Michigan DC: 'Everyone says we lost 10 starters. Wait a minute.'

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Don Brown: 'Everyone says we lost 10 starters. Wait a minute'

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Don-Brown-Everyone-says-we-lost-10-starters-Wait-a-minute

Michigan has the fewest returning starters in the nation (five), including just one on defense, but Don Brown says that’s overrated.

Especially in the front seven, Brown says there are plenty of guys who have played, even if they weren’t a “starter.” Besides, they’re not learning a new system this time.

“OK, you lose good players. That’s the evolution of what we go through in this profession,” Brown said. “But now the second year in the same system, which is a huge benefit. Everybody says ‘You lost 10 starters.’ Wait a minute. Rashan Gary played all the time. Mo Hurst played all the time. Bryan Mone played all the time. Chase Winovich played all the time. Mike McCray, Devin Bush, Noah (Furbush) played a bunch.

“Secondary-wise, OK, I get it. (Tyree) Kinnel played. Josh (Metellus) started in the Orange Bowl, and outside of a play or two was very functional, made a bunch of plays. I’m not as nervous about that piece. I just think we have a fun group that loves football, and that usually lends to success.”

History has shown that returning starters isn’t a huge benefit. Ohio State had the fewest entering 2016, and they reached the Playoff.

Michigan is also adding the No. 5 recruiting class. Asked about the incoming freshmen, Brown couldn’t heap more praise on their mindsets.

“I really just love our guys,” he said. “It’s a pleasure to get up, come in here, go to work every day. They’re just good people. Sometimes as a coach, you’ve got to work on the social side with the guys to get them to formulate a way they should go about doing their business. These guys, it’s unbelievable.”

Michigan’s new-look defense will debut against Florida at the Cowboys stadium in Week 1.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
They will be a tough out. Expect a tough hard nosed defense. Gary is a beast and future NFL first rounder.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
So if Macaverage can't move the ball on that rebuilding defense is this his excuse?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
And if the offense does move the ball the dumpers excuse will be it was a rebuilding defense. Stupid arguments are stupid.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If Butters finds some way to win (3-0 is the only possible scenario imo) against Meatchicken, it will be his best win.

Meatchicken has elite talent, even if it's young.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Oh I'm sure the dumpers will find an excuse.

As I'm sure the pumpers will find one also.

Honestly, I'm not expecting much offense in that game regardless. I don't mind an LSU (2016) type of game every now and then. Hell, Spurrier had them (FSU 1991, 14-9). I'd just like to see some life out of the offense! I don't consider myself a "dumper" by any means...but I am a realist. I'm not going to come on here and sugar coat anything. If it sucks I'll say it sucks. If it shows promise, I'll say so. I'm tired of the excuses. This is year 3 and he needs to show results, period.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
That DC has always been a little arrogant. You just have to solve the problem of them blitzing all the time. I think Zaire's mobility will give us a chance to make some plays if he is the starter for that game. You also need to be able to break a few long runs against them crowding things like that.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
And if the offense does move the ball the dumpers excuse will be it was a rebuilding defense. Stupid arguments are stupid.

Not me. Every yard will be earned. It's tantamount to a signature win out of the gate. The problem is we are rebuilding as much as they are...so still...it would be a huge win. I expect Vegas to be UM -2 or -2.5 by kick off

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Not me. Every yard will be earned. It's tantamount to a signature win out of the gate. The problem is we are rebuilding as much as they are...so still...it would be a huge win. I expect Vegas to be UM -2 or -2.5 by kick off

So you expect the money to come in on Florida? (because the line is higher now, for it to go down to -2 or -2.5 money has to come in on Florida). I could see it moving UF's way depending on the QB (and reports out of fall camp). If the QB situation seems unsettled I could see the line moving Michigan's way.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Yep Michigan will be ready to go and has some experience on the D line etc. As far as the line I think who the QB is will affect it a lot. If its a QB who has never taken a live game snap I think that would change the line up to 2 pts.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yep Michigan will be ready to go and has some experience on the D line etc. As far as the line I think who the QB is will affect it a lot. If its a QB who has never taken a live game snap I think that would change the line up to 2 pts.
You wouldn't be implying Franks shouldn't play game 1 would you?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
You wouldn't be implying Franks shouldn't play game 1 would you?

Well my feeling is he must be struggling in practice or Mac wouldn't have gave him the easiest spring game set up in history. As far as the line I just think Michigan is mostly favored because they think we might have a QB starting that has never taken a game snap.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well my feeling is he must be struggling in practice or Mac wouldn't have gave him the easiest spring game set up in history...
And yet, he still struggled mightily.

Against walkons.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
https://www.fanragsports.com/cfb/3-reasons-optimistic-florida-schedule/

"The Wolverines won’t ever be bad as long as Harbaugh is around, but on Sept. 2, 2017, they’ll be about as vulnerable as they’ll ever be. UM bid goodbye to an amazing 42 seniors off of its 2016 roster. Of them, 17 held starting jobs with a mix of seven on offense and a whopping 10 on defense. They’re dead last in Phil Steele’s returning starters count and third from the bottom in Bill Connelly’s returning production metric."

Wow. I knew they lost a lot, but how is it even possible to have 42 seniors?

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
https://www.fanragsports.com/cfb/3-reasons-optimistic-florida-schedule/

"The Wolverines won’t ever be bad as long as Harbaugh is around, but on Sept. 2, 2017, they’ll be about as vulnerable as they’ll ever be. UM bid goodbye to an amazing 42 seniors off of its 2016 roster. Of them, 17 held starting jobs with a mix of seven on offense and a whopping 10 on defense. They’re dead last in Phil Steele’s returning starters count and third from the bottom in Bill Connelly’s returning production metric."

Wow. I knew they lost a lot, but how is it even possible to have 42 seniors?

Many walk ons???

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
They'll have a down year, but Ole Bugger boy's been recruiting well so they should be real good in another year or two. Meyer better get his Big10 title this year because it may be his last chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator