Mullen beat Meyer in year 2 at MSU

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The problem was the hole was greater than some of its parts.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We’ll ever know with this OL situation.

Correct, we could have Joe Montana or tom Brady behind this line, and all we would see is what we got from Franks last year. If you can't protect the quarterback for half a second, you can't expect schit from the position.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I'm not looking for an excuse for Mullen, but to claim we have an average offensive line for SEC play is also illogical. If Ivey is a guard he would be good, but he is "solid" at tackle. We have to protect our RT, Heggie is solid, and two missing pieces.

Scheme was an issue last year, we had a scheme that made no sense with the talent we had on the roster. We also had receivers that couldn't run routes, a quarterback to green to read defenses, etc... Mullen's scheme should limit some of that, with doing what he did with Tebow where he reads a quarter of the field and bails.

The fact is we most likely overpaid for Mullen, but he will get us to respectability but not elite. But there is a lot of schit on this roster, that still needs to be cleaned out. O-line has been a glaring weakiness for this team for almost a decade. We have yet to have 5 guys who can play with each other as a solid unit. We do have talent here and there, but not 5 guys you can trust together in the trenches.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
What did you see out of this offensive line last year, or in the last 8 years that makes you trust them?
I was reacting to the fact that you say Montana or Brady would have played exactly the same as Franks last year. You've been slowly losing it since you turned 80.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I was reacting to the fact that you say Montana or Brady would have played exactly the same as Franks last year. You've been slowly losing it since you turned 80.

Watch out they play with less than a second to pass... no quarterback would do well.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Watch out they play with less than a second to pass... no quarterback would do well.
A smart QB with a quick release can still do very well without a top-flight OL. Franks is not only dumb, he has the longest, slowest wind-up I've ever seen. He makes Tim Tebow look like Dan Marino in comparison.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
A smart QB with a quick release can still do very well without a top-flight OL. Franks is not only dumb, he has the longest, slowest wind-up I've ever seen. He makes Tim Tebow look like Dan Marino in comparison.
I would not call Franks dumb. I would say he is not quick thinking. Seems like a determined good kid who does not react to things quickly.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I would not call Franks dumb. I would say he is not quick thinking. Seems like a determined good kid who does not react to things quickly.
That's what "dumb" meant. Didn't really think it needed an explanation in the context I used it.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This is true. His windup is slower than Dipshytskel's, and I thought that was the slowest ever. These guys throw like rightfielders winding up to throw to 3rd base.

Yes, there are things you can do to overcome a weak OL, mostly quick hitters pass or runs to the edge away from the pressure, but Nussdrunk did none of those, probably bc Butters told him we have the best OL in the SEC.

However having the drunk azz moron calling the same play on first down every series (screen pass left or screen pass right), and then a---- I still can't believe this--- play action pass on 3rd (usually 3rd and long) every series didn't help in the slightest. In fact, it's hard to imagine how to make it harder on a QB. So it's 3rd down, a putrid OL, a defense that is almost always blitzing (because they know you are terrible under pressure and they know your OC won't let you throw downfield) and what happens? The fvkking OC wants you to fake a handoff (requires looking away from the receivers and secondary), often faking a hand off to no one, seriously, even on empty backfield plays the coach calls for a play fake, then the QB, if still upright, has to look downfield and throw to the same damn receiver (Powell) running a slow developing crossing route across the middle, where the spies and rovers live.

If there are worst play calls for a weak OL and a freshman QB who was on the field too soon, please tell me what it would be. I'm open for thoughts because off the top of my head, I can't think of one. AND WE RAN THAT DAMN PLAY ACTION ON EVERY 3RD DOWN. Even the commentators were laughing about it.

No, Marino or Brady wouldn't have fared well under that circumstance either.

Last edited:

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
That's what "dumb" meant. Didn't really think it needed an explanation in the context I used it.
That's fine I was just going by the definition.

Dumb
adjective
adjective: dumb; comparative adjective: dumber; superlative adjective: dumbest
  1. 1.
    temporarily unable or unwilling to speak.
    "they stood dumb while the attacker poured out a stream of abuse"
    synonyms: mute, speechless, tongue-tied, silent, at a loss for words; More

2. 2.
    resulting in or expressed by speechlessness.
    "they stared in dumb amazement"

3. 3.
    datedoffensive
    (of a person) unable to speak, most typically because of congenital deafness.
    "he was born deaf, dumb, and blind"
    • (of animals) unable to speak as a natural state and thus regarded as helpless or deserving pity.
  4. 4.
    NORTH AMERICANinformal
    stupid.
    "a dumb question"
    synonyms: stupid, unintelligent, ignorant, dense, brainless, mindless, foolish, slow, dull, simple, empty-headed, stunned, vacuous, vapid, idiotic, half-baked, imbecilic, bovine;

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-14_11-6-40.png
    upload_2018-5-14_11-6-40.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 59
  • upload_2018-5-14_11-6-40.png
    upload_2018-5-14_11-6-40.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 59

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
That's fine I was just going by the definition.

Dumb
adjective
adjective: dumb; comparative adjective: dumber; superlative adjective: dumbest
  1. 1.
    temporarily unable or unwilling to speak.
    "they stood dumb while the attacker poured out a stream of abuse"

2. 2.
    resulting in or expressed by speechlessness.
    "they stared in dumb amazement"

3. 3.
    datedoffensive
    (of a person) unable to speak, most typically because of congenital deafness.
    "he was born deaf, dumb, and blind"
    • (of animals) unable to speak as a natural state and thus regarded as helpless or deserving pity.
  4. 4.
    NORTH AMERICANinformal
    stupid.
    "a dumb question"
    synonyms: stupid, unintelligent, ignorant, dense, brainless, mindless, foolish, slow, dull, simple, empty-headed, stunned, vacuous, vapid, idiotic, half-baked, imbecilic, bovine;

Clearly, numbers 1.1 thru 4 don't apply to you.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Well Mullen is 1-0 versus Meyer as a head coach on the field so far so no sniffing of jock straps is necessary. Mullen is younger which could be nice if he succeeds at UF.

I’m pretty sure Mullen was the Miss st coach in ‘09 when we went to Starkville and beat them with Tebow. So they are 1-1 head to head.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
I’m pretty sure Mullen was the Miss st coach in ‘09 when we went to Starkville and beat them with Tebow. So they are 1-1 head to head.
Thanks for the correction.

You are correct that #1 UF did go into little MSU and won by 10 points in Mullen's first year as a head coach there. Mullen beat Meyer in year 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.