My first impressions

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
First Impressions:

1. The defense was much better but not great...not by a longshot. Tennessee failed to take advantage of several opportunities we gave them. Pass rush has to get better. Organization and communication has to improve.

2. Driskel got NO help from D. Rob. Embarrassingly poor performance. We have nobody we can count on to catch the ball consistently. Jake McGee could have been that guy. I can't believe NOBODY has stepped up. Surely we must have at least one pair of great hands somewhere on this team. A QB has to have somebody he trusts who is consistently on the same page as him. Think Shane Matthews-Willie Jackson, Danny Wueurffel-Chris Doering, Rex Grossman-Jabbar Gaffney, Chris Leak-Ben Troupe. "That guy" is the difference between an offense that can sustain drives and an offense that can't. We need to find that guy.

3. Saw consistent blitz/stunt pick-ups for the first time in a long time. O-line and especially Matt Jones and Clay Burton were in position better than I have seen them in the past. It's one thing to be in the right place and get beat (I'm looking at you, D. J. Humphries, getting run over by a true freshman) but it's another to be entirely out of position. We did a much better job of identifying rushers and getting in position than we have been. Dunno who gets the credit here, Roper, Mike Summers, or the players, but it was an area of improvement.

4. Treon didn't exactly light it up through the air, but he gave the team a new energy and confidence that was sorely lacking. He looked confident and decisive. Freshmen often do until adversity smacks them in the mouth. Driskel's confidence is shattered. I pointed that out after the Kentucky game. He's scared. All that preseason talk about his confidence was just that--talk. You know that feeling in the pit of your stomach every time Driskel drops back to pass? Well, he's got the same feeling as you in the pit of his stomach--dread. That's bad. QB can't play scared. Question is, will Treon maintain his confidence or will adversity overwhelm him? Only one was to find out.

5. No Adam Lane sightings? Have to assume he's told the staff he wants to transfer. They can't call it a medical redshirt without an injury. Shame. I really wanted to see him in game action. Maybe he's got a half season suspension and they're lying to cover it up? Regardless, disappointed we haven't seen him. I like Matt Jones but he's shown a propensity to put the ball on the ground. As John Heisman once said "Better to have died as a small boy, than to fumble this football." Not much running success from Taylor. I expected a lot more from him this season. Hard to judge when the defense is stacked to stop the run though. Maybe a QB change will force defenses to play us a little more fairly.

6. Kick and Punt return teams need to be better coached. The double block-in-the-back penalties on the TD return were terrible. Debose is an elite returner. A couple of times he took too long waiting for his blocks to develop instead of just turning on the jets. We've established that he can't catch but I still don't know why we haven't seen Debose on an end around or jet sweep (or even a fake).

7. Winning. The sun seems to shine brighter. The air feels fresher. Food tastes better. Your wife is hotter. Life is better when you win. We won. Let's do it again next week. I like this feeling a lot more than the other feeling.

Alex.

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
1) The defense was great today. TN got a TD against OU and they put up a ton of offense against UGA. As much as we hate on this coaching staff they actually made changes in the secondary and cleaned up a lot of the issues. Tabor was a beast today.

2) DRob was unbelievably bad today. With that said, Driskel was by far the worst player on the field today. I really wonder how much losing Mcgee has hurt this offense this year. The TE is the focal point of Roper's offense and Burton nor Westbrook are going to be "that guy." Mcgee wouldn't have fixed JD's struggles, but I do wonder how much losing him has hurt Roper's plans.

3) I was very impressed with the o-line today. That's the best they've played since 2012.

4) I think Treon will be fine. Muschamp and several players said after the game that he is very cool and calm. I think he'll be fine. He's going to make freshman mistakes, but I don't see him melting down.

5) We barely see Taylor and don't see Brown at all. Hopefully Lane won't transfer but this coaching staff is really high on Jones and his bruising style. Jones isn't going to break huge runs, but he's been the best player on offense for us so far this year. I think Taylor is missing snaps because he's not good in pass protection.

6) Yeah special teams need to get cleaned up.

7) Winning is good no matter what right now.

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Defense was awesome. Jake McGee loss hurt. PLAN FOR THE FUTURE AND START TREON NOW. Imagine how good he will next year and as a junior.

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
Don't think I'd give Tim Davis credit for the improved O-Line play.
Ah, nice to see you've edited the original Post

Turk182

Founding Member
Just don't care anymore
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n69522 said:
We are talking about Tennessee. Yes it is better than a loss, but we always beat them.

You are relentlessly negative and boring. Please find something else to do with your spare time other than posting.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Swamped Gator;n69513 said:
1) The defense was great today. TN got a TD against OU and they put up a ton of offense against UGA. As much as we hate on this coaching staff they actually made changes in the secondary and cleaned up a lot of the issues. Tabor was a beast today.

Officials let the secondaries play physical. That favored our style and that helped us. I'm not saying the calls went our way, the calls (or more accurately, no-calls) went both ways. They were consistent. Still, that type of game plays to our style.

I don't know how a different crew that called it tighter might have made a difference.

Also, they had some drops, some slips, and some mental mistakes that helped us.

Alex.

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Games take on a life of their own...this one included. Today was the most important game of the season. And next week will be the most important game of the season.

Driskel does not have command of the team...and the team is not thrilled to play for him. Drops are drops...they do hurt...but when you are playing for your leader, drops are less frequent. Over throws and poor decisions by the QB are on the QB, not your teammates. We need the QB in the game that the team will play their hardest for...and that is Harris.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Some of those drops are from Driskel having no touch on his throws. Throws high and too hard way too much.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n69551 said:
Some of those drops are from Driskel having no touch on his throws. Throws high and too hard way too much.

He is absolutely terrible. There was a play in the 2nd qtr, I think, where he threw the ball to the TE, who was about 2 yards away from him, and he threw it behind him.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Swamped Gator;n69513 said:

2) DRob was unbelievably bad today. With that said, Driskel was by far the worst player on the field today. I really wonder how much losing Mcgee has hurt this offense this year. The TE is the focal point of Roper's offense and Burton nor Westbrook are going to be "that guy." Mcgee wouldn't have fixed JD's struggles, but I do wonder how much losing him has hurt Roper's plans.

3) I was very impressed with the o-line today. That's the best they've played since 2012.

4) I think Treon will be fine. Muschamp and several players said after the game that he is very cool and calm. I think he'll be fine. He's going to make freshman mistakes, but I don't see him melting down.

5) We barely see Taylor and don't see Brown at all. Hopefully Lane won't transfer but this coaching staff is really high on Jones and his bruising style. Jones isn't going to break huge runs, but he's been the best player on offense for us so far this year. I think Taylor is missing snaps because he's not good in pass protection.

6) Yeah special teams need to get cleaned up.

7) Winning is good no matter what right now.

Good points in Reply.

The formula was very simple as I stated earlier in the week. Control both lines of scrimmage, get the defensive mistakes from Bama fixed, and out rush them would be the key for victory. Played out perfectly. Impressed with the D. UT put up points on OU and we did not allow a TD in their place, huge. I've stated from the git go that Driskel limits what Roper wants to do. Sure Roper's scheme fits Driskel but simply JD is unable to deliver the success leading a team. Evident now more than ever. WM has not earned anything back from me. I will continue to support but he's far, far from the good graces IMO. Get home, get ready for LSU then we'll see. This is a great win.

G

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dear Board,
Rather than start another thread, I see the KY and Tenn wins as rather similar. Let us ask ourselves, how does this play out against LSU, SC, Mizzou, Ga, and FSU?
Do I make a false claim that they are better than Tenn or KY? I say the new QB gives us a small chance in these games, I don t want to think of the rest of the season with JD under center.
Enjoy Sunday morning, I will in Augsburg,
Bayern Gator

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
William Donald Garrett;n69565 said:
Dear Board,
Rather than start another thread, I see the KY and Tenn wins as rather similar. Let us ask ourselves, how does this play out against LSU, SC, Mizzou, Ga, and FSU?
Do I make a false claim that they are better than Tenn or KY? I say the new QB gives us a small chance in these games, I don t want to think of the rest of the season with JD under center.
Enjoy Sunday morning, I will in Augsburg,
Bayern Gator

If that secondary is cleaned up and Harris is starting I think we have a good chance to go 3-2 in those 5 games now.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n69534 said:
Believe it or not, I am happy about this win.

Not. I don't believe it.

I am a positive person, but I am not part of a cult.

No you're not. Yes you are. The misery and dredge cult. It has understandably picked up quite the following recently. Unfortunately it makes one incapable of simply enjoying a win, if only for a day. This cult really has quite a draw and is hard as hell to break free from.

I am a realist about things.

You are really negative. I'll give you that. All of those observations for you to comment on and you just regurgitate the exact same :kiffin: you've been saying on every single thread since the game ended.

Lighten up and enjoy the win for a weekend. It doesn't mean you have to like JD or Muschamp. I don't.

Turk182

Founding Member
Just don't care anymore
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n69534 said:
You are relentlessly pumping Muschamp. Win or lose. And this from someone posting at 12:28 EST. Believe it or not, I am happy about this win. But it does nothing to change my opinion about Muschamp. We have been begging him to put Treon in since EMU. Now that he does after not scoring for 3 quarters, you act like he is the man, after beating Tennessee, who we usually circle at the beginning of the season as a win. Don't lower you standards Expect better than mediocrity. I am a positive person, but I am not part of a cult. I am a realist about things. Now if we beat someone important, then I will change my opinion. But beating KY and TN is what is expected.

You wear the title "Idiot" well. Keep up the good work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.