Naismith Coach of the Year Semifinalist

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Congratulations are in order -- now go win the rest of our games with masterful coaching to put pressure on that selection committee.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Quite the company coach White is mentioned with. We got a good one.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Crazy he's getting all these accolades, according to some he doesn't even understand the basics of attacking a zone defense :rolleyes:

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Well deserved. Congrats Mike White!

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Congrats to Coach White!
Having a great year with a veteran heavy, experienced team. I like Coach White, but next year is the year that will be a challenge, coaching-wise, as we're losing 4 seniors, and likely DRob and Egbunu's out. If we lose DRob, we're going to be pretty young next year, with Chorizo being our only senior. I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out and how White's teams will look going forward. White really likes long/tall PGs, unlike Billy who seemed to prefer the smaller PGs (Williams, Dupay, Roberson, Nelson, Shannon, Green, Walker, Hill, Chiozza (Calathes was the only one over 6'1" that I can remember (Orien Greene maybe?).

Last edited:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Congrats to Coach White!
Having a great year with a veteran heavy, experienced team. I like Coach White, but next year is the year that will be a challenge, coaching-wise, as we're losing 4 seniors, and likely DRob and Egbunu's out. If we lose DRob, we're going to be pretty young next year, with Chorizo being our only senior. I'm looking forward to seeing it plays out and how White's teams will look going forward. White really likes long/tall PGs, unlike Billy who seemed to prefer the smaller PGs (Williams, Dupay, Roberson, Nelson, Shannon, Green, Walker, Hill, Chiozza (Calathes was the only one over 6'1" that I can remember (Orien Greene maybe?).

I think Greene was a shooting guard, no? Donovan loved the little guys. Maybe because he was little?

I was standing next to Donovan at a UF game. I'm not particularly tall. I'm 6'3. But Donovan was really small. He was in shorts and had massive calves though. You know who else was built similar to that? Travis McGriff. Relatively short but giant calves.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I think Greene was a shooting guard, no? Donovan loved the little guys. Maybe because he was little?

I was standing next to Donovan at a UF game. I'm not particularly tall. I'm 6'3. But Donovan was really small. He was in shorts and had massive cavs though. You know who else was built similar to that? URG, minus the massive calves.

FIFY

PhD Gator

UF Ph.D. 2011
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Excellent news! Things like this have to go a long way in his ability to recruit top notch talent. As someone who is relatively new to the big time level of college coaching, confirmation of his ability like this is a very positive thing for the future of our program.

Congrats Coach White!

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

I was standing next to Donovan at a UF game. I'm not particularly tall. I'm 6'3. But Donovan was really small. He was in shorts and had massive calves though. You know who else was built similar to that? Travis McGriff. Relatively short but giant calves.
From Wiki RE-Greene:
A highly touted prospect coming out of high school, the 6'4" (1.93 m) point guard originally chose to attend the University of Florida, his hometown college.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I still think we should fire him and hire Fire Foley as our new basketball coach. While we're at it, hire Swamp Ass as the new football coach.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Nice job Coach White. Doubt he wins but nice anyway.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Some of those coaches should be eliminated because the school they coach at allow them to coach on cruise control (Kansas, loovlle, az, maybe more).

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Some of those coaches should be eliminated because the school they coach at allow them to coach on cruise control (Kansas, loovlle, az, maybe more).

Dude Self just won 13th straight big 12 title...

Let's think about that for a second...that hasn't been done since the Wooden era. Big 12 is no slouch conference so no it's not cruise control.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Coach White has plenty of work to do the unrest of the season. Does he bring Stone into a solid contributor? Stone had eight points in 9 minutes last game. He hit 3/4 in FGs, 2-2 FTs. How about uncovering Hester as a top 3-pt hitter. So far he's shooting over 50%. Then there's Gak as an inside player.? If those roles can hit somewhat consistently, then White would be an award-worthy coach because we would make it to or close to the elite 8.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Very well deserved. Who's the favorite ? Collins?

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Very well deserved. Who's the favorite ? Collins?
I'm not sold on the Big10ish this year and NWestern's only 10-7 right now in coference. Doesn't scream COY and they're really only a couple of games better this year than last. Collins has been there 4 years now and he's righting the ship, but it's the hype about them vying for a bid to the Dance that's got him on the list.
Arizona has been a surprise team, but the Pac12 is crap, so they've had a relatively easy road. Miller would be a popular pick though.
Huggins would also be a popular pick - he'd get the sympathy vote because one day this game is gonna kill that fat guy.
SMUs putting together a good year - I know nothing about them or their coach.
To finsish, I can root for him to win, but I can't pick White because this current team has enough talent and experience to be exactly where they're at. I don't know when they actually vote for COY, but if White can get us into the Elite 8 (without Egbunu), then I think he should be strongly considered.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not sold on the Big10ish this year and NWestern's only 10-7 right now in coference. Doesn't scream COY and they're really only a couple of games better this year than last. Collins has been there 4 years now and he's righting the ship, but it's the hype about them vying for a bid to the Dance that's got him on the list.
Arizona has been a surprise team, but the Pac12 is crap, so they've had a relatively easy road. Miller would be a popular pick though.
Huggins would also be a popular pick - he'd get the sympathy vote because one day this game is gonna kill that fat guy.
SMUs putting together a good year - I know nothing about them or their coach.
To finsish, I can root for him to win, but I can't pick White because this current team has enough talent and experience to be exactly where they're at. I don't know when they actually vote for COY, but if White can get us into the Elite 8 (without Egbunu), then I think he should be strongly considered.
I was thinking collins might have a shot because its the first time in school history they'll make the tourney. That's the only really special thing i see on the list.But like you, I don't know much about the others. I'm biased towards white but I hope he gets a good look. We started the year unranked and have pretty dominated our conference and put a beatdown on Kentucky. I wouldn't sleep on white if you look at where we started the year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb