NBA Draft

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I usually don't put a lot of focus on the NBA and especially the draft because I really don't like the style of basketball that is played in the league outside of a couple teams (ex. Spurs).

This year I am more interested now that Billy is HC.

1. I saw an ESPN mock draft today that had both Walker and Frazier going in the second round. It had Walker going to the Mavericks as a "swing for the fences" pick that they stated was probably a strike out. It had Frazier going to the Spurs. I think Frazier could be a great fit for the Spurs because of the type of basketball they play. Less one on one and move movement and organized offense that can get the ball to a shooter in open spots vs. him having to create his own shot. I think Walker is a failure anywhere he goes and would be shocked if anybody drafted him.

2. I don't expect Oklahoma City to draft either of these guys and I think that says a lot about how ready both of them are for the NBA. When your former college coach won't take you... you may have made the wrong choice.

I am very intersted to see who Oklahoma City takes because it could speak to Billy's confidence in keeping Durant/Westbrook.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Towns then okahfor then russel will be the top picks. There's going to be 2 or 3 teams draft some European guys in the lottery that never amount to anything.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The NBA draft is a curious talent pool for sure. In general, if you're not a Top 5 talent, you're more than likely not a game changer. That can't be said for any other sport. Sure, there are busts at the top because people fall in love with potential, but rarely does anybody outside the Top 5 become a superstar. And the chances of anybody outside the top 15 being a franchise type player is pretty negligible.

OKC won't do it, but I'd trade Westbrook to one of the top 3 along with next year's #1 and get Towns or Okafor. Then I'd draft a PG or pick one up in FA.

Then you'd have 2 bonafide 7 footers.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n238699 said:
The NBA draft is a curious talent pool for sure. In general, if you're not a Top 5 talent, you're more than likely not a game changer. That can't be said for any other sport. Sure, there are busts at the top because people fall in love with potential, but rarely does anybody outside the Top 5 become a superstar. And the chances of anybody outside the top 15 being a franchise type player is pretty negligible.

OKC won't do it, but I'd trade Westbrook to one of the top 3 along with next year's #1 and get Towns or Okafor. Then I'd draft a PG or pick one up in FA.

Then you'd have 2 bonafide 7 footers.

Why go big when Golden State just showed you can win the championship by playing small ball?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;238701 said:
Why go big when Golden State just showed you can win the championship by playing small ball?

They're an aberration. They're depth is on par with Celtics and Lakers teams of the 80s and they still struggled in the playoffs even though every team they faced had their starting PG out for the series.

OKC will be a Finals contender with 7 footer Durant back next year. The Pelicans will be with 7 footer Davis as well.

The Bulls wouldn't have even made the playoffs without 7 footer Noah.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n238711 said:
They're an aberration. They're depth is on par with Celtics and Lakers teams of the 80s and they still struggled in the playoffs even though every team they faced had their starting PG out for the series.

OKC will be a Finals contender with 7 footer Durant back next year. The Pelicans will be with 7 footer Davis as well.

The Bulls wouldn't have even made the playoffs without 7 footer Noah.

Durant doesn't play like a 7 footer, he is a shooter. Davis is also playing more away from the post than a usual 7 footer. If the non-7 footer Butler hadn't stepped up his game, the Bulls wouldn't have even made the playoffs. Outside of the Spurs, what other team is winning championships with 7 footers in the past 5 years?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Okc has 2 pretty good 7 footers already. They need to probably add another guard with the pick they already have. They have quite a few good young players . if they can hang onto Westbrook and durant they can have a spurs like franchise

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
There aren't many 7 footers in the league right now, but you can definitely win with one if you have the right guy and run your offense through them the right way. The key to the NBA is not having a 7 footer though... it is having a play maker. Curry, Parker/Ginobli/Leonard/, Lebron/Wade, Dirk, etc...

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
After towns I'd take deangelo Russel, he's the next franchise player.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;238716 said:
There aren't many 7 footers in the league right now, but you can definitely win with one if you have the right guy and run your offense through them the right way. The key to the NBA is not having a 7 footer though... it is having a play maker. Curry, Parker/Ginobli/Leonard/, Lebron/Wade, Dirk, etc...

Yep. A 7 footer in the mold if a Kendrick Perkins isn't going to work. It's hard to find athletic big men that can shoot. But when you do, lock them down.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;238714 said:
Durant doesn't play like a 7 footer, he is a shooter. Davis is also playing more away from the post than a usual 7 footer. If the non-7 footer Butler hadn't stepped up his game, the Bulls wouldn't have even made the playoffs. Outside of the Spurs, what other team is winning championships with 7 footers in the past 5 years?

Dirk Nowitski and Chris Bosh

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;238752 said:
Again, guys who are away from the paint.

Again 7 footers. When did I ever say any post above that they had to be traditional 1980s seven footers?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
In fact, in my very first statement I used Kevin Durant as an example.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n238753 said:
Again 7 footers. When did I ever say any post above that they had to be traditional 1980s seven footers?

When you suggested they trade Westbrook so they could pick up Towns or Okafor. Both those guys play in the paint, not away from it.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n238756 said:
When you suggested they trade Westbrook so they could pick up Towns or Okafor. Both those guys play in the paint, not away from it.

Okafor is more of an inside post player than Towns. But an elite one. Maybe the best 7 foot post player in a decade. Both are defensive superstars which is why you draft them. With Towns and Ibaka shutting down the paint, teams would be forced to shoot jumpers an entire game.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
There's a reason that Towns and Okafor are #1 and #2.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If I was a team that needs an offensive post presence I'm going with Okafor. But if I need an elite defensive post presence and a big that can stretch the floor then I'm going with Towns.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I disagree with the notion , you can't win with a traditional post player. Plenty of teams still do. Golden state may have had the easiest draw ever. The clippers had chris Paul banged up so the rockets took them out. The grizzlys lost both of their starting guards after they had the warriors down 2-1. They only went to that small ball line-up after game 3 or 4. Like j says there's a reason two 7 footers going 1 and 2. The whole no need for a post player is getting blown out of proportion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.