman TE Kemore Gamble: “He’ll be a factor. As of right now, he’ll be playing. He’s just got to continue the communication piece, especially in the blocking stuff we need to do. But here’s the thing I like about him, is he’s willing. When the guy has got courage, he doesn’t back down. He’s got as good of hand-eye coordination, great ball skills as probably anybody on our team.”
  • On Franks bouncing back from spring game struggles last year: “I’m sure he’ll be excited to get out there and redo whatever he did a year ago. Like I said, this is just another piece. It’s not the end-all one way or the other. Let’s face it, the defense is going to know the route combinations the offense is going to know the coverage shells. So it’s not trying to trick anybody as much as let’s see if we can get our second step in the ground, win one on ones.”

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Franks coach was very high on his talent and is sure he will shine here. I look forward to seeing him prove his worth.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We'll be playing vanilla to hide it from Michigan? I wonder which game he'll decide to bust out this super secret offense.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I think our offense can see major improvement IF we have a serviceable QB.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We'll be playing vanilla to hide it from Michigan? I wonder which game he'll decide to bust out this super secret offense.

We've been hiding the offense masterfully for 2 years now, why the sudden concern from Mac? Something just ain't right with this guy....

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
If Michigan sees a screen pass and two runs up the middle, they will probably figure out how to defend it.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014

We've been hiding the offense masterfully for 2 years now, why the sudden concern from Mac? Something just ain't right with this guy....

Mac has taken a cue from Muschamp's offense that we were waiting for, and will never reveal it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator