Michigan signee DT Aubrey Solomon's mom story

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Kirby Smart allegedly fired DL coach Tracey Rocker because he got into an argument w/ DT recruit Aubrey Solomon's mom...so I was curious what happened. The things I've read is that Rocker missed on this kid and another bigtime kid last year and Smart cut ties w/ him after he got into the argument w/ the mom - sort of the last straw. First off, Rocker is well respected as a coach...but apparently his recruiting isn't up to par. I do like that Smart has the balls to cut a coach loose if he's not recruiting up to standards...but I don't like that a primadona kid/recruit can impact a coaches job because he and his mom are a pain in the ass.

This kid's mom is a fn joke. She wrote a 31-question survey for all of his suitors that included questions like "Will my son be able to choose his own major?" and "what time are football practices?" and "how does Aubrey choose his courses?" ... seriously, this is a bizarre individual to be dealing with. Can you imagine??

http://georgia.247sports.com/Bolt/Mother-of-elite-DT-has-31-question-inquiry-for-schools-48692952

https://www.landof10.com/michigan/olomonaubrey-solomon-michigan-georgia-coaching-staff-rumors

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
I don't know. After reading her quotes she sounds like a well informed intelligent woman trying to do her due diligence for her son. I'm sure most recruits wished their parents were this organized.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Well the top part of the questionnaire is pretty related to academics. Kinda hard to get mad at that.

Mich is definitely a better school academically.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Kids like this aren't worth it, the baggage they bring with them is too much. It's OK that the parents want to look out for their kids, but when they are overbearing/control freaks, (see Grier) it isn't good for the team in most cases.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Not too upset on missing this kid. I cant remember what it was now but I was never really impressed with his video I saw of him doing drills. Definitely preferred Hansard, Conliffe, and several others much more.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Sounds more like Rocker and Muschamp II didn't see eye to eye than a bogus argument with the mom.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I don't know. After reading her quotes she sounds like a well informed intelligent woman trying to do her due diligence for her son. I'm sure most recruits wished their parents were this organized.

Tend to agree with this. But part of the official visit is the school going into great detail about academics. They practically hold the kids hand: tutors, test banks, study halls, academic advisors, etc. So, there should have been no questions to ask if they took the time to visit the school.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

I agree other than the racist part of it, I thought it was a well reasoned and well informed set of questions. Any school would do well to provide answers to it and call it FAQ or "Answers to a Mom's Questions." She seems to understand that some programs might funnel her kid into the easiest major and that she does not want her kid in a major he could not succeed at. That is pretty sophisticated thinking.

The NCAA has reduced the time on official visits a few years back so any way to can save time and get answers to questions that you can review carefully later, the better, in my view. Now she might be a pain other ways, but no way is asking for written answers to her questions out of line.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I agree other than the racist part of it, I thought it was a well reasoned and well informed set of questions. Any school would do well to provide answers to it and call it FAQ or "Answers to a Mom's Questions." She seems to understand that some programs might funnel her kid into the easiest major and that she does not want her kid in a major he could not succeed at. That is pretty sophisticated thinking.

The NCAA has reduced the time on official visits a few years back so any way to can save time and get answers to questions that you can review carefully later, the better, in my view. Now she might be a pain other ways, but no way is asking for written answers to her questions out of line.

I could not agree more. She wants her kid to actually be able to have a marketable degree if he does not make the NFL. Prudent planning.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Some of the questions were valid. Some reflected being either out of touch with reality or so ego-centric in a "what can you do for me" sort of way. I don't blame her for engaging the process and trying to gather information that she / they feel is important, but this was so poorly executed that if I were a coach it would make me think hard about whether I even wanted him in my program.

Do you really need an abbreviation for the document title? ...FFI :lmao2:

Turk182

Founding Member
Just don't care anymore
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The most important question was delivered in person....... How much $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It's over the top crazy. This lady just wanted to make coaches to doggy tricks for her. It was a mom on a power trip.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Kids like this aren't worth it, the baggage they bring with them is too much. It's OK that the parents want to look out for their kids, but when they are overbearing/control freaks, (see Grier) it isn't good for the team in most cases.

This

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Looks to me like the mom had a lot of very well thought out questions related to academic opportunity as well as football. Good for her.

GatorAuthor

Bringing Prestige Worldwide
Feb 24, 2016
Nobody likes the parents who hang on the fence, but this lady has it flat figured out. Really good questions that probably go a long way to cutting through the ubiquitous recruiting BS.

Perhaps more importantly, this is a way to hold coaches and schools accountable. If a school doesn't do what it promises, there's a clear record of it that could have a real impact on future recruits and their parents. A lot of parents who see these articles are going to take her list and do the same thing. Good for her.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure why she's getting banged up over this. I think it's good that a parent takes this much interest in the kid's future.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Nobody likes the parents who hang on the fence, but this lady has it flat figured out. Really good questions that probably go a long way to cutting through the ubiquitous recruiting BS.

Perhaps more importantly, this is a way to hold coaches and schools accountable. If a school doesn't do what it promises, there's a clear record of it that could have a real impact on future recruits and their parents. A lot of parents who see these articles are going to take her list and do the same thing. Good for her.

Every one of these questions are answered during an official visit. Remember Josh Portis' mom? That's what this reminds me of. It comes across as good intentioned, but it's over the top. She would have had each and every one of these questions answered during an OV. I get the "good parenting" angle, but that's BS and the fact that she "got into it" with a coach confirms that. Does this coach have a past history of "getting into it" with parents? No is your answer.

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Every one of these questions are answered during an official visit. Remember Josh Portis' mom? That's what this reminds me of. It comes across as good intentioned, but it's over the top. She would have had each and every one of these questions answered during an OV. I get the "good parenting" angle, but that's BS and the fact that she "got into it" with a coach confirms that. Does this coach have a past history of "getting into it" with parents? No is your answer.

Maybe she wants them answered before deciding to take an official visit. And maybe she prefers specific answers in writing to verbal promises. Sounds like a smart lady to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator