Mullen gets the most out of his players

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I don't have a problem with this opinion. The issue is does this auto-translate to a bigger school with higher expectations and more resources. Does 8-4 at MSU become 10-2 at UF? I would feel a lot better if his winning % vs ranked teams was .500 instead of 4-31 or whatever. I just can't seem to get over that. Hiring an up and comer with some HUGE wins seems better to me than Mullen.

Sundaysunday

Jul 27, 2014
I agree that 4-31 sucks but I would attribute a large part of those losses to being out talented. I’m hopeful recruiting will pickup although it’s starting to feel like his record against ranked teams.

As for the record I don’t think we will be 10-2 this season but i expect to be on our way by year two.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I agree that 4-31 sucks but I would attribute a large part of those losses to being out talented. I’m hopeful recruiting will pickup although it’s starting to feel like his record against ranked teams.

As for the record I don’t think we will be 10-2 this season but i expect to be on our way by year two.

Isn't that the definition of doing more with less though? Beating teams you shouldn't beat? His record vs ranked teams seems to be an indictment rather than a confirmation, no?

PS I guess I do have a problem with this opinion. LOL.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I agree that 4-31 sucks but I would attribute a large part of those losses to being out talented.
4-4 vs Arky? Out talented?
4-4 vs Ole Miss? Out talented? Out coached by an interim he is a mouth breather?
0-1 vs University of South Alabammer. Out talented?

We good vs. Kintucky though. We have them for sure. The sole SEC team he has a winning record against.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I don't have a problem with this opinion. The issue is does this auto-translate to a bigger school with higher expectations and more resources. Does 8-4 at MSU become 10-2 at UF? I would feel a lot better if his winning % vs ranked teams was .500 instead of 4-31 or whatever. I just can't seem to get over that. Hiring an up and comer with some HUGE wins seems better to me than Mullen.

Didn't you read that Mullen beat Meyer once, 8 years ago. Everything will be just fine!! Settle down!! Step away from the ledge... (is there anymore homer comments I can make to help you feel better?)

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Didn't you read that Mullen beat Meyer once, 8 years ago. Everything will be just fine!! Settle down!! Step away from the ledge... (is there anymore homer comments I can make to help you feel better?)

He beat Addazio?

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015

There’s nothing automatic about it and situations are specific, but he’s been roughly as effective vs. ranked teams as Jim Franklin was at Vandy.

This article is from last summer but illustrates the point:
http://www.fbschedules.com/2017/07/which-college-football-head-coaches-best-worst-vs-top-25/

Miss State is the bottom feeder of the West. It’s a better program than Vandy or UK but the West has been so strong during Mullen’s HC tenure that I think the Vandy-MSU comparison is valid.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
There’s nothing automatic about it and situations are specific, but he’s been roughly as effective vs. ranked teams as Jim Franklin was at Vandy.

http://www.fbschedules.com/2017/07/which-college-football-head-coaches-best-worst-vs-top-25/

Miss State is the bottom feeder of the West. It’s a better program than Vandy or UK but the West has been so strong during Mullen’s HC tenure that I think the Vandy-MSU comparison is valid.
Well, at least we didn't hire Butch Jones or Addazio, I guess.

Daz is probably next after Mullinz though.

You guys trying to make Missy State into Kintucky or Vandy are pretty humorous though. Remember those years as recent as the late 90s when Vandy and Kintucky won the east or competed for it every year? Me either.

Yeah, we know. Dan Mullinz is no Jackie Sherrill though.

Last edited:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member

I would take Franklin in a heart beat. Didn't Campbell have some big wins last year? Who on that list would you want in the bottom? His company on that list is awful.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
You guys trying to make Missy State into Kintucky or Vandy are pretty humorous though. Remember those years as recent as the late 90s when Vandy and Kintucky won the east or competed for it every year? Me either.

Again with this?

From an article in 2010..

Entering the 2009 football season, all but one of the 12 SEC teams (Miss. State) had an all-time overall record over .500. ..

However, with its 2-10 mark last season, Vanderbilt dropped its record to 556-557-50, joining the Bulldogs as conference teams with more losses than victories. Unfortunately for South Carolina (536-532-44) and Kentucky (567-556-44), they’re just a bad season or two away from joining the club.“

I’m still not sure why you insist on this mantra. It’s perfectly fine to beat a dead horse. But not if the horse is retaliating by repeatedly kicking you in the balls.

Last edited:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Again with this?

Look, “Mullen has a mediocre record. He will fail horrifically here. I hate his style. He sucks.” All acceptable. But your post is nonsense.

From an article in 2010, which is perfect because it isn’t skewed by Mullen’s tenure, nor is Franklin’s VU success factored in.

Entering the 2009 football season, all but one of the 12 SEC teams (Miss. State) had an all-time overall record over .500. ..

However, with its 2-10 mark last season, Vanderbilt dropped its record to 556-557-50, joining the Bulldogs as conference teams with more losses than victories. Unfortunately for South Carolina (536-532-44) and Kentucky (567-556-44), they’re just a bad season or two away from joining the club.“

I’m still not sure why you insist on this mantra. It’s perfectly fine to beat a dead horse. But not if the horse is retaliating by repeatedly kicking you in the balls.

We will find out over the next three years. The point is the article states Mullen does more with less but has an abominable record vs ranked teams...which I personally use a measuring stick for a coach that "does more with less". Scott Frost? Did more with less? Agree? Yeah, it is a dead horse. Mullen needs to recruit. He'll have a punchers chance if he can get some studs here.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Dude looks 24.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

We're not talking about the 40s and 30s here. I don't give a shyt that Kentucky used to be good. I know they even won an SEC in the 70s. ok

Mullinz landed top 20-25ish talent at Cowbell. He wasnt without talent. He was without wins against teams with similiar talent. This was MOSTLY bc his offense is so predictable you can call the play by the time you see the motion alignments and jersey numbers and can force him to do want by the number of high safeties you show presnap.

He would be an innovative OC.... in some middle schools.

I note you've been reasonably quiet on this whole thing. I guess getting your teeth kicked in on your Butterteeth predictions teaches a boy some humility. You should sit this one out.

Look, no one thinks schools like Cowbell or Game Chickens are ever going to play with Bammer and the elites, but Mullinz couldnt beat Arky with two retards coaching and Ole Miss with an interim and with probation looming. Theres no downplaying that.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The point is the article states Mullen does more with less but has an abominable record vs ranked teams....
And a less than .500 record against all SEC teams. Frankly his SEC record is abysmal minus Kentucky.

He did pretty well against most of the 1AA teams he played though, except South Alabama. In year 7. Hard to blame the coach before him for that.

Last edited:

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I would take Franklin in a heart beat. Didn't Campbell have some big wins last year? Who on that list would you want in the bottom? His company on that list is awful.

Iowa St. was 8-5 with wins over Oklahoma & TCU, so some were interested in him. (Not me.)

I agree Franklin is a really fine coach. But other than Meyer and maybe Saban, it’s really a matter of timing and fit. It’s a super hard job and a championship usually involves some good bounces and that critical 1” between a tipped pass and a TD. The likelihood is to come up short. I just don’t think Mullen’s record at MSU vs. Bama etc. is that big a deal.

But we’ve got to chew on something until September.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.