Mullen’s scheme

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
Yeah there are some people that don't understand that we have had 10 miserable years with two losing seasons. There were times we had just one QB and only 6 OL.
We had no proven QB and a suspect OL. The WR and TEs left a lot to be desired as well. Our facilities are way behind and the dorms are atrocious. On top of that we have the whiniest fan base ever. Now why would a "top" coach come here? Some people have an overinflated idea of how attractive this job is.

And if I recall correctly, didn't you and Mullen have some un-pleasantries when you were bench-press spotting back then Itraz? When you say stuff like "his last QB did not progress over 4 years" which is blatantly untrue, I wonder, is this just personal?

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Absolutely, but the large majority of championship teams have better than Mississippi State talent. God couldn't recruit or coach a championship caliber team at MSU.

I never said he should have won a championship at MSU. I'm just pointing out that he hasn't fielded top offenses without that type of talent at QB (including his time at UF), and he did accomplish that briefly at MSU.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Well I guess I would counter that Spurrier's system was awfully good, but it worked much better at UF with a positive talent gap than at Duke or SoCar and the same goes for Saban at Mich State, LSU compared to UAL.

Spurrier's passing numbers at Duke with that talent level showed his offenses back then could perform well above the talent on them.

Saban has never had great offenses considering the talent level. It seems he mostly wins on defense and smashing the other team enough on the ground to open up the passing but I guess Saban has got more with the program the last few years.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Fact is time of possession with a dink and dunk run heavy offense is the best way a championship prototype team wins...that’s why Big12 teams and chip Kelly Oregon fizzle out against a good offense with a higher caliber defense...and you can look at any team and give me a table or list or any other type of schematic but the fact is Brady and Bama doesn’t win or light up the scoreboard with a long ball heavy offense...it’s a run heavy TOP ball control scheme

I remember the spurrier offense I also remember that he had a great defense to go along with it...most air raid offenses don’t have that except the couple years TCU had a passable defense

Is the second statement above from you, you recanting your first statement? Spurrier had great defenses, he said in his opening press conference as a UF coach that you must be able to stop the run. Spurrier also taught QBs to read from long to short so as to not miss big plays. So if you have in fact witnessed UF's greatest success with a non-dink and non-dunk non-run heavy (but more balanced than some remember) offense, why would you make the claims you made in the first post above?

As for your claim about NE, last year they ranked:

2nd in scoring offense
1st in total offense
1st in passing yards offense
2nd in yards per pass attempt
3rd in yards per pass completion
15th in rushing yards offense
13th in time of possession

Making them about the opposite of the offense you described.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
A no brainard for Mullen. Now UF is on the hook for a lot of dough. One in doubt can only hope we end up pleasantly surprised in the end.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sure you can ask almost any coach isn't the flagship university in Texas, Florida, and California if they'd rather have homefield advantage every year in recruiting.

Tay Bang

Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018

Neither of the two big fish were guaranteed winners. Neither has won anything. Kelly is another Meyer. He has to blow up at some point. What younger guys that are “great” recruiters? Easiest places to recruit? Not right now. UF is crap to recruit. You are right, the younger unproven guys are riskier. So why not hope for the best before Mullen has coached his first game? Why is the glass so empty?

Tay Bang

Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018

You said four years. Not two. Blatantly untrue.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
Most of Brady’s yards are after the catch set up by wait for it....the run game and having wide receivers that can move upfield I know what you’re trying to say but play action is a big part of mcdaniels offense

Tay Bang

Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018

He didn’t get any reps or snaps much less playing time behind Dak Prescott. It’s just easy to say Mullen will suck when any coach in the country is going to suck with this Gator team for at least two years. My point is, you just don’t know. You present your opinion as 100% fact, instead of just as an opinion.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Neither of the two big fish were guaranteed winners. Neither has won anything. Kelly is another Meyer. He has to blow up at some point. What younger guys that are “great” recruiters? Easiest places to recruit? Not right now. UF is crap to recruit. You are right, the younger unproven guys are riskier. So why not hope for the best before Mullen has coached his first game? Why is the glass so empty?

Reading this thread, I can now see how Tay Bang lost so much money betting on the Gators.

Someone tell Pitts to stay away from him.

Tay Bang

Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018

This team is trash. Physically and mentally. Total rebuild. That’s not pumping. Per your point, Toney was out for the season after his first big hit last year. No reason to expect differently this year. He’s more worried about wannabe gang-banging than becoming a champion. He’s a microcosm of the entire team at this point. Knuckle heads don’t run offenses at UF.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Jeez almighty, apparently if you get owned trying to argue Xs and Os, the standard fall back is to just claim that noone could win here with what we have. Weak

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.