Meyer: 1st Year Coaches Need to Stop Blaming Players

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Don't let the pumpers read this. It throws ALL of their excuses out the window.

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
This is one of the things that drove me crazy with Muschamp. Coaches that are getting paid 100k plus or millions shouldn't be blaming amateur athletes ever. It's all on the HC. Everything. That's why they get the big bucks.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Not one to agree with Urbs very often, but on this point I agree with Creyer. Of course in year 1 you have the leftover players as well as quickly put together recruiting class, but you can still teach, develop, etc. and those things can be seen. So with Butters he has had 2 full and of his own recruiting classes, plus year one. We have seen zero that would say he is coaching anyone. The idea that you have to let the coach get his guys is laughable. All the major programs are recruiting and offering the exact same players!!!

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I only say it makes sense to maybe take a subtle jab at a player when you know they are being lazy or something like that. Sometimes it will motivate some of them to take things more serious.

Albert

Enormous Member
Aug 22, 2014
I don't really like the guy, but I do agree w/him here. Chump blaming the players was a bit chickens!t.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I didn't see Tom Herman's comments until I read this article, but holy hell. Throwing them under the bus after game 1? :lol2:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Not one to agree with Urbs very often, but on this point I agree with Creyer. Of course in year 1 you have the leftover players as well as quickly put together recruiting class, but you can still teach, develop, etc. and those things can be seen. So with Butters he has had 2 full and of his own recruiting classes, plus year one. We have seen zero that would say he is coaching anyone. The idea that you have to let the coach get his guys is laughable. All the major programs are recruiting and offering the exact same players!!!

Yep. I'll give Mac a little wiggle room regarding the OL, because that was just sheer nonsense what he inherited, and it wasn't about bashing players but rather simply not having players to bash. Everywhere else, as much as I get that we needed help, the best coaches find a way. The rest tell you all the reasons why they can't. To be fair, I don't recall him openly taking shots at his players, or playing the "gotta get my guys" card all the time. But your point stands, he has no excuses at this point.

I also think that while the Heisman year and 2008 titles get most of the recognition, Meyer's best performances as a coach were in 2005 and 2006 because of exactly what he's talking about here. He didn't have a roster of his guys or even players that really fit what he wanted to do. Yet he made it work and adapted until he could slowly infuse his talent in. I thought that's what JM was doing, which is why I was a little more patient with him, but evidently I was mistaken.

Guys like WM, Rich Rod, Strong at UT, etc., however, seemed more than content to simply make excuses, blame the last staff, and insulate themselves with talk of culture shakeup, while burning a once proud program and current players to the ground in order to fulfill their flawed vision.

This was a recruiting plug for Meyer, no question. But for Herman to welcome praise while winning with players left behind from previous coaches at Houston, but be aghast that a big time program like Texas would hold him accountable for his performance with Strong's leftovers, is hypocritical to say the least.

Buckman2000

Oct 1, 2016
I don't recall Meyer blaming Zook for anything. He took that same team won 9 games his first year and won a national title with those same players. That is what separates Meyer and Saban from everyone else.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Remember he ran crazy boot camp practices. Even the injured had to participate in something even if only lifting blocks in the pit. Then he won and took his foot of the gas...amongst other things

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
But for Herman to welcome praise while winning with players left behind from previous coaches at Houston, but be aghast that a big time program like Texas would hold him accountable for his performance with Strong's leftovers, is hypocritical to say the least.

This point say it all SoFla. Good Show.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What about 3rd year coaches? Can they make excuses that their players aren't as big or strong as the other guys?

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Yep. I'll give Mac a little wiggle room regarding the OL, because that was just sheer nonsense what he inherited, and it wasn't about bashing players but rather simply not having players to bash. Everywhere else, as much as I get that we needed help, the best coaches find a way. The rest tell you all the reasons why they can't. To be fair, I don't recall him openly taking shots at his players, or playing the "gotta get my guys" card all the time. But your point stands, he has no excuses at this point.

I also think that while the Heisman year and 2008 titles get most of the recognition, Meyer's best performances as a coach were in 2005 and 2006 because of exactly what he's talking about here. He didn't have a roster of his guys or even players that really fit what he wanted to do. Yet he made it work and adapted until he could slowly infuse his talent in. I thought that's what JM was doing, which is why I was a little more patient with him, but evidently I was mistaken.

Guys like WM, Rich Rod, Strong at UT, etc., however, seemed more than content to simply make excuses, blame the last staff, and insulate themselves with talk of culture shakeup, while burning a once proud program and current players to the ground in order to fulfill their flawed vision.

This was a recruiting plug for Meyer, no question. But for Herman to welcome praise while winning with players left behind from previous coaches at Houston, but be aghast that a big time program like Texas would hold him accountable for his performance with Strong's leftovers, is hypocritical to say the least.
IIRC, Meyer made the mistake of trying to force his system on Zooks players in 2005. But before the UGa game, Meyer relented, put in a full back and let Leak be Leak. We won 14 -10. #16 UF beats #4 Leg humpers.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
What about 3rd year coaches? Can they make excuses that their players aren't as big or strong as the other guys?
But faster too? Bigger, Stronger AND Faster?

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

The article was about Herman?????

:dunno:

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Meyer has no room to criticize anyone..

Maxxodd

Chill Winston
Lifetime Member
Dec 2, 2015
Meyer is an excellent coach for sure. He also has been discerning when choosing where to coach. He chose Florida over Notre Dame because he thought he could win easier at Florida. So, while I don't think that even Meyer could have quickly turned our program around (that he ran into the ground) after he left or after Champ was fired, he certainly has a point in that if you don't think you can turn the program around or make a positive impact quickly, maybe you shouldn't have taken the job. And if you do take the job, don't complain about the situation. You weren't drafted. You asked for it....

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator