Mullen's record.....and his wife rips Gainesville

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
The BCS as it was in the mid 00's was different than what was set up in the 90's. In the early nineties it was the Bowl Coalition ('92-94), then the Bowl Alliance ('95-97), followed by the BCS (98-2014). The BCS also had a different standard of selection. Which is why I specifically said the BCS of Tebow's era.

Well the fact that the same people doing the same thing decided to use 3 different names along the way is of little consequence to me. I guess the NCAA basketball tourney could have been, and maybe was for all I know, given different names as they expanded from 8 teams as it start in 1939 to 16 teams in 1951 to the varying 22 to 25 teams from 1953 to 1975 to 32 teams in 1975 to 40 teams in 1979 to 48 teams in 1980 to 42 team in 1983 to 53 teams in 1984 to 64 teams in 1985 to 65 teams in 2001 to 68 teams in 2011, but it was still the same thing.

Now in college football as you say a 2 team playoff was set up in 1995 and then recently it was expanded to 4 teams. Yes since the NCAA was not the sponsoring institution they had different names each contract, but it was the same tourney though number of invitees did expand once. I bet it expands further in the future unless the left succeeds in destroying football.

So your specificity is irrelevant but of course you can claim it is important to you. To me the interesting question is would UF have made a four team play-off more times than they did make the two team playoff in either during the Spurrier years or the Meyer years, but it is hard to know for sure. I am pretty sure that Wuerffel was the best QB and player in UF history and it is not very close. Heck the second best might have been Wes Chandler or Emmitt Smith in my view. Of course you are free to disagree with those opinions after all they are just my opinion and can not be factually determined.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Well the fact that the same people doing the same thing decided to use 3 different names along the way is of little consequence to me. I guess the NCAA basketball tourney could have been, and maybe was for all I know, given different names as they expanded from 8 teams as it start in 1939 to 16 teams in 1951 to the varying 22 to 25 teams from 1953 to 1975 to 32 teams in 1975 to 40 teams in 1979 to 48 teams in 1980 to 42 team in 1983 to 53 teams in 1984 to 64 teams in 1985 to 65 teams in 2001 to 68 teams in 2011, but it was still the same thing.

Now in college football as you say a 2 team playoff was set up in 1995 and then recently it was expanded to 4 teams. Yes since the NCAA was not the sponsoring institution they had different names each contract, but it was the same tourney though number of invitees did expand once. I bet it expands further in the future unless the left succeeds in destroying football.

So your specificity is irrelevant but of course you can claim it is important to you. To me the interesting question is would UF have made a four team play-off more times than they did make the two team playoff in either during the Spurrier years or the Meyer years, but it is hard to know for sure. I am pretty sure that Wuerffel was the best QB and player in UF history and it is not very close. Heck the second best might have been Wes Chandler or Emmitt Smith in my view. Of course you are free to disagree with those opinions after all they are just my opinion and can not be factually determined.

It is an interesting question and you’ve laid out useful facts for us to ponder. Great memories. Thanks!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.