Miami's spring game was PACKED!

Jun 2, 2015
Thank you for the explanation. We still hate your guts though. I always respected Richt as a coach until he did that stupid endzone penalty vs us when Meyer was here. I thought it was bush league and could've started an on field brawl.

I understand how you feel as we got our nose a bit out of joint over the '71 Gator flop. Then, in the 80's, particularly under Jimmy Johnson's direction, we managed to tick off the entire college football world with a variety of antics. I am hoping that Preacher Richt has just a bit of skullduggery to spice things up. The rivalries, the hate, the passion is what makes college football so entertaining.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You gotta admit, with just letting in family, girlfriends and former players, you probably reduce the chance of violence and shooting at the scrimmage by 20-30%.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
UF will be down for 4-5 more years if Mac isn't fired this year. He's a mediocre HC who's recruiting is setting the program back each year with each 3* he signs and every elite QB he misses. UF is now UT. almost a decade of futility and counting.

Define "down". I don't expect NC performances there are too many other schools to expect that. If we play well, win nine games, win our bowl and look good doing that I would be satisfied. Winning the SEC East is only a start, then the SEC championship which is difficult today due to the West having many good teams. Then win a decent bowl game. Expecting more is not realistic.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Swamp, we all know perception is in the eyes of the beholder

As is expectations. I judge by process, how you run your program, how you run the various plays, and such. When you play well wins come when you are the better team, at least mostly sometime luck gets in the way.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It's really sad to hear Gators fans talk about how the place should recruit itself. Texas and Notre Dame fans are delusional in this way. Indiana basketball fans are the same way.

The biggest single factor in recruiting is what school and coach will give the best chance of winning championships. When Mac arrived in 2015 every high school recruit had watched the Muschamp version of Florida since they were 13 years old. Their only memories of Florida was receivers blocking each other, losing to Georgia Southern and a coach that was out of control and hated offense. The Gators weren't just bad, they were a national laughingstock. No offensive player in their right mind even considered Florida as a backup plan.

The name Florida wasn't a selling point to offensive players. It was the exact opposite.

In the 80's Pell had to pay players to come to Florida. In the 90's Spurrier got the recruits to come without a lot of effort because they knew he could win championships. In the 00's the recruits were lining up because Urban walked into a loaded roster and produced right off the bat. Then Muschamp burned the place to the ground.

Those of us who are a bit older remember championship seasons, but to high school kids that's ancient history. Some of these recruits don't know who Spurrier is and were 8 years old in 2008. They have never seen the Gators dominating the grid iron. To them Florida winning a national championship is kind of like the Loch Ness Monster. They've heard people talk about seeing it, but it's really hard to believe.

Telling a recruit that the Gators won a national championship in 1996 is the same as telling them that Army won a national championship in 1914. They're not impressed by dusty trophies from way back then.

Florida will recruit itself again when the recruits can see with their own eyes that championships are possible at Florida. The good news is that Florida currently has the #1 ranked class in the country for 2019. The recruits are starting to see the potential again.

How many top recruits does Florida produce by itself?

No excuse not to recruit FL great imo.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I am hoping that Preacher Richt has just a bit of skullduggery to spice things up. The rivalries, the hate, the passion is what makes college football so entertaining.

I believe the darkest side of Richt showed thru when he had the UGA players dance in the endzone after their first TD one year. That's about as much 'skullduggery' as he can muster, and I understand that was beyond his intent when he spoke to the players.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
I am hoping that Preacher Richt has just a bit of skullduggery to spice things up. The rivalries, the hate, the passion is what makes college football so entertaining.

Don't worry, if "preacher" Richt refuses to create skullduggery then the rest of the Hurricanes community will take care of it for him. The culture at the U never changes. It's the Miami way.

Institution: University of Miami (Florida)

Date: November 03, 1981

Violation Summary: Improper financial aid; extra benefits; out-of-season practice; improper recruiting contacts, employment, entertainment, inducements, lodging, publicity and transportation; tryouts; improper administration of financial aid; certification of compliance.

1983 Miami National Champions (With players obtained through the 1981 infractions)

Date: December 01, 1995

Violation Summary: IMPROPER FINANCIAL AID: institution awarded more than $412,000 in excessive aid as a result of improperly calculating off-campus room and board stipends; student-athletes received an average of $110 in impermissible books a semester; student-athletes were improperly compensated for employment. EXTRA BENEFITS: athletics department staff member helped student-athletes fraudulently receive a total of $212,969 in Pell Grants; cash awards to football student-athletes for game performance. ATHLETICS DEPARTMENT FAILED TO FOLLOW DRUG-TESTING POLICY. UNETHICAL CONDUCT. LACK OF INSTITUTIONAL CONTROL.

As far as I know this is the only NCAA probation case that resulted in a University official receiving federal jail time. From 1989 to 1992, Miami helped players receive more than $220,000 of grants, which federal officials later called "perhaps the largest centralized fraud ... ever committed" against the Pell Grant program. As a result of the scandal, Sports Illustrated ran a cover story suggesting Miami should temporarily shutter the football program and that athletic director Paul Dee should be fired. Tony Russell received 3 years in prison and the University claimed it did not know the football program had employees stealing from the government to pay players. Honestly, a University was stealing money meant to help educate poor people and was using that money to cheat in athletics. Only at Miami could that happen.

1989 Miami National Champions (With players obtained through the 1995 infractions)
1991 Miami National Champions (See above)

Date: February 27, 2003

Violation Summary: Impermissible recruiting activity - tryouts; impermissible activities associated with sports club; impermissible financial aid; violation of honesty standards; impermissible recruiting contacts with athletics representatives and a failure to monitor.

2001 Miami National Champions (With players obtained through the 2003 infractions)

I honestly don't understand how Miami has been allowed to keep any of the titles they cheated to get.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Don't worry, if "preacher" Richt refuses to create skullduggery then the rest of the Hurricanes community will take care of it for him. The culture at the U never changes. It's the Miami way.

Date: November 03, 1981

Violation Summary: Improper financial aid; extra benefits; out-of-season practice; improper recruiting contacts, employment, entertainment, inducements, lodging, publicity and transportation; tryouts; improper administration of financial aid; certification of compliance.

1983 Miami National Champions (With players obtained through the 1981 infractions)

Date: December 01, 1995

Violation Summary: IMPROPER FINANCIAL AID: institution awarded more than $412,000 in excessive aid as a result of improperly calculating off-campus room and board stipends; student-athletes received an average of $110 in impermissible books a semester; student-athletes were improperly compensated for employment. EXTRA BENEFITS: athletics department staff member helped student-athletes fraudulently receive a total of $212,969 in Pell Grants; cash awards to football student-athletes for game performance. ATHLETICS DEPARTMENT FAILED TO FOLLOW DRUG-TESTING POLICY. UNETHICAL CONDUCT. LACK OF INSTITUTIONAL CONTROL.

As far as I know this is the only NCAA probation case that resulted in a University official receiving federal jail time. From 1989 to 1992, Miami helped players receive more than $220,000 of grants, which federal officials later called "perhaps the largest centralized fraud ... ever committed" against the Pell Grant program. As a result of the scandal, Sports Illustrated ran a cover story suggesting Miami should temporarily shutter the football program and that athletic director Paul Dee should be fired. Tony Russell received 3 years in prison and the University claimed it did not know the football program had employees stealing from the government to pay players. Honestly, a University was stealing money meant to help educate poor people and was using that money to cheat in athletics. Only at Miami could that happen.

1989 Miami National Champions (With players obtained through the 1995 infractions)
1991 Miami National Champions (See above)

Date: February 27, 2003

Violation Summary: Impermissible recruiting activity - tryouts; impermissible activities associated with sports club; impermissible financial aid; violation of honesty standards; impermissible recruiting contacts with athletics representatives and a failure to monitor.

2001 Miami National Champions (With players obtained through the 2003 infractions)

I honestly don't understand how Miami has been allowed to keep any of the titles they cheated to get.

Richt is fitting in down there...he's pulling some "Hugh Freeze" type of $hit as we speak! :lol:

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I believe the darkest side of Richt showed thru when he had the UGA players dance in the endzone after their first TD one year. That's about as much 'skullduggery' as he can muster, and I understand that was beyond his intent when he spoke to the players.

So he insisted, but who really knows. And it was foolish in that it fired up every Gator player and fan that day. I seem to remember they lost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb