NCAA Reconsidering Penn State Sanctions?

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Why take anything from them in the first place if you are going to give everything back? Do they put the statue back?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
That would just make the NCAA look even more ridiculously inefficient, yet they're too dumb to realize it.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Just make sure those PSU-administrators (state employees ?) get criminal sentences for violating Pennsylvania state laws
concerning primary reporters of pedophilia.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Penn St looks kinda bad for challenging a penalty in court for allowing a pedophile to run free in your athletic department.

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I was concerned that some of the penalties were football related when the crime was not. It is a totally disgusting story, but had nothing to do with whether Penn State gained any advantage on the field. I contrast these thoughts with other schools committing infractions directly related to players and their eligibility, or condoning behavior that would otherwise see them suspended. Administrators being fired and the school being fined for reparations seems appropriate. I don't know...morals and college athletics are hardly mentioned in the same breath any more...

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Pedophiles everywhere will rejoice. Franklin is probably a closet pedo and they want to regain their pedo-friendly environment.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That school had a culture of depravity. It held its football program above human decency. Probably no different than FSU but on a much grander scale. No way in hell should they reward those wins back. Pathetic. And a horrible message.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
115501_600.jpg

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Never should have vacated the wins to start with.

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
Would be great if they returned the wins to him, I can already hear the wailing and crying coming out of Tallahassee. But since they've harbored, aided, and abetted a rapist on their football squad the last 2 years, I don't see where they'd have much of a leg to stand on complaining about it.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I wonder which proportion of the "pedophilia doesnt matter" crowd are Catholics? Seems to be a recurring theme.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
TallyGator;n149431 said:
I was concerned that some of the penalties were football related when the crime was not. It is a totally disgusting story, but had nothing to do with whether Penn State gained any advantage on the field. I contrast these thoughts with other schools committing infractions directly related to players and their eligibility, or condoning behavior that would otherwise see them suspended. Administrators being fired and the school being fined for reparations seems appropriate. I don't know...morals and college athletics are hardly mentioned in the same breath any more...

When it was investigated and made public, I was aghast and wanted the program slammed. However, over time I got more in alignment with what you have stated - it wasn't a benefit to the program for this activity to be going on. Moreover, the majority of people (especially players) weren't aware; there appeared to be a small group in the know and actively hiding the situation, primarily a few coaches and administrators. Other than Joe Pa whom I will address in a moment, the rest are removed from the university and facing legal review if not already incarcerated. It was a civil issue, not a university issue. I think the distinction needs to be made. For example, if it were a few key corporate officers doing this, they'd have been fired and jailed - you wouldn't tell the company to give back it's profits (especially as this did nothing related to the company's success) and you wouldn't penalize the employees who didn't know and were doing the best they could in what they thought was a safe environment. If you want to take it back from my corporate analogy and confine it to the university system where the NCAA has authority, it still remains a civil issue at heart, and by nature outside the authority of the NCAA.

As for Joe Pa, I do believe he knew. People say the investigation led to his demise, and I do believe there is a lot of merit to him not being able to live with it. I think he knew, and couldn't cope with what was coming in terms of shame of hiding the issue. The vacated wins, the sanctions, those would hurt but weren't enough to kill him. I think it was the shame of knowing he was in the group of wrong.

Ultimately, I agreed with the lifting of the bowl ban, and I'll support returning the wins to the school but not Joe Pa. I don't know that they can be separated, but if I was a player from the past four decades and played my heart out for the program I'd ask why I can't be proud of what I and my team mates did? Why are we punished for something we didn't know about, something that didn't benefit us? Keep Joe Pa off the books, but the kids who played earned those wins, just like the kids who played this year despite the sanctions have earned the right to go to the bowls and not be penalized.

gardnerwebbgator;n149633 said:
Pedophiles everywhere will rejoice. Franklin is probably a closet pedo and they want to regain their pedo-friendly environment.

Totally classless remark.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Make him do some hail marys.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TLB;149982 said:
Other than Joe Pa whom I will address in a moment, the rest are removed from the university and facing legal review if not already incarcerated. It was a civil issue, not a university issue. I think the distinction needs to be made. For example, if it were a few key corporate officers doing this, they'd have been fired and jailed - you wouldn't tell the company to give back it's profits (especially as this did nothing related to the company's success) and you wouldn't penalize the employees who didn't know and were doing the best they could in what they thought was a safe environment. If you want to take it back from my corporate analogy and confine it to the university system where the NCAA has authority, it still remains a civil issue at heart, and by nature outside the authority of the.

Negative. CEOs that are corrupt aren't normally the only ones unscathed in a crime. Depending on the severity of the scandal, corporations are regularly fined millions of dollars by the regulatory agencies.

We see this consistently in the healthcare and financial industries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator