Motown alternative - Stax

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
For those who "know" me... I do have some odd or eclectic tastes in music.
(I had a crush on Mavis Staples as a kid...go figure).

This is a fascinating article about Stax records (there was also a movie) and their inception as well as all of the artists that most don't know anything about, yet were incredibly talented.

You will recognize a lot of the names (Otis Redding, Booker T, etc) and seeing Steve Cropper and Duck Dunn before they grew all that hair was purdy kewl.

This lady has uncovered a treasure trove of demos and outtakes from back in the day (early to late-sixties) of the Memphis sound through Stax.
Worth the read..

The Secret Sound of Stax

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
For those who "know" me... I do have some odd or eclectic tastes in music.
(I had a crush on Mavis Staples as a kid...go figure).

This is a fascinating article about Stax records (there was also a movie) and their inception as well as all of the artists that most don't know anything about, yet were incredibly talented.

You will recognize a lot of the names (Otis Redding, Booker T, etc) and seeing Steve Cropper and Duck Dunn before they grew all that hair was purdy kewl.

This lady has uncovered a treasure trove of demos and outtakes from back in the day (early to late-sixties) of the Memphis sound through Stax.
Worth the read..

The Secret Sound of Stax
Good find; very interesting article. My favorite recording of The Band's iconic hit "The Weight" is the version they did with The Staples for "The Last Waltz." The verses sung by "Pops" Staples and Mavis (and those sung by Levon Helm) are the highlights for me of that recording.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Good find; very interesting article. My favorite recording of The Band's iconic hit "The Weight" is the version they did with The Staples for "The Last Waltz." The verses sung by "Pops" Staples and Mavis (and those sung by Levon Helm) are the highlights for me of that recording.

...and right at the end of the song, Mavis sort of whispers..."Beautiful".

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I'll have to look that up because I've always loved The Weight by The Band.

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
Guy by the name of Elvis Presley recorded there a couple of times in 1973. "Promised Land" was the hit that came from it.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I just listened to it on YouTube... I still prefer the original. I'll just always love The Weight and Wasn't Born to Follow as they were on the Easy Rider soundtrack... the record of which I listened to endlessly as a little kid in the early '70's.

Also, I'm sensing a lot of "jazz people" in here... it's weirding me out!!!!

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I just listened to it on YouTube... I still prefer the original. I'll just always love The Weight and Wasn't Born to Follow as they were on the Easy Rider soundtrack... the record of which I listened to endlessly as a little kid in the early '70's.

Also, I'm sensing a lot of "jazz people" in here... it's weirding me out!!!!

admiral-james-t-kirk-shocked-jazz-hands-hevzf4nhculd19yp.gif

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
Cool post. I will share w/ Rev Billy C Wirtz, he probably played piano with some of the names in this article.
I lol'd at Ironton having a 'better' education. I played against them in school. The home of the first ever pro football team, Ironton Tanks. They moved to Detroit and became the Lions. I played a game or two on that field. The home side of the stadium had a roof. A rare sight back then in the late 70s at a high school.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator