Neiron Ball now a Quadriplegic: Suffering in Skilled Nursing Home

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I loved his loyalty and dedication. All I've ever heard about him says he is a good Gator and speaks highly of him. I wish him a speedy recovery and all the best.

:chomp:

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Neiron did a lot of great work on the field and was an inspiration in the locker room. I always liked the guy . Hope the best for him and his family here .

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Refresh my memory. Did he play against medical advice?

Wishing him all the best and a full recovery.

As far as your question, I doubt it. It's not really a ruptured aneurysm but rather he has a congenital aberration of the blood vessels in the brain called arteriovenous malformation (AVM). Once found, usually you can have an ablative treatment with either embolization followed by surgery or radiation, or radiation or surgery alone. He was first diagnosed and had surgery when he was at UF.

Even with treatment there is always a risk of re-bleed, but as far as I know, it's not a contraindication for competitive sports, because unlike some cardiac conditions or spine abnormalities, there isn't an association between level of activity and risk of serious complication.

From an article from 2015:

physicians assured the family that football presents no specific danger because of Ball's condition, and if he were to have a complication, it would be just as likely to occur if he were mowing the lawn as if he were running on a football field.

Last edited:

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015

As far as your question, I doubt it. It's not really a ruptured aneurysm but rather he has a congenital aberration of the blood vessels in the brain called arteriovenous malformation (AVM). Once found, usually you can have an ablative treatment with either embolization followed by surgery or radiation or radiation or surgery alone. He was first diagnosed and had surgery when he was at UF.

Even with treatment there is always a risk of re-bleed, but as far as I know, it's not a contraindication for competitive sports, because unlike some cardiac conditions or spine abnormalities, there isn't an association between level of activity and risk of serious complication.

physicians assured the family that football presents no specific danger because of Ball's condition, and if he were to have a complication, it would be just as likely to occur if he were mowing the lawn as if he were running on a football field.
Thanks for a very substantive answer. I now remember the quotation. One of my favorites. I, too, wish him well.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Be blessed with the absence of pain, fear or anxiety. Hope you're surrounded by love, Gator.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

As far as your question, I doubt it. It's not really a ruptured aneurysm but rather he has a congenital aberration of the blood vessels in the brain called arteriovenous malformation (AVM). Once found, usually you can have an ablative treatment with either embolization followed by surgery or radiation, or radiation or surgery alone. He was first diagnosed and had surgery when he was at UF.

I thought I saw you at a holiday inn last night

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
There's hope that this "coma-assisted" surgery has become routine and controlled such that the surest likelihood of restorative tissue remodeling is the highest. GatorNation still roots for Mr. Ball.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator