NCAA rules committee recommending changes to recruiting

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
(they tabled staff sizes yesterday - wanted to limit to a total of 30, including recruiting staff, "analysts" and "quality control" staff).

NCAA committee recommends changes, attempting to limit recruiting to juniors and seniors

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/s...-attempting-limit-recruiting-juniors-seniors/

In an effort to makes things easier on potential student-athletes, the NCAA Division I Student-Athlete Experience Committee has endorsed potential changes to recruiting that could change the way recruiting is done in the SEC.

Most notably, the committee seems interested in curbing the recruitment of prospects younger than high school juniors. Including the prevention of hosting sophomores and younger prospects from coming on unofficial visits, the recruitment of these prospects at camps and/or clinics and allowing juniors to take official visits — right now, only seniors are allowed to take official visits to schools.

Keep in mind these are only recommendations at this time and the changes still need to be voted on by the Division I Council in April in order to become new rules, but after receiving feedback from 2017 prospects, the committee has recommended the following changes to recruiting of athletes at the Division I level.

• Unofficial visits, which now have no restrictions on their dates for most sports, would not be permitted until Sept. 1 of prospective student-athletes’ junior year. This change aims to encourage the decision-making process for both prospective student-athletes and colleges and universities to occur at a time when academic and athletic preparedness can be more accurately considered.
  • A coach or school would not be able to engage in recruiting conversations with a prospective student-athlete at an athletic camp or clinic until Sept. 1 of the student’s junior year in high school. Additionally, the committee noted all participating athletes should have a uniform camp or clinic experience, and coaches should not be able to pull aside prospects for recruiting conversations or activities until their junior year in high school.
  • Official visits, now prohibited until prospective student-athletes’ senior year of high school, would be allowed to begin Sept. 1 in their junior year. Today, these visits are often made after a student already has committed to a particular school, preventing the official visit from being part of the decision-making process. The change aims to emphasize the official visit in the recruiting process and better align them with the timing of visits taken by the general student body.
What do you think of these rules? Should student-athletes, and more importantly, schools and coaching staffs have to wait until prospects’ junior season to ramp up their college recruitments?

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
(they tabled staff sizes yesterday - wanted to limit to a total of 30, including recruiting staff, "analysts" and "quality control" staff).

"The hell, you say. They're gonna' do a helluva' lot more than just "table it" when I start throwing one of my patented tantrums."

nick-saban-wearing-glasses-nick-saban-is-complaining-about-something-that-happens-nearly-every-week__993389_.jpg

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
No matter the proposed rule change I have high confidence that the Alabama program will find a way to circumvent it.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The committee needs to lift the mirage that causes Tuscaloosa to look like an attractive city.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I would for this and against the revocation of the sit out a year transfer rule.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
How do you regulate unofficial visits for underclassmen? If a kid wants to visit a school, how do you arrive at the conclusion that the school violated ncaa rules? Dumb.

Figure out a proper limit on support staff.

Eliminating transfers from sitting out a year will open Pandora’s box - basically free agency, which can’t be good for schools not named bamuh or ol miss (for starters). Don’t do it.

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015
How do you regulate unofficial visits for underclassmen? If a kid wants to visit a school, how do you arrive at the conclusion that the school violated ncaa rules? Dum

Obviously you can't prevent the kid from visiting the campus, however any interaction with football staff would be prohibited...

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
Limiting support staff is big for me, it's getting out of hand, actually IS out of hand.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Obviously you can't prevent the kid from visiting the campus, however any interaction with football staff would be prohibited...

So, you’ve never heard of coaches “bumping into” recruits before? When a kid is on campus, you’d need a ncaa rep present 24/7 to enforce the rules and that’s not a reasonable expectation.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Got to keep the sit out rule in place or college football goes into the toilet.
Why should colleges own the kids?

They don't own the coaches.

Legally, tell me why they should own the players.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018

They don't own the students just because they have rules in the NCAA about transferring. They are free to enroll and take classes. Maybe Univ athletic dept should make coaches sign non-compete agreements?

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
They don't own the students just because they have rules in the NCAA about transferring. They are free to enroll and take classes. Maybe Univ athletic dept should make coaches sign non-compete agreements?
I think our last 2 coaches voluntarily did a non-compete agreement.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Keep the transfer rules in play for young men who accept athletic scholarships. With every perk comes responsibility. They are getting a free education and it the coaching staff is worth their salt, a good preparation for future athletic endeavours. Not a fan of college football being the NFL D-league but that's what we have wound up with.

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
So, you’ve never heard of coaches “bumping into” recruits before? When a kid is on campus, you’d need a ncaa rep present 24/7 to enforce the rules and that’s not a reasonable expectation.
So what exactly is the difference between an “unofficial” visit and an “official” visit? Is it just who foots the bill? Can the school give them free tickets to a game if they show up “unofficially” on a game day? I guess I don’t see the need to regulate “unofficial” visits; seems like if the kid is there on his own dime then he’s probably taking the process seriously. Would be more headaches for all involved.

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015
http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/future/eligibility-center/what-unofficial-visit

So what exactly is the difference between an “unofficial” visit and an “official” visit? Is it just who foots the bill? Can the school give them free tickets to a game if they show up “unofficially” on a game day? I guess I don’t see the need to regulate “unofficial” visits; seems like if the kid is there on his own dime then he’s probably taking the process seriously. Would be more headaches for all involved.

Unofficial visit rule..

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

I can see a loosening if the rules, but I don’t see full fledged abandonment working. Maybe start with after two years you can transfer with no penalty and a loosening on hardships. For the first two years.

I agree with you in principle, but I think we need to test the waters to see where it could go. With what I mentioned, they should lose no more than one year if they redshirt and they should have their first two years of academics completed, which should make transitioning schools easier

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator