NCAA rule change: Kickoff fair catch inside 25 to be touchback

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I don’t recall seeing a single KO of the short, high kind they described that occurred b/t the goal line and the 25 last season so for that reason alone it seems like they are contemplating a pointless rule change. For the times it does happen, do what was mentioned above...spot the ball at the point of the fair catch. Special teams is such a big part of the game-mess with it too much and the entire fabric of the game will be changed for the worse.

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
I don’t recall seeing a single KO of the short, high kind they described that occurred b/t the goal line and the 25 last season so for that reason alone it seems like they are contemplating a pointless rule change. For the times it does happen, do what was mentioned above...spot the ball at the point of the fair catch. Special teams is such a big part of the game-mess with it too much and the entire fabric of the game will be changed for the worse.

Pineiro did that several times in one game last season. Unfortunately, he didn't let his teammates in on the plan and we gave up some big returns.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
And the kicks werent high, just short.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This is dumb. Just don’t have a kick off if that’s the case. Just start the next possession on the 20 yard line.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Pineiro did that several times in one game last season. Unfortunately, he didn't let his teammates in on the plan and we gave up some big returns.
Didn’t let the coaches know, either. It was a d!ck move.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Weather you're discussing UF football games or all of CFB, this happens often and is a ST's strategy. Meyer loved to employ this when he was at UF. High kick toward the sideline as close to the 1 or 2 yard line as possible - to pin the team in. I think the proposed rule is stupid AF, but it happens often in CFB.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
The kicker doesn't doesn't need anything else taken from his craft, he's pretty limited already. A perfectly executed kick high between the goal line and the twenty, then fair caught is difficult and a weapon.The kicking team should be rewarded the field position advantage.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
I guess those old guys who run the game get together once a year and first thing asked is "what new rule can we come up with this year?" needed or not. It makes the public think they are really doing something.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
What brilliant coaching is yet to come. Like when a front-line guy calls "fair catch" on that "on-sides" kick. Boy those on-rushers go all-out at hitting hard to jar the ball loose, to prevent the catch. I know I can't watch those. So so dangerous all 'round... and those noises on fierce tackles, can the NCAA do something about those?

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014

I’m calling BS on your statement. For Pinero to have done that several times in a game last year, we would’ve had to have scored several times in said game...and that just didn’t happen.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017

Why would he do that? Was it ever determined? Miscommunication?

g8tr76

Lifetime Member
Mar 28, 2016
And I used to laugh at the possibilities that their would be a penalty for hitting too hard. As echoed above, this and much of the other things that committee comes up with is just dumb!

SaltyGator

Make the Gators great again!
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
This is stupid, if the kickoff rule passes then they might as well just eliminate kickoffs all together.

Instead, why not move kickoffs back to the 20 or maybe even the 15. Reward teams for recruiting a good kicker and not just pulling a walk on in to kick. You could even argue this is for safety. If you move the kickoff back and a team chooses not to get good kickers they're giving they're opponent the ball at the 30-40 yard line with a crappy kick which potentially means less plays and yardage to get to the endzone.

Kicking is just part of the game just as injuries are part of the game.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Stewart Mandel's mailbag comments on this:

What are your thoughts on Nicole Auerbach’s piece about changing the kickoff rule? Does this proposed rule change (a team that fair-catches the kickoff inside the 25 gets a touchback) help or hurt both safety and the on-field game?

John B.

I don’t think there’s any question it helps with safety, but it’s also just kind of awkward. It’s like the rules-makers are saying, “We know having the two sides come racing at each other full speed from opposite ends of the field has always been a recipe for disaster, but the public will mutiny if we get rid of it altogether, so here’s a weird compromise.” If you think kickoff returns are so dangerous that you’re manipulating the rules to try to avoid them, then you might as well go ahead and eliminate them.

Which would be fine with me.

There are some traditions in sports I hold sacred and believe should never be touched — like, say, the announcement of the NCAA tournament bracket — but kickoffs are not one of them. If you just let the other team take over at the 25 after a score, like we do in overtime, it would reduce the number of injuries far more than it would reduce our enjoyment of football. Eventually you’d barely remember them.

But I guess this fair-catch rule is an OK compromise for now. In the meantime, I will continue to advocate for a far more urgent matter: ridding the sport of those embarrassingly archaic first-down markers. We need GPS chips in the football, and we need them now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.