Miami adds 5 star QB transfer

BostonGator84

Founding Member
Infrequent Frequenter
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
With Miami in need of experience at the QB position, they added graduate transfer Jake Heaps, who has 1 year of eligibility remaining.

He was a 5 star in high school, but his best year was his freshman year at BYU. All downhill after that - he lost his starting job at BYU due to injury and poor play, transferred to Kansas under Charlie Weis, where he started, played poorly, and lost his starting job. Sensing a trend...

I don't think he'll be an upgrade for Miami, but thought since it directly affects one of our "rivals" I would see if anyone had any thoughts on this move.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865605217/Former-BYU-QB-Jake-Heaps-headed-to-Miami.html (purposefully NOT linking to an ESPN article)

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
He's in for culture shock going from the Mormons to Kansas and then to Da U. He'll hold a clipboard and one of the other player's stash for his one year there.

BostonGator84

Founding Member
Infrequent Frequenter
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Interestingly he's headed southeast with each transfer. HS in Washington, to Utah, Kansas, then Florida. Good thing he doesn't have any eligibiity left or he would end up playing in the Bahamas.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator said:
He's in for culture shock going from the Mormons to Kansas and then to Da U. He'll hold a clipboard and one of the other player's stash for his one year there.
Why would he waste his last year if eligibility to hold a clipboard? There's a good chance this bum plays

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This doesn't worry me at all. His track record speaks for itself.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator said:
It was my understanding he lost his starting job again. I guess he wants to hold a clipboard in better weather.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Wait a minute, if your 5 (or 4.5) star QB sucks, you're allowed to bench him? Does our staff know about this rule?

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n2967 said:
Wait a minute, if your 5 (or 4.5) star QB sucks, you're allowed to bench him? Does our staff know about this rule?

If you're referring to JD, no one has beat him out. Simple really.

BoomTown

Founding Member
Mc's Red Headed Stepchild
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator said:
Law officially authenticated.

Jax Gator

Founding Member
Swamp Thing
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator said:
...or at least hold the clipboard in warmer weather...

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n2971 said:
He was a big time recruit...

Heaps was a big recruit from the NW, as 'Boston' pointed out. (#1 QB on some sites) Skyline High (Sammamish, WA) - one of the best HS programs in the country at the time. He also had a great WR he was throwing to in HS. Chose BYU over many other football schools who wanted him. Just goes to show that what you did in HS doesn't always translate to the next level.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorBart;n3373 said:
Heaps was a big recruit from the NW, as 'Boston' pointed out. (#1 QB on some sites) Skyline High (Sammamish, WA) - one of the best HS programs in the country at the time. He also had a great WR he was throwing to in HS. Chose BYU over many other football schools who wanted him. Just goes to show that what you did in HS doesn't always translate to the next level.
Brantley was a good example of that. Great tools, just no heart, or not enough to be effective in the tough competition in the SEC.

NovaGator

Dec 10, 2015
My guess is that the Noles aren't too worried.
The Preacher's strong suit is getting the guys
to join his program. As far as coaching them up,
that seems to be another matter.

00z0z_aM7a5Tg4abH_600x450.jpg

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Is Miami really still a rival? Am I the only one that doesn't see them that way? From what I could find, we've only played them 6 times since 1987.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator