Memphis QB Paxton Lynch Begged to be a Gator

NoGaGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2014
The homeboy is a 6'7" stud with a 70% completion percentage. Just torched Ole Miss and Tulsa (last night). A 2* in HS, he'll be a 1st round choice in the NFL draft.

Really maddening reading this one:

http://247sports.com/Article/Memphis...ocess-40463772

Maybe Nussmeier gets it right on Trask - pro-style QB playing in a non-friendly pro-style system like Lynch and therefore under-the-radar.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I saw that he had like a 50% completion rate for 10 TDs and 10 INTs as a senior in HS. Not the kind of production that gets you noticed.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I wouldn't care about missing on him other than we took Morningwood instead. I know that's how this coaching political crap goes, but you miss on so many kids that you really don't scholarships to give away. Not to say that you can't take risks on guys, but Morningwood was a clear favor.

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
MJMGator;n302048 said:
I saw that he had like a 50% completion rate for 10 TDs and 10 INTs as a senior in HS. Not the kind of production that gets you noticed.

If recruiting was as easy as reading the stats from the newspapers, all the cavemen would be doing it with great success.

This situation probably happens a lot. One coach, in this case OC Charlie Weiss, sees intriguing potential in some kid. But then he unexpectedly scoots off to some other job, a new OC (Peese) comes in who has to quickly assess what he has on the current roster and try to keep up the recruiting, and there's nobody else on the staff who really shares that same feeling about the kid. And the 10/10 stat certainly doesn't scream "Future All-Star in the making." So he falls off the radar screen, and ends up somewhere, feeling unloved and abused by the recruiting process.

One of the things that I really like about what Coach Mac has done, as I understand it, is to greatly bolster the back-end staff, who technically don't hold (or perform) coaching roles. But those people DO greatly deepen the institutional knowledge about recruits of interest. So now if any particular coach moves up and out, our "draft board" so to speak doesn't suddenly have big knowledge voids on it.

From the kid's point of view, he ended up with coaches who believed in him, and he's done very well. Gotta be happy about that for him. Sometimes what you get is a lot better than what you thought you wanted.

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Well... You can take solace in the fact that Muschamp and company would have probably ruined him if he came here.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Feel bad for the kid, but he's having no problem turning heads where he is, so he'll be alright. Would've been nice to have had him though after Driskel and then Murphy got hurt. Skylark sure wasn't the answer.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n302126 said:
Feel bad for the kid, but he's having no problem turning heads where he is, so he'll be alright. Would've been nice to have had him though after Driskel and then Murphy got hurt. Skylark sure wasn't the answer.
With the Chump at the helm, all decent QB's would have been in trouble, only being asked to pass on 3rd and long. It's impossible to know what their potential actually was.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
When he got to the house he said he was going to take the son of a friend of his Skyler Mornhinweg (who has since transferred to Columbia), he played high school football with his dad or something. It was what it was but it bothered us a little bit.”
“We were kind of pissed, I’ll admit that,” Johnson said. “We were a little shocked and a little surprised. It was a whole messed up situation the way it went down. We were not told the kid was better than Paxton. We knew there was a connection with the kid’s father (current Baltimore Ravens quarterbacks coach Marty Mornhinweg), but we weren’t ever told he was better than Paxton. He took a friend’s kid over this kid. I don’t want to throw anybody under the bus but that’s what happened.”

Good lord.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Didn't Chump tell the UK receiver that he didn't want that he was a dumbazz? Same thing here. Chump is severely getting exposed as a fraud.

NoGaGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2014
Yeah just remember his comment about wanting players who want to be Gators!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.