Mesmerizing Boeing 737-800 Takeoff

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
other than flip a couple of switches, I'm not certain that the pilot did much more than occupy a seat.

very interesting.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
other than flip a couple of switches, I'm not certain that the pilot did much more than occupy a seat.

very interesting.
That's because the first officer, who you can't see in the video other than when he runs the throttles up, is the one flying that leg. The captain in that video is the pilot monitoring, which is why he is the one who puts up the gear and flaps and talks on the radio. It looks like the yoke is moving automatically but that is because it is connected to the yoke in front of the FO.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That's because the first officer, who you can't see in the video other than when he runs the throttles up, is the one flying that leg. The captain in that video is the pilot monitoring, which is why he is the one who puts up the gear and flaps and talks on the radio. It looks like the yoke is moving automatically but that is because it is connected to the yoke in front of the FO.
Are these what you fly?

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
No I fly the 737 but the main procedures and concepts are all the same for every plane. Its like getting in a rental car, it might look a little different than your own car but it works the same and you drive it the same way.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No I fly the 737 but the main procedures and concepts are all the same for every plane. Its like getting in a rental car, it might look a little different than your own car but it works the same and you drive it the same way.
Is that different than the 737-800?

I just watched Sully last weekend. I'm assuming you've seen it? Thoughts? What about Flight w/ Denzel Washington?

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Is that different than the 737-800?

I just watched Sully last weekend. I'm assuming you've seen it? Thoughts? What about Flight w/ Denzel Washington?
Lol, sorry I misread the OP and thought it said 787. Yeah I fly the 737-800 and the -700 and -300 models. Even in the same model though you can have different displays and equipment.

Sully was great. Only thing is that the comms in the cockpit were a little more sterile (less banter) than you would probably usually see, and the movie gave the impression that the investigation and hearings happened within days of the crash, which is obviously not true.

Flight was ridiculous WRT the flying...totally comical. It wasn't a movie about flying though, it was about addiction.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Flight was ridiculous WRT the flying...totally comical. It wasn't a movie about flying though, it was about addiction.
Not sure what WRT is but I do agree, it was a movie about addition.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting how the pilot takes off his seatbelt as soon as he's done with the landing gear and flaps.
I do like how when the FO removed his hand from the throttle, the pilot got his hand there immediately. When I took flying lessons that was the number one rule when taking off and landing - always have a hand on the throttle.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
WRT means with regard to.

At our company and many others, the captain is always the pilot who performs an aborted takeoff if necessary. So the way it goes is that when the FO is flying, after the takeoff power is set, the captain puts his hand on the throttles so he can initiate the abort if necessary.

He doesn't take off his seatbelt, he just releases the shoulder harnesses. The lap belt stays on.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Southwest? As far as I remember they're the only remaining operator of the -300 for passenger flights. Were any -300s ever upgraded to glass cockpits? Wouldn't make sense to me considering their fleet age, but is it hard to jump from classic gauges to glass in the -700/800 variants?
When I first got there, the glass displays in the new fleet were configured to display pretty much the exact "steam gauge" display in the classic fleet. Round dials on a flat panel. Years ago that went away in favor of the modern display common to newer aircraft but of course the round dials still remain in our classics. They will all be retired in less than a year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator