NCAA council proposes 2 early signing periods & adding 10th staff member

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This is an interesting proposal. Saban & Meyer have both come out against an early signing period. I'd love to see how Saban would exploit adding a 10th staff member:

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/se...ses-two-signing-periods-recruiting-revisions/

NCAA council proposes two signing periods and adding 10th staff member

On Wednesday, the NCAA council announced a proposal which could completely change the landscape of recruiting on the college football level.

The proposal includes two, 72-hour early signing periods beginning on the last Wednesday in June and in mid-December. The December date also coincides when junior college players can sign National Letters of Intent.

Follow
NCAA

✔@NCAA

DI Council proposes early signing periods and additional assistant coach for football: http://on.ncaa.com/2dL6bUJ

4:38 PM - 5 Oct 2016

As it currently stands, the only signing period (outside of early enrollees) is in early February. This proposal would in theory enable some recruits to not drag out the process — rather signing early and focusing solely on their high school academics.

Additionally, the proposal talks about increasing the limit on the number of assistant coaches in the FBS from nine to 10. This is meant to help compensate for the bigger roster sizes when compared to other sports.

Follow
JC Shurburtt @jcshurburtt

The early signing periods proposal (June and December) plus going to 10 assistants in FBS for football makes a ton of sense. Love these.

5:18 PM - 5 Oct 2016

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Meyer and Saban don't have to sign any players early if they don't want to. They'll still have their pick.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Saban was heard to comment "Ten staff members?, No way I cut my staff in half."
Depending on who you count, Ive seen numbers from mid twenties to mid forties for Saban's "quality control", football operarions, senior offensive and defensive assistants, and various non-coach coaches. A good number of them have been real coaches at other schools or in the NFL.

As for the early signing periods, Im all for it just bc it makes CUM have vagina spasms.

Last edited:

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Early signing period is a great great great idea. The way recruiting is everyone just seems to think that signing day is the only signing day...it's just the start and could drag out for several weeks after that. An earlier period lets those kids that are so firmly committed to sign and can live in peace without being bombarded by other coaches and on the flip side coaches don't have to waste time, energy, and money to recruit kids that are committed. Those that wish to wait and be courted more are allowed that. Everybody wins.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Early signing period is a great great great idea. The way recruiting is everyone just seems to think that signing day is the only signing day...it's just the start and could drag out for several weeks after that. An earlier period lets those kids that are so firmly committed to sign and can live in peace without being bombarded by other coaches and on the flip side coaches don't have to waste time, energy, and money to recruit kids that are committed. Those that wish to wait and be courted more are allowed that. Everybody wins.

I like the idea of a early signing period in December...but June is too early. The kids haven't even played their senior season yet. On the flip side of that, some kids get their offers pulled after a poor senior season so it goes both ways.

I think this helps programs other than the "big boys" a lot because those big boy programs often steal (flip) a kid as a Plan B (for them). The program that loses the kid to the big boy program probably had that kid as a Plan A.

Found this on Saban's thoughts on the 10th assistant:

Nearly every FBS program splits up special teams duties. Many coaches have said a 10th assistant could take control of all special teams. Exactly a year ago, Nick Saban said, “I think that having a 10th coach so you could have nine assistants and special teams coach would be a real asset to the players and the staff. Hopefully some day, we’ll be able to do that.”

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
There were other proposals by the committee that impact satellite camps:

The proposed changes include:

- Two 72-hour early signing periods for the last Wednesday in June and in mid-December. This proposal would be effective for the 2017-18 signing year.

- Allow 10 full-time assistant coaches in FBS.

- No more than 10 days allowed for conducting or participating in camps and clinics. This would begin immediately, if passed. (The current rule is two periods of 15 consecutive days)

- Camps must be owned, operated and conducted by NCAA schools and occur on campus or in the school’s facilities. (Many have taken place at high schools)

- Only full-time coaches and graduate assistants can participate in other schools’ camps.

- Coaches can have recruiting conversations with prospects during the camps.

----------

The satellite camp changes have also been coming after last year’s ban on them was quickly reversed. If this goes through, coaches would have to carefully pick their spots. Jim Harbaugh wouldn’t be able to travel all over the country for a whole month. Advocates of the camps say they help more kids get recruited, and if coaches don’t want to do them, don’t go. The other side has expressed concern over pressure for kids to attend so many camps.

“We needed to limit the number of days (for camps and clinics) and do things differently than we did before,” Bowlsby said. “But the best chance for us to manage this is to acknowledge that the summer is about recruiting, not skill development, and to manage it in ways that reflect best on our universities and the process.”

Votes on these will come in April, and you can be sure there will be a lot of feedback and conversation on both sides in the coming months.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I like the idea of a early signing period in December...but June is too early. The kids haven't even played their senior season yet. On the flip side of that, some kids get their offers pulled after a poor senior season so it goes both ways.

I think this helps programs other than the "big boys" a lot because those big boy programs often steal (flip) a kid as a Plan B (for them). The program that loses the kid to the big boy program probably had that kid as a Plan A.

Found this on Saban's thoughts on the 10th assistant:

Nearly every FBS program splits up special teams duties. Many coaches have said a 10th assistant could take control of all special teams. Exactly a year ago, Nick Saban said, “I think that having a 10th coach so you could have nine assistants and special teams coach would be a real asset to the players and the staff. Hopefully some day, we’ll be able to do that.”
True but if kids want to hold out for the big boy programs then they can choose not to sign early. There's some issues they would have to iron out to make sure it's fair but i don't see a downside to an early signing period. May have to put in some clauses like a kid can break the signing if there is a change in the coaching staff or something like that.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
May have to put in some clauses like a kid can break the signing if there is a change in the coaching staff or something like that.

This is one of the main reasons I disagree with the June signing period. Coaching changes could have an extreme impact on a player, and I'm sure as it is currently written there is no way for a player to get out of it. Similar to how players can be stuck with a coach they didn't want now.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
True but if kids want to hold out for the big boy programs then they can choose not to sign early. There's some issues they would have to iron out to make sure it's fair but i don't see a downside to an early signing period. May have to put in some clauses like a kid can break the signing if there is a change in the coaching staff or something like that.

The Dude, I agree there are issues to consider....I didn't say I disagreed w/ the early signing period...just the June early signing period. I like the idea of a December early signing period.

One other thing that should have been brought up by this committee is the "Cost of Attendance". THAT needs to be one flat rate across the board. No way it's more expensive to live in Knoxville, Tuscaloosa, or Auburn than it is in Gainesville. At the end of the day, those schools can say, "If you come here you'll get an extra $10,000 over 4 or 5 years vs. UF...." It needs to be even.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
The Dude, I agree there are issues to consider....I didn't say I disagreed w/ the early signing period...just the June early signing period. I like the idea of a December early signing period.

One other thing that should have been brought up by this committee is the "Cost of Attendance". THAT needs to be one flat rate across the board. No way it's more expensive to live in Knoxville, Tuscaloosa, or Auburn than it is in Gainesville. At the end of the day, those schools can say, "If you come here you'll get an extra $10,000 over 4 or 5 years vs. UF...." It needs to be even.

Don't know if flat rate is the right answer, but schools should have to document/justify their "cost of attendance" to conference and ncaa officials.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

One other thing that should have been brought up by this committee is the "Cost of Attendance".
... At the end of the day, those schools can say, "If you come here you'll get an extra $10,000 over 4 or 5 years vs. UF...." It needs to be fixed.

After slightly altering your post, I agree. I like the December early signing period and I agree the COT needs to be addressed. It needs to be fairly calculated. I do have concerns that offering an early signing period could result in the system changing dramatically and athletes being under the same pressure, but at an earlier time with less time to make a good decision. I'd be willing to try it though, knowing it could always be altered again or reverted. I also think that this will have a really big impact on first signing classes for newly hired head coaches. After a coaching change, I think the classes could be significantly worse now.

Don't know if flat rate is the right answer, but schools should have to document/justify their "cost of attendance" to conference and ncaa officials.

I agree with this. That's why I couldn't agree with BMF's entire post. Cost of attendance should be different at BC or USCw than at Tex Tech or K State, but the references of Knoxville, Tuscaloosa, or Auburn and Gainesville are spot on. I love the idea of the conferences and the NCAA being involved - that way conferences can do most of the work and if one or more conference gets out of line, they can be addressed too.

I think we've got improvement over all, but there's still room to improve.

Fun N' Stun

Nov 15, 2014
The earlier the better. Many of these kids are attention seeking divas that want as much attention as possible.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Didn't think of the coaching change angle. Again, I think that the vast majority of players are going to sign in June leaving nothing but crumbs for even the best recruiter.

I don't know why the vast majority would sign in June. First, it's a huge decision for these kids. The biggest they will have ever made, for almost all of them. You don't want to rush it. Especially when, as major athletes, they most often think they are great and that they can get better offers if they can only get more publicity.

Also, many times they want to see how some of their favorite schools are going to perform with new coaches - head coaches, coordinators, position coaches are constantly changing. There is often also the desire to see what the depth chart will look like. Will that junior go pro and open up that spot? I just don't see the vast majority signing in June. ...but between the two new dates, I'd bet that a bunch more go before Feb if it get's passed.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think it's great for the kids who know exactly where they want to go no matter what, and just want to get it over with so they won't be pestered by a bunch of other recruiters. I think this is one of those situations where only a few will actually use the early signing dates and the over-all effect on recruiting will be minimal. Just my humble opinion. Most of the top recruits will still want to play the recruiting game and be wooed and coddled by the major programs.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
10th assistant addition may get delayed until Jan 2018 (basically the small/Group of 5 schools don't have the money in this year's budget for it):

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Amendment-could-push-back-10th-assistant-coach-to-2018

Amendment could push back 10th assistant coach to 2018

The addition of a 10th full-time assistant coach in FBS will be a massive change in the college coaching world, but a new amendment could push it back a season.

According to an NCAA report released today, there is an amendment to move the effective date of the 10th assistant coach from April (immediate upon vote) to Jan. 9, 2018. The Football Oversight Committee is the source of the amendment, and another form lists the Mid-American Conference.

The rationale is related to timing in the calendar, the budget and the job market.

“There are many concerns with the timing of the current immediate effective date,” the amendment reads. “An April effective date is in the middle of the budget year for the membership and is late in the hiring period for a football staff. If the effective date is amended to occur to the conclusion of the 2017 football season, member institutions will have the opportunity to budget for the addition of a full-time countable coach and associated costs related to recruiting.

“In addition, a delayed effective date will better fit the hiring timeline for a football staff and will not require readjustments following the spring practice period.”

A Group of 5 athletic director told CoachingSearch that there is widespread support for a 10th assistant, but also quite a bit of support to push this date back. Teams will be in spring practice, and schools without large budgets would like time to fit it into their budget. Not just salary, but additional recruiting travel.

Based on conversations CoachingSearch has had with coaches, some smaller programs have looked at cutting off-field positions in order to fit the 10th assistant into the budget this season.

Some schools with those big budgets have already made hires with plans to make them a 10th assistant in April. Tommy Rees joined the Notre Dame staff as quarterbacks coach recently. He’s technically a graduate assistant right now, but Brian Kelly says the plan is to promote him to full-time when it’s allowed. Bret Bielema said on Signing Day he had been expecting the 10th assistant to happen right away, but was now operating with the assumption he'd only be allowed 9 in the fall.

It’s unknown how likely this amendment is to pass or fail. It’s expected to be voted on in April by the Division I Council, ahead of the final vote for the addition of a 10th assistant.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Doh, guess those new coaches at UM will have to stay as off the field gophers.:giggle:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
The big vote is today.

The NCAA Division I Council is scheduled to vote on the major reform package that includes a 10th assistant (and its possible delay), restrictions on camps, restrictions on individuals associated with prospects, earlier official visits and more. The early signing period is a separate issue that won’t get fully resolved until later and isn't solely about the NCAA.

Most people believe it will pass, but there are mixed opinions on individual issues. This is an attempt to make a big change, and it’s designed that way.

"We're not in a good place right now," AFCA executive director Todd Berry, told ESPN. "We need to make changes. There is no perfect legislation for everybody. The reality is, this is the opportunity for us to correct some things and then continue on the journey of trying to make it as perfect as possible down the road.

"I'm really excited about this, quite honestly. It's is the most aggressive legislation that we've seen in a long time. And it's desperately needed."

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator