Meet Mediocre Stricklin

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
Sometimes I think the turning point for Mac was chewing Kelvin Taylor's ass and the calamity that ensued. Haven't seen any of that fire since. Am I the only one that sees this?

Have said this repeatedly over the last 15 months. That outburst may have been something of a "show" to try and set a new tone but it seems apparent that the media outcry has softened some of that fire.

As to Strickland's comments....yes, there are examples of overperforming 3 stars and underperforming 5 stars but not so many that recruiting a class full of 3 stars shouldn't be cause for concern.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
98d441510156ffa43b10f847d123305aa2.png

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Seriously beginning to wonder who the problem is. Mac has been pretty directly commenting about other schools having a better commitment from their ADs. It was obviously multiple nationally televised jabs. What else dont we know?

There were always signs that Mac didnt get what he wanted on the staff. We target several big names and ended up with 4 or 5 directional school big lots hires.

Maybe it ISNT all Butters' fault and the AD in charge continues to look for the cheapest way, ienot paying two extra coaches for January (having fired two) for instance or not hiring a defensive coach until after NSD because its cheaper (contractual penalties in many current coaches contracts , that wed likely have to pay the asst coach).

There have been no signs that he knows what he is doing or that he can escape Fooley's influence. Real big concerns about this guy. Only two months into the job and

Would Bammer or Buckeyes handle things this way? Of course not. Settle for three stars and pinch pennies on assts? Refuse to fire coaches? We know better.

Been wondering about this also. Follow the money. If true, that the AD/$$$ are the issue, then we are in for a loooong ride into mediocrity.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Seriously beginning to wonder who the problem is. Mac has been pretty directly commenting about other schools having a better commitment from their ADs. It was obviously multiple nationally televised jabs. What else dont we know?

There were always signs that Mac didnt get what he wanted on the staff. We target several big names and ended up with 4 or 5 directional school big lots hires.

Maybe it ISNT all Butters' fault and the AD in charge continues to look for the cheapest way, ienot paying two extra coaches for January (having fired two) for instance or not hiring a defensive coach until after NSD because its cheaper (contractual penalties in many current coaches contracts , that wed likely have to pay the asst coach).

There have been no signs that he knows what he is doing or that he can escape Fooley's influence. Real big concerns about this guy. Only two months into the job and

Would Bammer or Buckeyes handle things this way? Of course not. Settle for three stars and pinch pennies on assts? Refuse to fire coaches? We know better.
I've thought for awhile now that at least part of what goes on generates from the UAA and universtiy and that to some extent these circumstances limit Mac. As noted already, he has stated his frustration with lack of adequate support- very publicly and pointedly. To me, this speaks of having considerable doubts and discouragement that he will be able to get the support he needs without making the public aware there is an issue

And that was not a good sign.

Keep this is mind while you all are eviscerating him. and consider if there might be some of these factors at play behind the scenes that affect recruiting and hires. For instance, if he can't get the money for salaries that will cause potential coaches to refuse offers their current employer throws at them or offer to coaches he really wants, it shapes who we get.

I knew it was likely not going to be good with Fooley keeping an office and hanging around involved in whatever, and the provision that Foley's minions not be fired. How many people would agree to this?

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Been wondering about this also. Follow the money. If true, that the AD/$$$ are the issue, then we are in for a loooong ride into mediocrity.
Honestly, Id like to like Mac, Butterteeth and all. The recruits unanimously say they like Butters and yet we hear very bad reports about several of the assistants and kids mentioning facilities. We know half those assistant coaches were on the C or D list.

Maybe the problem is STILL the AD with Big Lots shopping tendencies.

For those trying to make excuses, the correct answer from Stickley, is we expect top players and top classes around here.

Making excuses about landing 3rd to 5th tier players isnt the answer. Yes Cowbell found one good 3 star. They also landed thousands of thousands of three star players, found one gem out of those thousands and received exactly zero championships.

You win championships by having plenty Tebows, Harvins, Spikes and Dunlaps on both sides.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Sometimes I think the turning point for Mac was chewing Kelvin Taylor's ass and the calamity that ensued. Haven't seen any of that fire since. Am I the only one that sees this?
He went fvkking ape shyt when LDR got hurt.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Do you expect Strickland to say our recruiting blows and our coach is a swamp donkey?
I expect him to say we don't have enough space in the building to give Foley an office, we're cutting the funding for women's water polo, and we're going to spend whatever it takes to put our football program back on top.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
His point is coaches should recruit talent and compatibility with the program, not just look at star ratings. Star ratings are for the fans only.
No...his point is "our recruiting sucks but don't give up hope yet. Hope is a wonderful thing...maybe the best of things".
Ox's point is valid. He is only addressing it because our recruiting sucks, it's being discussed all over and the fans are restless. I don't see any other ADs having to defend their coaches shortcomings on the the recruiting front.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
(top 5 every year in recWhy not wait, then scorch the earth AFTER NSD ?
You toolbags are hilarious. Yes pretend that winning at South Carolina or Duke is similar to winning at UF.

Hell, lets also pretend that Dabo won anything before Chump insisted on sending all talented offensive players to Clemson or somewhere else.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
I'd s
Have said this repeatedly over the last 15 months. That outburst may have been something of a "show" to try and set a new tone but it seems apparent that the media outcry has softened some of that fire.

As to Strickland's comments....yes, there are examples of overperforming 3 stars and underperforming 5 stars but not so many that recruiting a class full of 3 stars shouldn't be cause for concern.
He almost fought the entire NTX team when LDR got hurt. Saban, Butch, Dabo, Jimbo, Meyer, B.Kelly, WM routinely go off on players when they mess up. Not a word is said. The difference is Mac could've hit KT when he swung around. It's just another excuse to avoid the problem of Mac's coaching, recruiting and hires.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
http://247sports.com/Season/2009-Football/CompositeTeamRankings

Saban
2007 #13
2008 # 3
2009 # 2

McChewin
2015 #21
2016 #12
2017 ????

[edit]
Dabo
2013 #15
2014 #17
2015 #9
2016 #11

Dabo should be fired. No effing way he'll ever compete for a conference championship against FSU
(top 5 every year in recruiting). No way they EVER get to the play-offs much less win. FIRE DABO!

[End of Edit]

Why not wait, then scorch the earth AFTER NSD ?
But remember dabo's classes have had plenty of top level QB, WR, DT, ol to name a few. He's not just pulling 25 3* every year.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Looks to me as though the anchor of the relay team dropped the baton.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
You toolbags are hilarious. Yes pretend that winning at South Carolina or Duke is similar to winning at UF.

Hell, lets also pretend that Dabo won anything before Chump insisted on sending all talented offensive players to Clemson or somewhere else.
I've missed your point. I never said anything about winning at South Carolina or Duke being similar to winning at UF.

Although, now that you mention it, I do remember a coach coming from Duke that did pretty well at UF.

Are you implying that Muschamp at USC is the reason for Clemsons sucess? If so, please explain.

I just pointed out and compared Clemsons recruiting classes over the past 4 years vs UFs over the past 2 years.

Clemson just beat our conferences death star. They gave Lil Nicky everything he could handle last year.

Let's compare recruiting classes:

http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CompositeTeamRankings

Lil Nicky
2013 #1
2014 #1
2015 #1
2016 #1

Dabo
2013 #15
2014 #17
2015 #9
2016 #11

Clemson is #2-#4 in their conference each year. FSU has been #1.
Obviously, there's more to success on the field than stars alone. That was the ADs point.

McChewin

2015 #21
2016 #12
2017 ????

Why don't we wait until NSD to fill in the blank.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
But remember dabo's classes have had plenty of top level QB, WR, DT, ol to name a few. He's not just pulling 25 3* every year.

That and you can get away with less when you are one of the top recruiting teams in your conference. We are behind a bunch of teams in the SEC.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Are you implying that Muschamp at USC is the reason for Clemsons sucesss?
No dingbat, I'm saying, not implying, that landing a great class at Florida (or Texas) is a given and landing a #10 class at South Carolina or South Carolina Junior Orange Tiggers or Duke or any other shytty school is the best class they've had in 50 years.

Finally, yes, Muschimp (and Addazio) at UF have directly lead to sending basically every offensive bluechipper that Clemson (and several others) have landed in the least few years.

Is that clear enough? I typed really slow for you.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member

True ... he's not just pulling in 3 stars. And neither is Mac. The main difference (IMO) has been their 2 phenom QBs. But as far a stars and rankings, Mac first 2 aren't that far off from an established Dabos' classes.

Granted, it looks bad right now. If it looks like this after signing day, I'm folding.

Until then ... I''ll just wait and see.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
True ... he's not just pulling in 3 stars. And neither is Mac. The main difference (IMO) has been their 2 phenom QBs. But as far a stars and rankings, Mac first 2 aren't that far off from an established Dabos' classes.

Granted, it looks bad right now. If it looks like this after signing day, I'm folding.

Until then ... I''ll just wait and see.

That wont cut it in the SEC with the wear and tear of going against many teams loaded with blue chippers during the year. Despite their recent success the ACC doesnt have the same issue there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator