Mullen/McElwain: Night and Day!

Discussion in 'Main Sports Forum' started by NoGaGator, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey THREE STAR U
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $10,807
    Ratings:
    +34,817 / -1,049
    Self admitted bandwagon fan.

• gatormandan

gatormandan The Donk Slayer!
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $1,592
      Ratings:
      +6,146 / -179
      Is this your bandwagon?

[​IMG]

• Durfish

Durfish A prostate the size of a honeydew...
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $1,386
        Ratings:
        +1,505 / -9
        [​IMG]
        That's Ox at the end making sure everyone has an av.

• GR8 2B

GR8 2B A Florida Gator
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $804
          Ratings:
          +1,660 / -29
          We can only hope.

• Theologator

Theologator Enchanter

Oxbucks:
          $1,814
          Ratings:
          +2,522 / -21
          At TE and ST we’ve replaced Nord.

The TEs were almost invisible last year. Goolsby regressed. No one improved. Knox or Seider may be new to coaching TE’s, but they have to be better and we’ve got some promising young players.

We have to replace an A+ punter and an A+ kicker, which isn’t easy even with the brother and the top recruit stepping in, but I have little doubt our block, coverage and return games will improve.

So we will likely be better in both area and certainly better coached. But will we excel in those areas? That’s my question.

• ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
          $1,061
          Ratings:
          +1,175 / -89
          I was talking to 3 big football fans (2 have worked in football) yesterday that have no UF, or even SEC bias, and they all said the same thing. I guess Gator fans are the only smart unbiased ones. The funny thing was that two of them knew the impressive wr that Billy coached in the last 10 years and made me feel better with that info, but I'd bet most on this board argue how great he is without even knowing that.

#86 ltraz, Jan 7, 2018
          Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
        • ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
          $1,061
          Ratings:
          +1,175 / -89
          According to FEI, msu was 100+ in kickoff return efficiency 2 of the last 3 years, which is something even nord wasn't able to accomplish. He was also 90+ in punt return efficiency once. But I know...those stats only make sense to me since I'm biased.

• ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
          $1,061
          Ratings:
          +1,175 / -89
          That's very true. If you were being honest with what you said then I'll go with that, bc you def follow recruiting more than i do. Id just only heard good things about him as a recruiter for 3 years and feel he got credit for a bunch of our good commits.
          I would still form my own opinion, but I care bc they know him better than most. In this case, they'e laughing bc he did badly enough to be run off. Every Florida fan was not laughing when uga hired a great, young coordinator, bc he hadnt failed yet. That is a pretty huge difference.
          Experience is great if it's good experience. A team full of guys like Summers would have tons of P5 experience, but wouldn't work, right? On the flip side, I love the Robinson hire with the only concern being that he's a dawg. If Knox is as goid a recruiter as you say, and if he do it at a position he doesnt have experience in, then I'm definitely happier about the hire. Still share your concerns about the coaching aspect though. I think a great coach like hevesy can help with the blocking aspect for our TEs (Would try hard to get a GA with experience there too), but that doesn' help the ST numbers. That's the only glaring hole IMO, but its a big one.

• Slevin

Slevin ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Poster
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $3,050
          Ratings:
          +5,329 / -98
          Knox is rated as 247’s nunber 41 recruiter in the country, surprisingly. They weigh a lot of factors when dictating points to recruiters. Sunseri is a top 5, top 10 recruiter in the country. Seider is at 51st, and heavesy is at 80 something. All super legit scores seeing how there were 9 coaches per staff leading up to this year.

I do think Heavesy will help with TE blocking like you said, and Knox has a lot of experience coaching WRs. So the catching and route running aspect is there.

Agree with Special teams. We have Johnny Townsends younger brother for punting, and Mcpherson who is dynamite for kick off and field goals. Coverage is a huge question mark but im going to sit back and see before judging. I have no idea how that will shape up but I really hope we bring that Urban Meyer level of aggression on blocks and coverage. We desperately need all three phases to be in sync to beat Georgia and Bama on an every year basis.

• Acecustis

Acecustis Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
            $120
            Ratings:
            +189 / -17
            You can make a run at coaches who already have jobs. Just like we did with Dan Mullen.

• ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
            $1,061
            Ratings:
            +1,175 / -89
            I don't factor in the actual kicking with a special teams coach, bc that's a QC guy. That's why I never list the stats of FG or punting efficiency. Nord scored great there in year 2 & 3, but it was obviously just the players. Regarding Knox and special teams, if a guy is going to struggle at least it could partly be inexperience since he's only done it a few years. ST is weird in that it's hard to know who is going to excel there so you could always try a guy like Robinson who has an easy 'in-game' position group.

• Swamp Donkey

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $10,807
            Ratings:
            +34,817 / -1,049
            Thats pretty much the same as hiring a staff full of geographic school Sunbelt shyt like Butterteeth did, right?

• Woodroe

Woodroe Sir Knowitall

Oxbucks:
            $221
            Ratings:
            +216 / -6
            That's my point. Name a top 15 coach you were wanting to make a run at.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Gatorchatter mobile app

• Swamp Donkey

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $10,807
            Ratings:
            +34,817 / -1,049

[​IMG]

• Acecustis

Acecustis Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
              $120
              Ratings:
              +189 / -17
              Well I wouldn’t place him in the top 15 at the moment (I think he would get there in no time) but I wanted Frost. As far as a top 15 coach at the moment.. you could take your pick. Dumbo Fish got 75 million so anything is possible. I would love to bring Urban back but you will probably say that wouldn’t happen (I think it would at the right price). James Franklin, Chris Peterson, and David Shaw also should have been given a call. I don’t want this to sound like I think Mullen will fail, he is surprising me right now, but I think better coaches were out there.

• ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
              $1,061
              Ratings:
              +1,175 / -89
              If we go by 247, 2017 had RS at 17, Rumph at 38, skipper at 71. I'm not saying they should be comparable to UF, but msu only had baker at 64. Warren at 110 and knox at 184. In 2016, we had 5 guys in the top 100, including Dixon at #42. RS was at 107. Earliest guy currently with us was Warren at 104. Pretty impressive that he was just outside the top-100 at multiple schools. Would think he could be a top-75 guy easily here. Then seider at 125 and Billy at 127. Two interesting names I noticed were Barry Lunney, arkansas's TEs coach, who was #21 & #52 in 2016 & 2017 and Curtis Luper, tcu's wr coach, #22 & #62.

• Swamp Donkey

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $10,807
              Ratings:
              +34,817 / -1,049
              You still trying to pimp the sunbelt shyt?

If Im at the point of skimming past your stuff, I know the rest of the board is.

Let it go.... let it go....

#97 Swamp Donkey, Jan 7, 2018
              Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
              • Woodroe

Woodroe Sir Knowitall

Oxbucks:
                $221
                Ratings:
                +216 / -6
                It could happen. Flash the right money or women or men (who knows) and that sell out would make up some bs and go anywhere.

I wouldn't take him back if he and mcelwain were the only coaches left on the face of the earth.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Gatorchatter mobile app

• aka

aka I Deliver
                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $610
                Ratings:
                +3,012 / -40
                I guess the next yard stick will be Feb signings. Considering the momentum we seem to have, and it would appear the Will Miles article bears it out, it should be a good transition class. Putting staff and team pieces together by spring ball will be the next challenge so we can start to see a product. I'm more optimistic than not and I'm not sure completely why. Part of it is I REALLY want to be because I'm tired of crap and incompetence. Plus, nothing so far has been a huge red flag. The signs point to improvement and progression. I believe Mullen's past stint here and familiarity with UF have been a big help. He was a winning and championship Gator, can't take that away from him. Gives a certain amount of instant credibility on the trail and even to fans. Let's keep hoping for good things. Winning cures most things.

• ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                  $1,061
                  Ratings:
                  +1,175 / -89
                  Just putting out the actual numbers. But I bet you're right that people don't care about the actual stats. Later man.