Recruiting Mullen, Kelly, Frost recruiting thus far

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
Hard for new head coach to get early summer commitments from the top recruits (which Mullen wants) after a 4-7 season. The top recruits likely want to see what the new coach can do at UF. Not unusual for top recruits to wait.
FSU just went 7-6 and Slick Willie is pulling talent in so dont give me the excuse of players want to see what a new coach can do

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
FSU just went 7-6 and Slick Willie is pulling talent in so dont give me the excuse of players want to see what a new coach can do
FSU has a win streak versus UF and they have the most recent Nat championship.

As I said above let's see if those recruits stick. Sometimes the recruits are pressured to commit early or lose their spot and it back fires later especially if the coach screws up on the field. Mullen has not been pressuring the top recruits.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen no doubt had a great first class, but the concerns thus far for the second class are valid. There's still a lot of time, but if he doesn't pull in at least a top 10 class this year, then that's a big problem. He's getting paid 6 million a year and is in the top 10 of highest paid coaches. Expecting a coach who makes that much to pull in a top 10 class his second year is not unreasonable. He's being paid more than most coaches to be better than excuses.

And the Kelley/Mullen/Frost recruiting comparisons is like comparing apples and oranges and corn. Ole Miss, UT, and Miss St have higher ranked recruiting classes so far. The Mississippi schools should never out recruit Florida. Ever. Muschamp was able to out-recruit Ole Miss while Ole Miss was paying players. Why is Mullen not out-recruiting Ole Miss while they are littered with NCAA sanctions? I'd say he's neck and neck with Miss St's recruiting right now, but that should never happen either.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen no doubt had a great first class, but the concerns thus far for the second class are valid. There's still a lot of time, but if he doesn't pull in at least a top 10 class this year, then that's a big problem. He's getting paid 6 million a year and is in the top 10 of highest paid coaches. Expecting a coach who makes that much to pull in a top 10 class his second year is not unreasonable. He's being paid more than most coaches to be better than excuses.

And the Kelley/Mullen/Frost recruiting comparisons is like comparing apples and oranges and corn. Ole Miss, UT, and Miss St have higher ranked recruiting classes so far. The Mississippi schools should never out recruit Florida. Ever. Muschamp was able to out-recruit Ole Miss while Ole Miss was paying players. Why is Mullen not out-recruiting Ole Miss while they are littered with NCAA sanctions? I'd say he's neck and neck with Miss St's recruiting right now, but that should never happen either.
We aren't pulling in top classes until we show something on the field. If we show some promise this season (especially if Emory Jones lights it up), the class will fall into place. If we remain a dumpster fire, we're dead.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We aren't pulling in top classes until we show something on the field. If we show some promise this season (especially if Emory Jones lights it up), the class will fall into place. If we remain a dumpster fire, we're dead.

I agree. Hopefully Mullen earns his paycheck unlike the previous doofus. Noticeable improvement, especially on offense, will go a long ways in recruiting.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
As far as Chip Kelly goes, there was always concern that he despised recruiting, which is one reason why he didn't everything possible to stay in the NFL. Those fears appear to be coming true. Not a single recruit for 2019 with his resume and explosive offenses? It's astounding.

Part of me think the kids know he's likely a short-termer there.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
A few wizards of smarts around here... you expect to top 10 recruit in one year after 10 years of UFs piss poor body of work... just stay away from making any important decisions that might affect me :lmao2:

Sundaysunday

Jul 27, 2014
Neither one of the other 2 are really known for recruiting like UF is. What you should be talking about is the fact that Mullen has the lowest average rating for the 19 class since probably before SOS. Even train wreck Mac had a higher average. I've personally never seen it this low with this amount of commits. 3.13 average right now with 8 commits is down right terrible. Plus did anyone on this board think that Frost was gonna pull talent to Nebraka? I sure didnt think he would its Nebraska. I didnt think Kelly would do very well at UCLA either they are in the same city as USC. Both made mistakes by turning us down.

Dude I think you’re incapable of saying anything positive. If you haven’t noticed UF hasn’t been known for recruiting for several years seeming as our recruiting has been down.

Go ahead, but but but but but but but....

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Dude I think you’re incapable of saying anything positive. If you haven’t noticed UF is not known for recruiting seeming as our recruiting has been down for several years.
There's a reason why he has a staggering 240 dislikes on only 1000 posts.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Ole Miss, UT, and Miss St have higher ranked recruiting classes so far. The Mississippi schools should never out recruit Florida. Ever. Muschamp was able to out-recruit Ole Miss while Ole Miss was paying players. Why is Mullen not out-recruiting Ole Miss while they are littered with NCAA sanctions? I'd say he's neck and neck with Miss St's recruiting right now, but that should never happen either.
I don't know what to think about this. on one hand we were recruiting great until he fired Jajuan Seider. On the other hand, we then had the added advantage Clowntown reeling from Dumbo Fisher leaving.

We are still stuck with the old problem of terrible facilities and all the kids in the Southeast calling us the Section 8 housing. That isn't going to change anytime soon.

When we hired Mullen we knew we were getting a guy who is a mediocre recruiter. It is what it is.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Dude I think you’re incapable of saying anything positive. If you haven’t noticed UF hasn’t been known for recruiting for several years seeming as our recruiting has been down.

Go ahead, but but but but but but but....
He's not just negative he spends all his time sucking Clown and Dwag genitals. You don't see Trex or any of the dumpers doing that.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This is true. If you're winning no one cares about facilities. Miami has worse than us. It's when you're trying to climb back to the up that it really hurts you.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
wishes-made.png

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
We are still stuck with the old problem of terrible facilities and all the kids in the Southeast calling us the Section 8 housing. That isn't going to change anytime soon.
Donkey
You are saying inaccurate things again. You said our facilities are terrible. Our athlete academic center is the best one in the SEC. Our IPF is one of the newest ones in the SEC. Our weight room in the Front door facility is not terrible. We are behind on a football stand alone facility but when it is completed (when the 2019 recruits are juniors) it will be one of the better facilities in the SEC. We are not the best currently in facilities but we are not terrible.

Only you can interpret the above as terrible facilities.

The finish line on this recruiting class is not now as you imply. The top kids who make the rankings are not all committed.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Only you can interpret the above as terrible facilities.
Sorry, but our own alums mentioned recently. The quote was second worst in the SEC second to Vandy and they were unanimous.

Do you ever get tired of waiving thise pom poms. You must have very toned shoulders.

Dont tell me about what you think might happen in three or four years with a building we havent even designed yet. Our history so far has been poor.

The finish line on this recruiting class is not now as you imply. The top kids who make the rankings are not all committed.
I agree. But the snowball is rolling the wrong way since the early signing period last year.

We have to land like every blue chip Target we have left on our board to get a top 10 class. I'm sorry but that just isn't realistic.

To me, this recruiting class is ALL that matters. I dont much care what happens on the field this year, though progress would help recruiting. This year is a write off to me.

However this recruiting class NEEDS to be a top class, not neccessarily #1-3 but close in numbers of bluechippers and in the right positions, not just DBs.

If he doesnt get the snowball.rolling now he wont have time to recover. He gets four years IMO, but this coming class basically decides what happens in 2021 and 2022.

We need three great classes to be a contender again.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018

UF beat FSU out for Emory Jones last season. This summer FSU has the higher star ranked QB in 2019 class (Howell) but watch out for UF's Jalen Jones long term rating.

Nike ratings:

Height:
Howell: 6-1.5
E.Jones: 6-2.5
J. Jones: 6-4

Weight:
Howell: 225
E.Jones: 195
J. Jones: 203

FORTY:
Howell: 5.12
E.Jones: 4.77
J. Jones: 4.45

VERTICAL JUMP:
Howell: 23.3
E.Jones: 32.3
J. Jones: 32.7

POWERBALL:

Howell: 34
E.Jones: 34
J. Jones: 39

OVER ALL RATING (PERCENTILE):

Howell: 62.19
E.Jones: 86.19
J. Jones: 103.68 (99%)

This Jalon Jones kid is confident.

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/florida-recruiting-jalon-jones-2019-class

Last edited:

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Sorry, but our own alums mentioned recently. The quote was second worst in the SEC second to Vandy and they were unanimous.

Do you ever get tired of waiving thise pom poms. You must have very toned shoulders..
Do you always perceive things like Eyore. Be accurate.

Be accurate of what we have. Not old polls. I have never seen anyone but you say that UF's Athlete Academic center is terrible as it is the best one in the SEC. You are the only person I have seen that says our Indoor Practice Facility is terrible. It is one of the longest indoor fields in the SEC and is brand new.

You are the exact opposite of this 2019 QB commitment interview. The interviewer sees a slow start like you would.

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/florida-recruiting-jalon-jones-2019-class

I agree. But the snowball is rolling the wrong way since the early signing period last year.

We have to land like every blue chip Target we have left on our board to get a top 10 class. I'm sorry but that just isn't realistic.
n.
Eyore you are rolling the wrong way. All the top current commitments are NOT locked in as you imply. Who we can sign will change. The rankings for everyone will be fluid. Recruits committ early all the time to lock in a spot. Then things in their teenage mind change.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
A few wizards of smarts around here... you expect to top 10 recruit in one year after 10 years of UFs piss poor body of work... just stay away from making any important decisions that might affect me :lmao2:

Coaches that are good recruiters that come to big time schools like UF usually have top classes the 2nd recruiting class no matter the past few years or a substandard year that 1st season. Mullen will show how good of a recruiter he is with this next class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator