Myth of Keeping Mac for Recruiting

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Will admit this is stolen from a poster on 247 but he makes a good point about the myth of keeping Mac for this class by using a comparison of blue chip recruits by year

"The below are how many guys we signed that are in the 24/7 top 150. To me, those are the blue chips or top tier guys. I did not count juco’s (of which the vast majority never pan out to the ranking-the ones that do are gone in a yr anyway). While this is a snapshot and many top flight guys bust and some 3 stars become studs I believe you can see a trend and draw come conclusions.

2003-11
Chris Leak class and Zook delivers big on NSD…and this class helps the Meyer ERA w a title.

2004-8
This class didn’t pan out as well

2005-2
Transition class that was an all-time dud but did produce 2 future NFL wide receivers (Louis Murphy, David Nelson)

2006-16
And Meyer is off and running and these guys did pan out. Perhaps the best class in UF history

2007-14
And the Pouncey Twins..both of them…are not part of the top 150 lol. Another top class.

2008-9
Not up to previous Meyer standards and this class was a disappointment.

2009-7
Solid but not the class we expected from Meyer Jordan Reed not in top 150-class did produce 8 draft picks

2010-17
Meyer quit for one day, came back and closed with a monster haul. To those that think we need a great staff for recruiting results…this class was all Meyer. It didn’t pan out as expected of course but was the nucleus for the big 12 season under Champ.

2011-7
Transition class that blew up quickly (AC Leonard Blakely) and left Champ with a qb controversy (Driskel/Brissett)

2012-9
Champs fist class and the defensive studs started coming with mixed results on the other side

2013-10
Another top notch defensive haul with Jarad Davis, Ivie and Jordan Sherrit not in top 150; combine that w VH3, Caleb, Neal ,Anazalone and Marcel H...wow.... Not much on offense.

2014-7
Not a bad effort coming off 4 and 8; more Champ gems on defense to be found outside top 150 (Duke Dawson, Quincy, Tavean,). The work on the recruiting trail on defense led to the SEC East titles in 15 and 16 but champ’s brand was toxic on the other side although…this class is Will Grier.

2015-3
Transition class. Looks like Ivey and CeCe haven’t panned out as 5 stars but both should return next yr. I would call Callaway a steal but he has been in too much trouble. The rest of the class minus Zuniga have not stepped up as needed making this class a disappointment.

2016-5
Mac’s first class does not deliver as expected. Our 10th rated prospect is at 414. Looks like J.Polite (751), Perine (501) and Heggie (556) are panning out really well so this class should turn out ok…just not spectacular.

2017-5
Just 5 guys and one (James Robinson) was a signing day flyer… Toney (177) and Malik (190) are studs but I felt this class got more hype than it should because we closed well (Lemmons and Robinson) and was a disappointing class.

2018-4
UF has 4 top 150 guys committed (Corral, Copeland, Chase and Burney). Let’s take Chase out since he seems to be very shaky. That leaves 3 with the rest of the realistic board as Chase, Barnes, Gouriage and Nick Petit F.

Give me 2 of that group and we will get 5 guys which sounds about right. Unlike others, I don’t see where UF is having this big class. We have a stud qb which helped us secure Copeland and Pearce and Chase but outside of that and the three big o-lineman from Orlando/Tampa there isn’t much of a board here. Corral is an EE and our depth chart is a big reason why UF is enticing for him. In other words, I think he sticks even if we made a change (much like Driskel did when Meyer left as he was an EE).

On Mac’s future, whatever opinion you have the signing day class of 2018 is not a big reason to keep him; in fact this class is ideal to make a change if you think Corral sticks and we retain Brad Davis."

MotownGator

Legacy member
BANNED
Jul 19, 2014
:haters:
tumblr_ootoq83Dnr1s5nbv0o1_1280.png

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Can his azz now, gives SOS's (the interim coach) brand of offense appeal and maybe Kelly (can a man dream) signs and we get a solid haul of blue chippers, on both sides of the line, both sides! ( definitely need depth and quality at LB and DT)

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah ... don't want to mess up recruiting by replacing Mac, like UGa did replacing Richt with Smart - so dumb.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Listening to PF today while rebuilding a carb, one caller talking about TN and how they need to fire the AD and then Butch, but that a new coach will fix the problem. He then goes off saying that Florida is in worse shape with an out of control program and players, even predating Mac. Said Stricland and Mac should have a press conference and apologize to the Gator Nation. I was laughing my arse off while thinking, cause...?

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah recruiting... because Mac & Co have coached up and coordinated the play makers we already have on the team so well <in system 2-3yrs>. You Mac swingers must really like punishment. We probably have seen the ceiling of Macs administrative and leadership potential. He doesn't have the black book list of coaches like M3. You would think the flagship would want all the limelight by killing it in academics and the football media event cash cow. It's difficult decision making to be sure, pissing dollars everywhere but my bank account. Cut your losses mentality makes me biased.
:deadhorse:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
What's crazy is Butch has a higher ranked class than Mac right now.

You don't keep a coach to keep a class unless it's the number one class by far and you have a target the following year.

Good coaching can outscheme better talent. Mac never won dick at CSU and had an NFL team at his disposal at Bammer.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014

You don't keep a coach to keep a class unless it's the number one class by far and you have a target the following year.

Good coaching can outscheme better talent. Mac never won dick at CSU and had an NFL team at his disposal at Bammer.

Completely agree. I pointed out in another thread that the large majority of the guys who play the most downs are all Butter's recruits. And they look poorly coached. so for arguments sake, say Butters leaves and the class falls apart. Well I think there is enough talent remaining, that a good coach could come in, win enough games and show that he knows what he is doing, that the following class would fall right back in line. We have enough underclassmen who will not be draft eligible, that a good coach could compete with in the SEC Least. And that takes into account Ivey, Jefferson, leaving early as well as some attrition.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

You don't keep a coach to keep a class unless it's the number one class by far and you have a target the following year.....

had an NFL team at his disposal at Bammer.

... and lastly he's prepared the Florida Gators for disposal.

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
Also, it should be noted that ANY coach at Florida should be able to land a top 5 class MINIMUM. UF recruits itself, it shouldnt be hard to get elite players here EVER. We are the flagship university in the best state for recruiting. GATORADE was created here for pete's sake. We are in the SEC and have one of the most unique and recognizable brands.

Spurrier landed elite talent so did Zook, so did meyer so did muschamp. Its all coaching.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
Fire Mac and name SOS as interim and watch what happens to the class. So don't give me the BS that we need to retain him for the recruiting class, that's total crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.