My Kingdom for a 4

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Clearly the key issue facing UF basketball this season is the lack of a 4 or the unwillingness of White to play a 4. I will admit his options are not great right now. He can:

1. play Koulechov at the 4 and three guards. This makes UF woefully undersized. In some ways this wastes Koulechov's rebounding and hurts his offense because of the amount of size he has to deal with. This is the option White has taken much of this year.

2. play Stone at the 4, Koulechov at the 3 and go with two guards. Stone is really a 3 too, but at least he has decent size for the 4 at 6'8" tall. He has not shown to be a great rebounder, but this shifts Koulechov to the 3 where he can use his rebounding skill more effectively.

3. maybe after Egbunu is playing White can play Hayes at the 4. The Stone can back up the 3 and the 4 and UF has good size and skill. Egbunu was a shell of himself offensively last year after the two years ago thumb injury. Who knows what UF will get from him after the knee surgery. Hayes also has a bit of a face up game as we have seen this year. He has made a couple of 5 to 10 feet jumpers facing the basket. UF played Horford and Noah together and there is no reason in principle that Egbunu and Hayes surrounded by scoring threats at the other positions couldn't play together.

This also begs the question of why the announcers were talking about Johnson redshirting last game. Sure he might be a 3 in the mold of Stone, but Johnson have the size to help out at the 4. Seemingly Bassett has not developed. Bassett would even as a 10 minute a game guy would be valuable at the 4.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think C.Johnson has the natural athleticism to develop into somebody like David Lee was. But will take lots of playing time White cannot afford him? But maybe he'll develop a lot easier. I never heard what Johnson's "illness" was? What's keeping him off the court? Concussion protocol? Vertigo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.