NBA Draft

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Durty South Swamp;n240888 said:
At some point, shouldnt it be about getting a college degree and setting yourself up to be productive in society? Paint me old fashioned but Im still of the opinion that college is for scholastic education, not sports development.
He can always go back and get it after he spends about 10 years over seas making a very good living playing basketball. But hes in a business that the older you are, the less value you have. I understand where you're coming from but the basketball program graduates quite a bit of it's players. I think we can let good egg like frazier have a pass.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The NBA is to blame for it. The 1 year college rule is dumb. If you go to college it should be a wait of 3 years. There should be no other college mandate.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n240895 said:
The NBA is to blame for it. The 1 year college rule is dumb. If you go to college it should be a wait of 3 years. There should be no other college mandate.
Kids would be running to Europe and the nbdl. It could really waterdown college basketball. I don't like the one and done rule either.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;240921 said:
Kids would be running to Europe and the nbdl. It could really waterdown college basketball. I don't like the one and done rule either.

Well of course. The kids should be able to do that. That's probably what the lottery picks would do. But the sport would have better fundamentals on both levels

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n240937 said:
Well of course. The kids should be able to do that. That's probably what the lottery picks would do. But the sport would have better fundamentals on both levels
Why would you want college basketball to suck?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I've got the problem to the solution. Raise the age limit for a player coming out of college to 21 and raise the age limit coming from Europe to 23. Theres 2 reasons for European players having a higher age limit. One, to limit the amount of bust coming from over seas. Two to preserve the college game here. If the nba adopted this format teams would get a more polished player. It would be the end of tanking. There would be no more projects in the lottery . and the top nba prospects wouldn't go to Kentucky and duke every year either. Talent would be more spread out

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;241011 said:
Why would you want college basketball to suck?

I think it would suffer for a year or 2 but would right itself after that. 3 years of continuity would allow for much better basketball.

Though we would miss out on the Carmelo Anthonys and Kevin Durants of the world. But this current setup is allowing for extreme ups and downs for programs.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n241014 said:
I've got the problem to the solution. Raise the age limit for a player coming out of college to 21 and raise the age limit coming from Europe to 23. Theres 2 reasons for European players having a higher age limit. One, to limit the amount of bust coming from over seas. Two to preserve the college game here. If the nba adopted this format teams would get a more polished player. It would be the end of tanking. There would be no more projects in the lottery . and the top nba prospects wouldn't go to Kentucky and duke every year either. Talent would be more spread out

Some of those kids just can't go to college. From an academic standpoint. The reason it works for football (regardless of academics) is because they're bodies aren't ready. Basketball isn't like football. 19 years olds can have an impact in the NBA. I don't think any other sport has an age requirement.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n241439 said:
Some of those kids just can't go to college. From an academic standpoint. The reason it works for football (regardless of academics) is because they're bodies aren't ready. Basketball isn't like football. 19 years olds can have an impact in the NBA. I don't think any other sport has an age requirement.
Not many 19 year olds make a major impact in the nba. But kids who have acedemic problems can go a year or two of juco and still have time to prove themselves at the d1 level for a year. In the model i proposed the nba and college basketball would be way more entertaining.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;241443 said:
Not many 19 year olds make a major impact in the nba. But kids can go a year or two of juco and still have time to prove themselves at the d1 level for a year. In the model i proposed the nba and college basketball would be way more entertaining.

It's rare but it happens. I don't like the idea of limiting somebody's opportunities. The only reason I think it's okay with football is due to safety issues.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n240833 said:
I don't know that it was a mistake for frazier to leave early. It's not like he was gonna get drafted next year either. Mine aswell get a head start on his pro career.

Might as well get a degree and play one more year in college before going overseas. I would think the degree may be valuable in the future.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n241809 said:
Might as well get a degree and play one more year in college before going overseas. I would think the degree may be valuable in the future.
I think he can afford to put some money for one semester of school if he's making300k over seas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.