Mullen’s assertion that Gators fans aren’t supporting the program misses the mark

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
If Mullen doesn't field a competitive team then fan attendance will fall off. The what happens next? Mullen starts in on how more supportive the fans were at Cowbell and Megan chimes in with how much she loved living in Starkvegas. Then this won't end well.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Yes, this isn't one of Miles best articles. He usually does a really good job (his Burrow piece is great). However, he does have a point that the fan support is still there - but not fanatical like it was under Meyer & Spurrier. I remember buying $20 tickets and sitting in the new Champions Club seats during the Zook era. So, the fan support will return - when a winning and/or fun product is back on the field.

I haven't been to a home game since 2008 (I have been to FL/GA and 5 or 6 road games, however). I was planning to attend the Texas A&M game last year and cancelled the trip after watching the Michigan game. I knew right then we were - again - a crap team that I wasn't going to spend $1500 to travel and burn vacation days to watch a poorly coached, undisciplined football team - coached by a bafoon and an incompetent OC (and there were people defending Nussmeir until the bitter end).

I also question the attendance the UAA is putting out. Just watching on tv, there are much more than four to five thousand empty seats in that stadium the last several years (on average).

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Besides, T-gator and maybe one other, I am very vocal at my dislike of Cousin Eddie as HC. And I have said if Cousin Eddie proves me wrong, then I will return to the games, but as of now I will root from afar. But if Cousin Eddie thinks that the quality of play as well as many other coaching things will be good just b/c the fans support and or show up, he is sorely mistaken. Fan support has never helped any coach manage a game properly!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I also question the attendance the UAA is putting out. Just watching on tv, there are much more than four to five thousand empty seats in that stadium the last several years (on average).
Of course there are often 20,000 empty seats now. They only count tickets sold.

When it gets worse they will start giving away tickets to boys clubs and count those as tickets sold.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Numbers can be played to look better than they really are. Like the student section being 3/4 empty after half time ( can't say I blamed them) or sold tickets being reported as true attendance. I attended every home game last year and some games there were a lot more empty seats than 4000.
Just win baby and the seats will full once more. Simple as that or at least put a product on the field that gives us hope.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If Mullen doesn't field a competitive team then fan attendance will fall off. The what happens next? Mullen starts in on how more supportive the fans were at Cowbell and Megan chimes in with how much she loved living in Starkvegas. Then this won't end well.

I think people will mostly excuse the first year but people will be in a pretty bad mood if Mullen pulls a crappy # 14 or so recruiting class on top of a mediocre season. I guess if he was to yank Franks and let Jones take his bumps later in the season that could help with perception also. I just have a bad feeling we are going to have a bad loss or two this season.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I thought the article was right on target and I was really surprised at the number of negative comments the writer received at the end of his piece.
At this point, I think Mullen should spend less time whining and more time recruiting.

80,000 fans/game to watch the worst offense in football and he complains? Really?

Mullen - Score some points and win some games and the Swamp will fill up again.
Stricklin - Spend some money on football. If you want something, you must invest in it.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The Miami fans started the wave but it disappeared in a section of undertow attendance.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Besides, T-gator and maybe one other, I am very vocal at my dislike of Cousin Eddie as HC. !
There is basically one person who liked the Cousin Eddie hire. And he likes Nickelback too.

Most others are just trying to choke a bite or two of this shyt sandwich down bc it is all we are getting for three years, regardless.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Exactly what is this piece trying to say? It's all over the map with narratives.
just another dumper trying to say we should not have bandwagon fans. He is an idiot. And a veiled attack on our coach who has not
coached a game.........I despise critics like that........reminds me of a little league parent that needs to STFU.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
I am a lifelong Gator and was long before I ever set foot on campus. I had season tickets in the same section for over 35 years. I sat through some crappy teams and seasons where a bowl game (any bowl game) was considered a success (re: Doug Dickey and Galen Hall). If anyone in my lifetime has failed to support Gator football it is the administration which hired the likes of Zook, Muschamp and McElwain and even in the midst of uncertainly and mediocrity offered extensions and raises to those under-achievers. When anyone, including the head coach, even hints at criticizing this fan base, they better sure as hell be competing for the National Championship.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, we aren't fanatic about poorly-played football - no, not here at our UF. We await, and while we do we rumble like a stalled volcano.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.