Mullen beat Meyer in year 2 at MSU

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
It's going to take about 3 years to get rid of the stench Butters left behind.
I think we will surprise people next year. If the 2 WR transfers get approved and Mullen can get some QB improvement our offense should score enough to upset some teams especially if our injury luck improves. Of course they need to.win every game by 30 points.

Last edited:

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
The bashers may very well end up right, but what's the point of being so damn insufferable already?
No adjustment time for Mullen. I expect 30 point blow outs from game one or feel the wrath of my keyboard. I am a Gator poster and that is what I am owed.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
No adjustment time for Mullen. I expect 30 point blow outs from game one or feel the wrath of my keyboard. I am a Gato posterm and that is what I am owed.
I think Butters walked into a bad situation. The roster on the offensive side of the ball was in shambles, and morale was low. He had an uphill battle, no doubt. Perhaps at some point he just figured it was a lost cause (at least for his abilities) and he simply threw in the towel and walked away. An honorable man would have thanked UF for the opportunity and refused a multi-million dollar buyout (like Spurrier did at Washington), but Butters is not an honorable man.

Mullen walks into a situation which is, incredibly, somehow even worse than that. Now the entire roster (not just the offensive side) is depleted, and the brand is in its lowest depths since Jimmy Carter was in office. What's left of the team had been operating under a lazy coaching staff which offered no accountability or discipline. The players had no motivation to do anything. Just getting the bunch of stiffs we still have left turned around is a job of Herculean effort for this coaching staff.

To Mullen's credit, he wants to be here, and has been very public about that fact from the moment he stepped off the plane. This is something we need. Chip Kelly clearly didn't want to be here, and Scott Frost was too much of a wimp to keep from buckling under the pressure to go back to his alma mater, a job I'm convinced he didn't want. At any rate, Mullen has put himself and the Gator brand front and center everywhere he's gone, and he's been going all over the country. For recruiting to get back to where it needs to be, we're going to have to perform on the field. If that happens, everything will fall into place.

So what's the damn point? Well, Mullen's got his work cut out for him. What's currently working in his favor is an extremely weak schedule, giving us to win more games this year than we probably deserve. Everything comes down to the damn QB position. If we can just find a damn QB, I think we're going to snowball in the right direction. Whether or not Mullen could ever win titles I have no idea, but I at least think he could get us back to a respected national football program. Honestly, I never felt that way about Muschamp or Mac.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I recognize that sofla is a youngun and yes, Cowbell hired a dud just before Mullinz who was horrid, but the coach just before that won the west and was a threat to win it most years. Jackie Sherrill got ancient and stayed way too long, but Cowbell was a real contender even in the late 90s. In his first eight years (Sherrill inherited a terrible team, like most coaches, there is a reason usually why the last dude got fired) but he finished first or second in the SEC west 3 times in his first eight years.

Mullinz managed a winning SEC record only once and never finished first or second.

All Mullinz did well was load up on 1AA and geographic schools better than any other coach. Of course, after those 4 cupcake wins in September, it went down hill after that every year.

Well, at least he usually beat the cupcakes.

South_Alabama_Mississ_Jone_t610.jpg

South Alabama cornerbacks Darian Mills (24) and Quinton Dent (21) celebrate their 21-20 win over Mississippi State in an NCAA college football game in Starkville, Miss., Saturday, Sept. 3, 2016. (AP Photo/Rogelio V. Solis)

Now we have to fear Geogya Southern and South Alabama.

To be fair the West was god awful in the 90s...possibly worse than the East now. After 92 when bama **** the bed they had nothing

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Everyone continues to re hash Mullens record. WE ALL KNOW what his record is. Its been discussed over and over and over. There were maybe 4-5 people who actually wanted Mullen hired and I wasn't one of them. That being said, he is our coach now and he has run circles around the last idiot and has come here full of energy and desire to win. He knows darned well what the expectations are. Can he meet them? Who knows. I hope so. I didn't want him and I already know his record but I am pulling hard for him to succeed. Go coach Mullen and go Gators!!

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Everyone continues to re hash Mullens record. WE ALL KNOW what his record is. Its been discussed over and over and over. There were maybe 4-5 people who actually wanted Mullen hired and I wasn't one of them. That being said, he is our coach now and he has run circles around the last idiot and has come here full of energy and desire to win. He knows darned well what the expectations are. Can he meet them? Who knows. I hope so. I didn't want him and I already know his record but I am pulling hard for him to succeed. Go coach Mullen and go Gators!!

Kind of how I see it. I will hold fire until I see this next recruiting class. He has no choice but to excel there with how Smart at Georgia is recruiting.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen walks into a situation which is, incredibly, somehow even worse than that. Now the entire roster (not just the offensive side) is depleted, and the brand is in its lowest depths since Jimmy Carter was in office.
For recruiting to get back to where it needs to be, we're going to have to perform on the field. If that happens, everything will fall into place.
This is all so true. I keep trying to remind myself that as good of a recruiter as Creyer and Co were, they didn't start landing a top class until January of 2006.

Everything comes down to the damn QB position.
Everything comes down to the OL. Everything comes down to the OL. There is very little you can do with a poor OL, maybe just quick tosses outside and quick edge runs to get away from the middle but your OTs must still hold on those.

There are plenty of things you can do without a QB. Ugly and Bammer did it last year with a QB no more effective than Franks.

We have a stable of functional though not elite backs who could carry the load even with horrid QB play ala 2012 if we just have a functional OL.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This is all so true. I keep trying to remind myself that as good of a recruiter as Creyer and Co were, they didn't start landing a top class until January of 2006.

Everything comes down to the OL. Everything comes down to the OL. There is very little you can do with a poor OL, maybe just quick tosses outside and quick edge runs to get away from the middle but your OTs must still hold on those.

There are plenty of things you can do without a QB. Ugly and Bammer did it last year with a QB no more effective than Franks.

We have a stable of functional though not elite backs who could carry the load even with horrid QB play ala 2012 if we just have a functional OL.

Their QBs might not be that good but I think they aren't anywhere close to where Franks is at as far as being lost.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Their QBs might not be that good but I think they aren't anywhere close to where Franks is at as far as being lost.
They aren't 4000 yard QBs and they are standing behind their line with six seconds to think instead of getting hit in the teeth every three plays. Bammer was the 91st passing offense and Ugly was 105th. (Cowbell as 115th and Sharkfvkker was 101st.)http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings?sport_code=MFB&division=11

All I'm saying is that a very mediocre or talented but inexperienced QB can look ok (and good enough to win) behind a good line.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
I’m not sure who is “bagging” on Mullen, but there are people at both ends of the spectrum here. The next time Mullen does anything notable as a head coach, will be the first. I think expectations should be tempered.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
To be fair the West was god awful in the 90s...possibly worse than the East now. After 92 when bama **** the bed they had nothing
Well they're certainly was no Saban Alabama, but trailer Bama Barn and corn dogs always had top 15 talent.

The west also never had a Kentucky or Vandy type teams that just don't really belong to be in the SEC. Everyone in the west was going to give you a game. There were several years in the 80s that the SEC had one or zero Bowl losses.

There's a pretty good argument that the SEC was much better then, plus we actually had some offenses back then. The SEC now is trailer bammer and no one else.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
In short, let me say this: Take a great coach like Saban or Meyer and give them 5 years at MSU and 5 years at UF. I say they win more games over the 5 years at UF.

I see why you are so feared in Vegas...

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I recognize that sofla is a youngun and yes, Cowbell hired a dud just before Mullinz who was horrid, but the coach just before that won the west and was a threat to win it most years. Jackie Sherrill got ancient and stayed way too long, but Cowbell was a real contender even in the late 90s. In his first eight years (Sherrill inherited a terrible team, like most coaches, there is a reason usually why the last dude got fired) but he finished first or second in the SEC west 3 times in his first eight years.

Mullinz managed a winning SEC record only once and never finished first or second.

All Mullinz did well was load up on 1AA and geographic schools better than any other coach. Of course, after those 4 cupcake wins in September, it went down hill after that every year.

Well, at least he usually beat the cupcakes.

South_Alabama_Mississ_Jone_t610.jpg

South Alabama cornerbacks Darian Mills (24) and Quinton Dent (21) celebrate their 21-20 win over Mississippi State in an NCAA college football game in Starkville, Miss., Saturday, Sept. 3, 2016. (AP Photo/Rogelio V. Solis)

Now we have to fear Geogya Southern and South Alabama.

Miss State finished second in 2014. Nothing to hang your hat on, but just pointing that out. But for all the talk about Mullen's 33-39 SEC record, Sherrill was 43-59-1 in his 13 years of a much weaker overall SEC West.

And mind you, by the time he'd taken the job, he had 13 seasons as a head coach under his belt, whereas Mullen was a first time head coach. So even comparing the two is extremely flawed. But it's even worse when Mullen's performance--in conference, during a tougher stretch--was better. Not sure why you keep bringing him up.

And really none of this even matters. The debate was never about which coach was better. The fact that guys who had fairly pedestrian records, and mild success at MSU happen to hold a ton of school records and accolades is the point. Take away DM and JS, and you're talking about a history that's as bad or worse than Uk and Vu. Three or four decent years in a half century doesn't change that. It's a garbage place to coach and anyone who makes it out of there alive should be given some measure of commendation.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think we will surprise people next year. If the 2 WR transfers get approved and Mullen can get some QB improvement our offense should score enough to upset some teams especially if our injury luck improves. Of course they need to.win every game by 30 points.
It don't make a shcit who our receivers are. You could put antonio Brown and julio Jones out there. Franks is hands down the worst qb in a decade of terrible qbs. The stats even prove it. Having a bad qb is like having a catcher without a glove or a golfer without a putter. If theres one thing I've learned the last few years is bad qb play just sucks the life out of an entire team. If Franks is the starter we will not make a bowl and we will have a shcitty recruiting class and mullen and Stricklin will be jobless in 2 and half years. I personally couldn't be more unhappy with how things are going .

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
It don't make a shcit who our receivers are. You could put antonio Brown and julio Jones out there. Franks is hands down the worst qb in a decade of terrible qbs. The stats even prove it. Having a bad qb is like having a catcher without a glove or a golfer without a putter. If theres one thing I've learned the last few years is bad qb play just sucks the life out of an entire team. If Franks is the starter we will not make a bowl and we will have a shcitty recruiting class and mullen and Stricklin will be jobless in 2 and half years. I personally couldn't be more unhappy with how things are going .
Uplifting as hell. Kudos to you, sir. I now feel like running through a wall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.