Muschamp was a bad hire from the start

Darthgator

Aug 18, 2014
Not sure if I agree with that. It's easy to point to a blanket rule that a college coach of a major program HAS to have HC experience at a smaller school first but there are successful coaches who didn't cut their teeth at a small school first.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law, you liked him from the start, a lot, and was on record as having said so, remember?

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Muschamp was the coach in waiting at Texas, had no prior college head coaching experience, and had a quarterback named Jeff Driskel. Across state, Jimbo Fisher was the coach in waiting at Florida State, had no prior college head coaching experience, and had a quarterback named Jameis Winston. Go figure.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
The Original DC;n109843 said:
Law, you liked him from the start, a lot, and was on record as having said so, remember?

So did I and I still do...glad he is gone though...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The Original DC;n109843 said:

DC, I didn't say I agreed with it. I just posted a link.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It just isn't a good idea for a SEC team to hire first time head coaches. It is so competitive that there is very little leeway to make mistakes. Every coach will make mistakes but it usually takes experience to know how to minimize them.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I wasn't a fan and made it clear at various points throughout 2011. With that said, I also don't think, based on his resume and demand at the time, that he was a bad hire. That's purely hindsight and ridiculous.

I just didn't like what I saw and heard. But I could just as easily have been wrong, and wish I was.

88drgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
When I said it was a dumb hire on Day 1, Law told me to shoot myself in the face or something like that. The irony is bitter-sweet:scratchchin:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Are you sure it wasn't drink bleach?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
88drgator;n109915 said:
When I said it was a dumb hire on Day 1, Law told me to shoot myself in the face or something like that. The irony is bitter-sweet:scratchchin:

Sorry, that's not the Law I know. He likely calmly and politely refuted your argument with facts and subtle persuasion.

Oh, btw, your new name is 88drdufuspants. Thought you should know.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n109908 said:
I just didn't like what I saw and heard. But I could just as easily have been wrong, and wish I was.

Mehhh, he said the right things. "Multiple offense" that is "balanced" and all that. He was either lying or has no idea what the words meant.... however, he said the right things (and I'm sure he said the right things to Fooley).

He produced a good defense. All he had to do was stay out of the offense. By 2012, it was clear he had no intention of doing that.

BTW I'm still not sold on "HC experience" as being a big factor. There are plenty of OCs Id rather have over some dud HC who's perhaps managed to have a good year here or there.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The biggest black mark against him when he was hired was the lack of HC experience. Other than that, the pro-style offense was the big trend at that point in time because of what Alabama was doing to everyone with it, he was known as a strict disciplinarian (which we desperately needed), he was an elite DC (which also, at the time, the prevailing trend was hiring defensive-minded coaches), and other than the bad final season at Texas, he had won everywhere he'd been. The fact that he didn't have HC experience made him a risky pick, but other than that, he was always very well thought of as a coach.

But who am I kidding, nobody's going to think rationally about how things were four years ago. Waste of my key strokes.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I never liked the hire. I wanted an offensive minded guy. We always had good defenses under Spurrier, Zook, and Meyer. I wasn't worried about the defense. The defensive minded guys are a dime a dozen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.