Mullen explains Mullen Offense (Videos from Utah)

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
He won't win any academy awards, but it's good insight for those of us (me) that are X and O challenged.

Passing

Running

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Great post - thanks!

It’s interesting to watch that from 12+ years ago, recognize the routes and remember those plays in Orange & Blue.

I’m pretty sure that’s Alex Smith in the running play demonstration. I can also see that play in Orange & Blue. Kestahn Moore was always good for 1.5 yards on first down.

Last edited:

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Great post - thanks!

It’s interesting to watch that from 12+ years ago, recognize the routes and remember those plays in Orange & Blue.

I’m pretty sure that’s Alex Smith in the running play demonstration. I can also see that play in Orange & Blue. Kestahn Moore was always good for 1.5 yards on first down.

Yes excellent post. Good stuff.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
I can't wait to see a vertical passing game again!!!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
How did I know you would find something negative about this?:lol:
Ive already seen this movie.

It doesnt include vertical passing more than once a half.

I will give you the longer version later. your homework is to look at the cowbell versus Rebel bear game especially around the 6-minute mark.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Ive already seen this movie.

It doesnt include vertical passing more than once a half.

I will give you the longer version later. your homework is to look at the cowbell versus Rebel bear game especially around the 6-minute mark.

That has to be the simplest route tree in existence. It’s much more “move the sticks” than “break their will.”

I don’t recall him using the pass to set up the run except in games like OSU where they were breaking tendencies.

I’d ignore the Egg Bowl since they lost their QB in that game. Looking at A&M, LSU and Bama - combined - 2 passes over 25 yards. And they beat A&M and LSU badly, lost to Bama by 7.

I did find Meyer’s offenses interesting and innovative. Just not anything like SOS.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t recall him using the pass to set up the run except in games like OSU where they were breaking tendencies.
I really liked that offense, and 2007. We were much more balanced and much more of a passing team them. There were always rumors that Creyer was much more conservative and that Mullinz wanted to open it up. I can't say that I saw much at Cowbell to make me think that is the case, but perhaps it was just a talent gap problem as some hope.

The spread plays are basically the spread plays. Most teams run inside zones, outside zones, q powers, varies hi lows and floods, 4 verts. But you get different offenses bc say the plays that Mullinz calls are completely different (180 degrees actually) from what the Mumme/Leach Holgerson, with Mullinz being 80% run and Mumme clan being 80% pass. The Tommy Bowden/Rich Rodriguez branch runs lots of 4 verticals. Mullinz basically runs one a half.

I’d ignore the Egg Bowl since they lost their QB in that game.
You shouldn't. The QB was still playing at that time. The point was that the defense can basically select what play (or group of plays) Mullinz will run by showing x number of guys in the box, then drop back into a defense tailor made for that audible. Look specifically at the interception on the play before the Qb was hurt. Mullinz has been around for a while and Bammer knew this in 2009. Hopefully he is ready to grow some.

I do think he is more likely to listen to some ideas that Spurrier has as opposed to the last hygiene-challenged azzhat we just fired. The weakness imo is that the QB goes up to the line of scrimmage, counts guys in the box, then audibles (or the team does the LEMUR OFFENSE thing, looks to the sideline and gets the play). It takes a lot of time, and we usually snapped at like 27 or 28 seconds. Defenses knew this and would drop back into a defense basically the opposite of what they were showing and we didn't have time to counter.

I say listen to SOS not because I expect Mullinz to drop the slow, ball control option and instead adopt a fun and gun, but because SOS' play calls actually had reads made by the QB and at least one WR to adjust the routes based on what defense was played up front (man/zone) and how many high safeties there were. He'd often call the same play five times in a row and it looked different each time if the defense changed. Now this required very smart QBs and for the WRs to be on the same page. It didn't always work, but with the right players it was damn near impossible to stop. The only answer was to blitz like crazy, which was totally against the nature of most conservative SEC coaches back then.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Corkers+-+QB,+WR+Rules.png

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I really liked that offense, and 2007. We were much more balanced and much more of a passing team them. There were always rumors that Creyer was much more conservative and that Mullinz wanted to open it up. I can't say that I saw much at Cowbell to make me think that is the case, but perhaps it was just a talent gap problem as some hope.

The spread plays are basically the spread plays. Most teams run inside zones, outside zones, q powers, varies hi lows and floods, 4 verts. But you get different offenses bc say the plays that Mullinz calls are completely different (180 degrees actually) from what the Mumme/Leach Holgerson, with Mullinz being 80% run and Mumme clan being 80% pass. The Tommy Bowden/Rich Rodriguez branch runs lots of 4 verticals. Mullinz basically runs one a half.

You shouldn't. The QB was still playing at that time. The point was that the defense can basically select what play (or group of plays) Mullinz will run by showing x number of guys in the box, then drop back into a defense tailor made for that audible. Look specifically at the interception on the play before the Qb was hurt. Mullinz has been around for a while and Bammer knew this in 2009. Hopefully he is ready to grow some.

I do think he is more likely to listen to some ideas that Spurrier has as opposed to the last hygiene-challenged azzhat we just fired. The weakness imo is that the QB goes up to the line of scrimmage, counts guys in the box, then audibles (or the team does the LEMUR OFFENSE thing, looks to the sideline and gets the play). It takes a lot of time, and we usually snapped at like 27 or 28 seconds. Defenses knew this and would drop back into a defense basically the opposite of what they were showing and we didn't have time to counter.

I say listen to SOS not because I expect Mullinz to drop the slow, ball control option and instead adopt a fun and gun, but because SOS' play calls actually had reads made by the QB and at least one WR to adjust the routes based on what defense was played up front (man/zone) and how many high safeties there were. He'd often call the same play five times in a row and it looked different each time if the defense changed. Now this required very smart QBs and for the WRs to be on the same page. It didn't always work, but with the right players it was damn near impossible to stop. The only answer was to blitz like crazy, which was totally against the nature of most conservative SEC coaches back then.

5-Star Post. Thanks!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He learned passing from that offensive mastermind Bob Davie.

Of course, I recently learned that Davie has evolved himself. He is now running 3 running backs in the quadruple option.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Bob Davie lives.

I swear I saw some video of him running full backfield. Can't find it now.

Actually you could argue that Davie has advanced past Mullinz. You can see he is having those WRs run routes (taking DBs with them) instead of trying to block (and hold the block for 5 seconds).

EDIT: here is a bit

Woo hooo!!!! 1997 Notre Dame!!!!! Running 1957 offense!

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Since Franks is mentally challenged this offense should help him out alot. It's going to be interesting to see if he's going to get serious about the game this offseason or if he's going to continue to let the skirt lead him around by the nose. If he does put the work in things could get interesting in the fall!

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I'm going on record. I still don't like the hire. I never liked that offense when he was here. I liked watching Tebow and Harvin. But I didn't like the offense. (yes, we won 2 NCs...I still don't like the offense)

I think it will be an improvement from pathetic and embarrassing all the way up to boring and reasonably competitive.

giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator