Meet Mediocre Stricklin

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Seriously beginning to wonder who the problem is. Mac has been pretty directly commenting about other schools having a better commitment from their ADs. It was obviously multiple nationally televised jabs. What else dont we know?

There were always signs that Mac didnt get what he wanted on the staff. We target several big names and ended up with 4 or 5 directional school big lots hires.

Maybe it ISNT all Butters' fault and the AD in charge continues to look for the cheapest way, ienot paying two extra coaches for January (having fired two) for instance or not hiring a defensive coach until after NSD because its cheaper (contractual penalties in many current coaches contracts , that wed likely have to pay the asst coach).

There have been no signs that he knows what he is doing or that he can escape Fooley's influence. Real big concerns about this guy. Only two months into the job and

Would Bammer or Buckeyes handle things this way? Of course not. Settle for three stars and pinch pennies on assts? Refuse to fire coaches? We know better.

Might be some validity to your thought on this. When the Mac to Oregon rumors started to appear I believe that Mac might have been generally interested with part of the issue being the administration and him not seeing eye-to-eye on building the program.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Well:

1. Of course the AD needs to support his guy vocally until the day he fires his guy. Otherwise the AD undercuts his guys and everyone uses it in recruiting against UF. I would be more concerned with an AD who did not publicly support UF's coach.

2. While he should support his guy until the day he fires him, the AD should stay above the fray of recruiting rankings, 5*, 6*, 97* players that some fans spend fall for.

3. Of course McElwain is going to get a 4th year. You can say the SEC East is down, heck I can say NCAA is down and their is no Spurrier at Florida or powerful Carroll SoCal or Bowden at FSU or Osborne at UNL, but people particularly UAL fans want to make little Nicky Saban out to be the best coach in NCAA history. McElwain won the East and that will buy a 4th year and maybe 5th at least. Learn to accept it.

The Shady Grove Gator

Relapsed Wise-Ass
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Claiming that tweet is an awful sign is the understatement of the century. Way to set the bar at the University of Florida!
Totally. Let's hope the powers that be do not allow mediocrity, where it counts, for many years to a point that he is declared a legend.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...cklin-comments-on-state-of-gators-recruiting/

Stricklin comments in context:

"We all see every year, we realize the only thing people focus on is those rankings and the number of stars kids have next to their name," Stricklin said. "And every year after signing day, people go back and look at previous years and all the five-stars that you never heard from again and all the two-stars or three-stars that were just kind of afterthoughts on signing day who end up being big-time players."

"I came from a place at Mississippi State, we signed a three-star quarterback out of some small school in Louisiana named Dak Prescott," Stricklin said. "Now look where Dak Prescott is. Then that same signing class there were two or three five-stars that were the gem of that class that you never heard from. I think there's examples after examples."

"Just as important as being able to go out and sign kids, you've got to be able to identify talent, and really good coaches I think can do that and trust their own evaluation. So we don't necessarily trust what some recruiting guy says is the right guy."
58409285.jpg

Albert

Enormous Member
Aug 22, 2014
I'm afraid Mac is here for 2 seasons after every East win. Dude is Richt made over.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...cklin-comments-on-state-of-gators-recruiting/

Stricklin comments in context:

"We all see every year, we realize the only thing people focus on is those rankings and the number of stars kids have next to their name," Stricklin said. "And every year after signing day, people go back and look at previous years and all the five-stars that you never heard from again and all the two-stars or three-stars that were just kind of afterthoughts on signing day who end up being big-time players."

"I came from a place at Mississippi State, we signed a three-star quarterback out of some small school in Louisiana named Dak Prescott," Stricklin said. "Now look where Dak Prescott is. Then that same signing class there were two or three five-stars that were the gem of that class that you never heard from. I think there's examples after examples."

"Just as important as being able to go out and sign kids, you've got to be able to identify talent, and really good coaches I think can do that and trust their own evaluation. So we don't necessarily trust what some recruiting guy says is the right guy."
58409285.jpg
How does this improve things? He's doing nothing but making excuses for our awful recruiting classes. You think he would have spouted this nonsense if we had a top 5 class?

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
How does this improve things? He's doing nothing but making excuses for our awful recruiting classes. You think he would have spouted this nonsense if we had a top 5 class?
His point is coaches should recruit talent and compatibility with the program, not just look at star ratings. Star ratings are for the fans only.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
I guess those pre championship bama classes had A lot of program compatible kids too. I would be curious to look back at those ealry Saban classes and see how they compare to macs

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I guess those pre championship bama classes had A lot of program compatible kids too. I would be curious to look back at those ealry Saban classes and see how they compare to macs
So the point you're making then is Mac isn't as good a coach or recruiter as Saban? That's a hot take right there, Skip Bayless.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
So the point you're making then is Mac isn't as good a coach or recruiter as Saban? That's a hot take right there, Skip Bayless.
well that is obvious. The other point is you can spin compatibility all day but we all know stars matter. Talent matters. We are not as good as bama and others because our talent and ergo our lack of blue chippers has been inferior

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm afraid Mac is here for 2 seasons after every East win. Dude is Richt made over.

Not so far he isn't. Winning a mediocre East 2 years and getting crushed by FSU and Bama doesn't mean much.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member

http://247sports.com/Season/2009-Football/CompositeTeamRankings

Saban
2007 #13
2008 # 3
2009 # 2

McChewin
2015 #21
2016 #12
2017 ????

[edit]
Dabo
2013 #15
2014 #17
2015 #9
2016 #11

Dabo should be fired. No effing way he'll ever compete for a conference championship against FSU
(top 5 every year in recruiting). No way they EVER get to the play-offs much less win. FIRE DABO!

[End of Edit]

Why not wait, then scorch the earth AFTER NSD ?

Last edited:

Albert

Enormous Member
Aug 22, 2014
Sometimes I think the turning point for Mac was chewing Kelvin Taylor's ass and the calamity that ensued. Haven't seen any of that fire since. Am I the only one that sees this?

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I read an article with the interview earlier today. Couldn't wait to get home and read the inevitable thread(s). Thanks for not disappointing. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator