Most impressive SEC teams after Week 1?

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Back to the original topic:
  1. A&M: I thought USCe would win and cover the number at home - and A&M simply shredded them. Sumlin's stock is rising.
  2. LSU: - That was a solid win against a grinding football team.
  3. Humpers - It literally sickens me to type this, and I agree that obviously this was not the same high-octane Clemmy squad we've seen recently and they had them at home. Still, this is a rivalry game and had national exposure. Good win.
Honorable mention goes to Miss. St. and The Barners. With Bammer looking vulnerable, if Ole Miss's recent recruiting classes step up and based on Saturday's results - does anyone besides Arky NOT have at least a shot to win that division? That's going to be fun to watch.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorInKnox;n39378 said:
I think we were clearly the most dominant team in week 1.
We averaged 60 yards a play and allowed 0 yards on the defensive side of the ball. Talk about dominating…

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n39412 said:
We averaged 60 yards a play and allowed 0 yards on the defensive side of the ball. Talk about dominating…

Not to mention we possessed the ball 100% of the game and didn't even let them have it.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch said:
Concrete Helmet;n39304 said:
There is no way we are better for not having played this game. Yes we still have EMU and KU. T, our scout team does not come with 90,000 fans and all the fixings of a real game. Also coaches are on the field to correct mistakes during practice.....real games decide real depth charts and real game reps really can't be duplicated when installing a new offense with a lot of first time players. Other programs like Bama, UGA, Auburn and almost every other team is running the same systems they have for years......we are not. There are issues that come up like signals and communications and substitutions that have to be ironed out in real game scenarios.

We have two more cupcakes to get all that ironed out. Wouldn't have gotten an honest look at our team in those conditions, anyway.

And Kentucky was playing Tennessee-Martin. Let me repeat that. Tennessee. Martin.
My Captain, Kentucky is FAR from a cupcake for a Muschamp team. Stoops has them looking like a polished team. Did you watch any of the game? Martin had a better FCS record last year than Ga. Southren and has 9 FBS transfers, none from FAMU.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch said:
Concrete Helmet;n39304 said:
There is no way we are better for not having played this game. Yes we still have EMU and KU. T, our scout team does not come with 90,000 fans and all the fixings of a real game. Also coaches are on the field to correct mistakes during practice.....real games decide real depth charts and real game reps really can't be duplicated when installing a new offense with a lot of first time players. Other programs like Bama, UGA, Auburn and almost every other team is running the same systems they have for years......we are not. There are issues that come up like signals and communications and substitutions that have to be ironed out in real game scenarios.

We have two more cupcakes to get all that ironed out. Wouldn't have gotten an honest look at our team in those conditions, anyway.

And Kentucky was playing Tennessee-Martin. Let me repeat that. Tennessee. Martin.
Jesus. We have to deal with this same sh*t about Kentucky every year.

They are not a trap game. They're Kentucky.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Absolutely hands-down the UF defense. I don't care who you're playing; when you can hold the opponent to ZERO yards, you've got something special!

Seriously, I only saw highlights of aTm, but my guess is they will be in the mix for the west.

uga is beatable, but you better have a STOUT run defense to handle gurley and who appears to be gurley-the-sequel (nick chubb looks like a bruiser). Throw marshall and the other freshman RB in and they will not disappear if gurley gets injured. Stop the run (you better be big up front) and see if mason can win with his arm.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The Collie ****ers hands down. To go into a tough place like Williams Brice and not only win, but dominate, with a young QB speaks volumes.

UGAy and Corndogs? Meh. They were playing fodder from the A-She-She and Big Ten respectively.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n39380 said:
I didn't think playing UM in the 2nd game last season was going to make any difference either. We were better than them at that point in the season-before injuries- yet we lost and it seemed like everyone was saying oh, it's because Driskel and Jones didn't get enough reps in camp and the oline was not in sync. These are the things that only get fixed by getting a lot of game reps....like 3 games worth. If you note we had our offense working pretty good by the second half of the UT game and into the UK and Arky games before injuries set in. This was with mostly all returning players and 2nd year in the same system. Now with a new system it could take 4,5 or even 6 games to get things rolling. It is really huge.

You think Jones getting reps will stop him from having a first step like his shoes are filled with concrete. I do agree the more reps the better with the new offense.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet said:
Law98gator;n39395 said:
They haven't killed us. They've scored two TDs. Driskel's turnovers and our Vince Dooley/ Ray Goof offensive mindset have killed us.

We have dog**** on our shoe and we can't get it off.

Driskel didn't play last year and was leading us to a potential tying score in 2012 before the human kangaroo decided to take a leap of faith into the end zone....forgetting to take the pigskin with him. I think it was actually Marshall who went untouched like 50 yards for the TD that put them up that year, but didn't Gurley also score on a long screen last year.
Driskel played bad in that game in 2012 but I think their QB played even worse despite them winning.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever said:
Gurley was coming off an injury last season and still ran pretty good against us with the number of carries he had. Hopefully our defense is ready this season.
We surely didn't in 2011 and 2013 but were pretty good in 2012 against them.

601Gator

Aug 10, 2014
Gator Fever;n39548 said:
You think Jones getting reps will stop him from having a first step like his shoes are filled with concrete. I do agree the more reps the better with the new offense.

You do know Jones is 235 pounds right? Jesus, you keep bashing his "slow first step" like he's supposed to be Percy Harvin. :rolleyes:

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
601Gator;n39560 said:
You do know Jones is 235 pounds right? Jesus, you keep bashing his "slow first step" like he's supposed to be Percy Harvin. :rolleyes:
girley weighs how much?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Gator Fever;n39548 said:

Fever, I'm not a fan of MJ getting the bulk of carries by any means. But we don't know that he was in the game to get a handoff on that play.....they were probably going to go motion to empty with some kind of bootleg option would be my guess, but it's just a guess. Remember Jones will be moved in and out of the backfield a lot more than Taylor or Brown.

601Gator

Aug 10, 2014
AugustaGator;n39564 said:
girley weighs how much?

Nobody was comparing Jones to Gurley. Jones gets a lot of hate on this board and for no reason at all. The kid went through a lot last year, rushed back and looked sloppy. He will be a great player and huge factor in this offense this year. You can hold me to that.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
601Gator;n39560 said:

Have you watch him a lot. He is very limited if a hole isn't already there despite his size. It almost looks like he is in slow motion when he first gets the ball many times. The other big backs in the SEC that are 225 plus have a quick first step.

601Gator

Aug 10, 2014
Gator Fever;n39569 said:
Have you watch him a lot. He is very limited if a hole isn't already there despite his size. It almost looks like he is in slow motion when he first gets the ball many times. The other big backs in the SEC that are 225 plus have a quick first step.

I agree last year he looked like he tip toed to the line a lot. BUT, he didn't look too slow against FSU two years ago. That's the guy I expect back this year.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
601Gator;n39573 said:
I agree last year he looked like he tip toed to the line a lot. BUT, he didn't look too slow against FSU two years ago. That's the guy I expect back this year.

That was due to that Jumbo package creating huge holes late in that FSU game. Watching a lot of Jones plays he never seems to hardly get good gains unless a good hole opens up while Taylor gets 5 yards plus many times even with no hole hardly forming.

601Gator

Aug 10, 2014
Gator Fever;n39578 said:
That was due to that Jumbo package creating huge holes late in that FSU game. Watching a lot of Jones plays he never seems to hardly get good gains unless a good hole opens up while Taylor gets 5 yards plus many times even with no hole hardly forming.

Lol, I get it. You don't like Jones. He also scored against Louisville in the first half of that game. The guy is good. That's my opinion. You obviously don't think so. Do I think Taylor should get the majority of the carries? Absolutely. Do I think Jones will be a big contributor this season? Absolutely. Especially in the passing game. If I'm wrong I'll say I'm wrong.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
601Gator;n39580 said:
Lol, I get it. You don't like Jones. He also scored against Louisville in the first half of that game. The guy is good. That's my opinion. You obviously don't think so. Do I think Taylor should get the majority of the carries? Absolutely. Do I think Jones will be a big contributor this season? Absolutely. Especially in the passing game. If I'm wrong I'll say I'm wrong.

We will just have to disagree on him being a real good RB but I watch those offensive plays only for the games that are condensed down to like 11 minutes or so and Jones sticks out by hardly ever getting a decent run unless a clear hole formed or he popped outside untouched almost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator