NCAA is also adding spring official visits - Mullen not a fan of spring official visits

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Spring official visits a new twist
In addition to an Early Signing Period and a tenth assistant, the NCAA is also adding spring official visits.

https://florida.247sports.com/Artic...-Spring-official-visits-a-new-twist-115161345

In addition to the Early Signing Period in December as well as coaching staffs adding a tenth assistant in January, the NCAA has also allowed recruits to take official visits during April, May, and June of their junior years of high school. In the past, recruits had to wait until September of their senior year to begin taking official visits.

However, a spring official visit is a long way from that first signing period in late December. With that in mind, do not expect Florida head coach Dan Mullen to be hosting several recruits on official visits this spring. In fact, look for the Gators to be rather judicious on how they use early official visits.

It's very unlikely the Gators host an in-state prospect for an official visit during the spring. The further away a prospect is from Florida, the more willing the Gators will be to host a prospect on an official visit before the fall. That is something to watch given the sheer number of offers Florida handed out in California and Hawaii for the 2019 class. It also sounds like Florida would prefer the recruit they host in the spring be an mid-year enrollee, the idea being summer enrollees have the entire month of January to take an official visit to Gainesville.

Texas head coach Tom Herman is also being cautious on how he uses spring official visits. Herman was more worried about fatigue from his staff and players that host the recruits.

“I think we've got to be very selective on our dates in the spring or else we'll wear everybody out,” Herman said. “Our players, can you imagine having to host a kid 12 straight weeks? That's not fair to our players. So you just wear everybody out. It wears the faculty out that has to be at breakfast for 12 straight weeks.”

In May, Miami head coach Mark Richt made similar comments to Herman about tiring out his staff.

"I think having official visits in April, May, and June makes no sense,” Richt said. “You have eight months a year where you are going to have official visits? It puts a burden on your coaches, a burden on your academic staff, and your compliance people."

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney said on National Signing Day the Tigers likely will not be hosting any recruits for official visits in the spring.

"We probably won’t do any, to be honest with you," Swinney said. "I don’t think we’ll do any official visits this spring. My big thing is, I’m not into the entertainment deal. If guys can’t get here unofficially, they’re probably not coming for four years."

How much Florida uses this new time to host recruits is still unknown. However, it's yet another new twist to add to the recruiting cycle.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Spring official visits a new twist
In addition to an Early Signing Period and a tenth assistant, the NCAA is also adding spring official visits.

https://florida.247sports.com/Artic...-Spring-official-visits-a-new-twist-115161345

In addition to the Early Signing Period in December as well as coaching staffs adding a tenth assistant in January, the NCAA has also allowed recruits to take official visits during April, May, and June of their junior years of high school. In the past, recruits had to wait until September of their senior year to begin taking official visits.

However, a spring official visit is a long way from that first signing period in late December. With that in mind, do not expect Florida head coach Dan Mullen to be hosting several recruits on official visits this spring. In fact, look for the Gators to be rather judicious on how they use early official visits.

It's very unlikely the Gators host an in-state prospect for an official visit during the spring. The further away a prospect is from Florida, the more willing the Gators will be to host a prospect on an official visit before the fall. That is something to watch given the sheer number of offers Florida handed out in California and Hawaii for the 2019 class. It also sounds like Florida would prefer the recruit they host in the spring be an mid-year enrollee, the idea being summer enrollees have the entire month of January to take an official visit to Gainesville.

Texas head coach Tom Herman is also being cautious on how he uses spring official visits. Herman was more worried about fatigue from his staff and players that host the recruits.

“I think we've got to be very selective on our dates in the spring or else we'll wear everybody out,” Herman said. “Our players, can you imagine having to host a kid 12 straight weeks? That's not fair to our players. So you just wear everybody out. It wears the faculty out that has to be at breakfast for 12 straight weeks.”

In May, Miami head coach Mark Richt made similar comments to Herman about tiring out his staff.

"I think having official visits in April, May, and June makes no sense,” Richt said. “You have eight months a year where you are going to have official visits? It puts a burden on your coaches, a burden on your academic staff, and your compliance people."

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney said on National Signing Day the Tigers likely will not be hosting any recruits for official visits in the spring.

"We probably won’t do any, to be honest with you," Swinney said. "I don’t think we’ll do any official visits this spring. My big thing is, I’m not into the entertainment deal. If guys can’t get here unofficially, they’re probably not coming for four years."

How much Florida uses this new time to host recruits is still unknown. However, it's yet another new twist to add to the recruiting cycle.
My big thing is, I’m not into the entertainment deal. If guys can’t get here unofficially, they’re probably not coming for four years."
Yeppers.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Mullen not a fan of spring official visits
Spring official visits add a new twist to recruiting calendar, but Mullen is not keen on the move.

https://florida.247sports.com/Artic...not-a-fan-of-spring-official-visits-115678340

A new addition to the NCAA recruiting calendar this year is spring official visits. Prospects are now able to take all-expense paid official visits to campuses during the months of April, May, and June, in addition to the regular September through National Signing Day trips.

Florida head coach Dan Mullen admits he is not keen on those spring official visits.

“We’re looking into it,” Mullen said of spring official visits on Wednesday. “I’m not a big fan of spring official visits personally. I’m kind of against it.

“There’s a small window for us to have people on campus. I know they go through, and I don’t want to have recruits on campus when no one is on campus. They’re student-athletes still. So, to bring them on a visit when there’s no professors, there’s no classes going on, schools not in sessions, that’s tough to do sometimes. You know, because you want them to get the complete experience.”

Mullen did concede that it’s likely Florida will host spring official visitors, but worried about the length of time until the prospect inks his National Letter of Intent, even if it’s during the Early Signing Period on December.

“We’ll see. This is year one of the spring official visits, so we’ll see how it all plays out. I’m sure we’ll have guys take spring official visits, but that’s an awful long time until signing day to take a visit in the spring.”

Mullen is not alone in his distaste for the early official visits. Tom Herman at Texas, Mark Richt at Miami, and Dabo Swinney at Clemson have all spoken out against the spring official visits as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator