My take on UF and Mullen after 8 games

Zodiac

Jul 19, 2016
We're lucky to have Mullen but they still have a long way to go before they have a roster deep and talented enough to win this conference. A quick turnaround isn't likely this time. Trashcan Clans Alabama and Georgia are firmly established at the top in recruiting for now.

Mullen gives us credibility to be an elite program once again. Now we are in position to chisel away and weaken Alabama and Georgia, when before Mullen, we weren't.

This turnaround will be a grind. But I'm confident in the future. Finally we have a coach with the passion and intelligence capable of getting the job done. Gone are the days of being delusional and announcing fake death threats. Thank God.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Let's see:

1. As I said in the off season, If UF does not win 10 game against this schedule, UF hired the wrong guy again and even if UF wins 10 games against this schedule it does not mean that UF did hired the right guy.

2. A UK WR plays to or maybe even past the whistle during a non-descript play in the second game of the season and UF's best CB is done for the season. The injury that was not commented upon that much in the aftermath of losing that game causes a chain reaction putting guys like Dean and McWilliams covering better receivers. Take away that injury and UF might have won another game or even both losses this season.

3. Those points made on to the Saturday game and where UF is now:

A. Those of you who talk about a talent disparity make the rest of us wonder if you in fact only follow recruiting and failed to watch the game Saturday. UF was every bit as talented at UGa on the field on Saturday.

B. UF lost this game on some ugly turnovers and bad secondary play.

C. Certainly the coaching staff did not have two bad fumbles and a bad interception, but they put the ball in Frank's hands six or so yards deep in the endzone for some unknown reason. That is coaching.

D. UF's defensive coaching staff was not on the field for all the 3rd down conversions, but given the nickname of the defensive coordinator, it is disquieting that UF kept letting UGa convert on 3rd and 4th down and allowed UGa to march the length of the field in 50 seconds before halftime. BTW, you get such a nickname in these games, the big games, not the little games on the schedule.

E. This year could be a step forward or it could be like McElwain's first year but without playing in the SEC title game. McElwain won 10 games that year and many were excited and thought surely he will develop a QB and offense while at UF. Many are excited this year and believe surely Mullen will develop and QB and offense at UF. UF's offense is currently ranked in the mid 70s. If UF is able to maintain or improve on that number, then I think everyone will see this season as a possible stepping stone year. If UF slides back towards 90 or the dreaded triple figures in offensive rank, then I think all the worries of the past creep back in with the fan base.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Let's see:

A. Those of you who talk about a talent disparity make the rest of us wonder if you in fact only follow recruiting and failed to watch the game Saturday. UF was every bit as talented at UGa on the field on Saturday.

B. UF lost this game on some ugly turnovers and bad secondary play.

:jerkstore:

Did you ever stop to consider that the bad secondary play was due to poor talent?

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Did you ever stop to consider that the bad secondary play was due to poor talent?

Did you ever stop to read my post and consider why a preseason strength is a problem now. Certainly given UF's best CB was injured at the beginning of the season, the "nickname" of UF's DC and that I actually watch the games, I am perfectly happy with my thought and statements on the issue of the relative talent of UF and UGa.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
:jerkstore:

Lack of depth. If that is lack of talent then yes.

But to have 2 corners out and 2 DB suspended then it shows

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I like Chicken Fried Steak, mashed potatoes and gravy.......

shutterstock_638228848.jpg

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
We're lucky to have Mullen but they still have a long way to go before they have a roster deep and talented enough to win this conference. A quick turnaround isn't likely this time. Trashcan Clans Alabama and Georgia are firmly established at the top in recruiting for now.

Mullen gives us credibility to be an elite program once again. Now we are in position to chisel away and weaken Alabama and Georgia, when before Mullen, we weren't.

This turnaround will be a grind. But I'm confident in the future. Finally we have a coach with the passion and intelligence capable of getting the job done. Gone are the days of being delusional and announcing fake death threats. Thank God.

You should post more often. As a resident negator, I'm still in "wait and see" mode. Eight games into the first season seems premature to declare any of the above. And while I truly think it's ok to feel how you do...we've all been burned before and in fact, your post could be a carbon copy of posts during the last two regimes. I won't begrudge you your sentiments but I need to see more from Dan.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Did you ever stop to read my post and consider why a preseason strength is a problem now. Certainly given UF's best CB was injured at the beginning of the season, the "nickname" of UF's DC and that I actually watch the games, I am perfectly happy with my thought and statements on the iss
Lack of depth. If that is lack of talent then yes.

But to have 2 corners out and 2 DB suspended then it shows

Well if you lack depth at a position, then more often than not that means you also lack talent. Yes losing our two starting corners hurt, but we also don't have talent back there to replace them. There's a reason why many of us here we're disappointed in Butters's 2016 recruiting class. Cause we knew his three star projects weren't good enough to provide quality depth on that side of the ball.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I've never seen so many positive threads after losing to a rival. Even I appreciate the job Mullen is doing but lets pump the breaks. The schedule isn't nearly as tough as it looked in August and he isn't scoring on decent teams. Lots of room for improvement. Yes, we seem to be moving in the right direction. But there's a ways to go. We absolutely have to beat FSU.
I almost want us to lose to the Semis to see how bad you melt down. :lol:

Almost.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I almost want us to lose to the Semis to see how bad you melt down. :lol:

Almost.
Not gonna happen...if it does we're talking one for the ages. Hiroshima is a sparkler compared to my meltdown.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014

Up until today I only THOUGHT you were an idiot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.