Muschamp 42

Per 247 sports.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That's fantastic. That means he can indeed be around for a long, long time.

:popcorn:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
ReelGatorDoc;n71734 said:
I like Mullen

You like what Mullen's done THIS year. NO ONE...and I mean NO ONE was saying that 2 years ago. Even their own fans wanted him gone (especially when he lost to Freeze in Freeze's first year)....

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
BMF;n71754 said:
You like what Mullen's done THIS year. NO ONE...and I mean NO ONE was saying that 2 years ago. Even their own fans wanted him gone (especially when he lost to Freeze in Freeze's first year)....

Takes a while to build a program out of nothing in a place like Starkville.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
Captain Sasquatch;n71755 said:
is he buidling or is it suimply cause he found a tebowesque QB finally.what happens when prescott leaves?. will they crumble back to mediocrity?
I personally am not enamored with mullin as a potential champ replacement

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Gator98MD;n71758 said:
is he buidling or is it suimply cause he found a tebowesque QB finally.what happens when prescott leaves?. will they crumble back to mediocrity?
I personally am not enamored with mullin as a potential champ replacement

So you're saying it takes good players to have a good team? I wonder how those good players ended up there? Also, isn't the biggest knock on Muschamp that he has all this talent and can't put it together? Isn't that what Mullen is doing now?

They were AWFUL when he went there. A.W.F.U.L. He built a solid recruiting base and turned that program around in 6 years. Did anyone really think MSU would be ranked #3 in the country at any point of any season when he took over?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Captain Sasquatch;n71762 said:
So you're saying it takes good players to have a good team? I wonder how those good players ended up there? Also, isn't the biggest knock on Muschamp that he has all this talent and can't put it together? Isn't that what Mullen is doing now?

They were AWFUL when he went there. A.W.F.U.L. He built a solid recruiting base and turned that program around in 6 years. Did anyone really think MSU would be ranked #3 in the country at any point of any season when he took over?

You are 100% correct. Coaches don't want to go to Starkville because of how difficult it is to win. What Mullen has done is impressive. And the arguments about having a Tebow-esque QB is also overstated. At one point, we had Tebow and Newton on the same team. If you can find back to back guys like them, I find it hard to believe you couldn't get a quality QB in their mold every 4 years or so. Especially now that the NFL is placing so much emphasis on athletic QBs. His system works, and implementing it at MSU speaks volumes about his ability.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n71765 said:
You are 100% correct. Coaches don't want to go to Starkville because of how difficult it is to win. What Mullen has done is impressive. And the arguments about having a Tebow-esque QB is also overstated. At one point, we had Tebow and Newton on the same team. If you can find back to back guys like them, I find it hard to believe you couldn't get a quality QB in their mold every 4 years or so. Especially now that the NFL is placing so much emphasis on athletic QBs. His system works, and implementing it at MSU speaks volumes about his ability.

:fistbump:

Let's also not forget that he's doing what he's doing in the SEC West. It's not like he went to the ACC and started pushing Wake Forest around.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
So Butch Jones is 46 years old and instructs an 18-20 year old to intentionally cheat at the end of the game so he can try and sell it to the officials?

I think the guy's an upgrade from Dooley, and will probably be decent there. But that is trash. Not sure how you can look at those same players and talk about respect for the game and honesty after that display.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Captain Sasquatch;n71755 said:

Agree. And I was pointing out the fact that he wasn't very popular there as recently as 2 years ago (and last year, until winning the Egg Bowl as the overall record wasn't great). Winning there is hard to do. He was very popular in 2010 (especially after beating Urban's last UF team)....then not so much. It seemed he had missed his window to get out of there and land a better job. He'll be a popular choice this offseason.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Captain Sasquatch;n71768 said:
:fistbump:

Let's also not forget that he's doing what he's doing in the SEC West. It's not like he went to the ACC and started pushing Wake Forest around.

Right. I'm pretty sure that was the job that Strong had no interest in, with a source close to him saying it was almost a set-up job, where you couldn't avoid failing.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
My only concern about Mullen is if he ends up somehow making it to Atlanta or even the playoffs. He needs to lose a couple games so he still has a REALLY good season by MSU standards, but still coming up short to show him that he's hit the ceiling with that program. If he gets to the playoffs somehow, then he won't want to leave them after the best season in school history.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Captain Sasquatch;n71776 said:
My only concern about Mullen is if he ends up somehow making it to Atlanta or even the playoffs. He needs to lose a couple games so he still has a REALLY good season by MSU standards, but still coming up short to show him that he's hit the ceiling with that program. If he gets to the playoffs somehow, then he won't want to leave them after the best season in school history.

He'll drop one or a few, just based on the grind and lack of depth. Just look at the close of the Lsu game. They don't pull starters and coast.

But honestly, if that's the case and he's on our radar, the money and consistent ability to win will be the draw here. They are, in many respects, like Wake Forest a few years back where everything fell into place with experienced players. That will only rotate every 4-5 years there, so if he's going to make a jump, it would be now, imo.

g8trs99

Lifetime Member
Sep 5, 2014
No one wanted Mullen when he was here, and now he has one good season and the is the hot commodity. The season is not even over. Even the sun shines on a dog's arse some days. Heck Muschamp went 11-2. At least Freeze has built someting in 2 years. No one has time for Mullen to wait for his below average QB to become good his senior year.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n71776 said:

He could win the National Championship at MSU this year, and he'd still jump ship to UF if Foley called. MSU is a tough place to maintain success, and to be honest, UF and Gainesville are simply just better places to be. Unless Mullen is a big time deer hunter, I can't think of anything that Starkville or MSU has to offer that is better than Gainesville or UF.

I think Mullen would do well at UF (assuming he can continue to recruit 240 lb QBs), but I'd still take Hugh Freeze over Mullen if it were my choice. Even though Mullen beat him last year and probably will again this year, Freeze has also built up that program out of nothing and did it in less time than Mullen. Freeze grew up an Ole Miss fan, so pursuading him to leave may be tougher, but I think Freeze will have the better career between the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.