New coaching staff poll and discussion thread

Discussion in 'Main Sports Forum' started by oxrageous, Jan 11, 2018.

?

How would you rate the inaugural coaching staff?

1. A

34 vote(s)
    35.1%
  2. B

55 vote(s)
    56.7%
  3. C

5 vote(s)
    5.2%
  4. D

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. F

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  1. cover2

cover2 I've grown old
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $398
    Ratings:
    +3,174 / -2
    Like several have said, I really like the Hevesy, Sunseri, and Seider hires. I don't dislike any at this point, but I'll be watching the young LB coach. If what I read about him is correct, he's got a chance to be a good one, but time will tell. As far as Grantham is concerned, I wasn't too crazy about the choke sign when it occurred, but it would have been worse if our guy missed the FG. If he can coach the D up to be more effective and efficient than what we've had recently, I'm ok. The nature of the coaching business is that allegiance to who is currently writing your check trumps all for the overwhelming majority. And BTW...who voted "F?" :scratchhead:

2. Jack o' Diamonds

Jack o' Diamonds My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $92
    Ratings:
    +290 / -3
    Probably 'traz... He appears to be dead set against this staff...

3. GatorBart

GatorBart :bandit:
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $110
    Ratings:
    +5,060 / -22
    To be honest, I wanted Kelly or Frost, bad. I wasn't happy with the head coach hire and still have my reservations about what we're going to see for an offense. DCMs put a solid staff together (I gave it a B) and has recruiting turned around, so I'm slowly coming around. If he can pull in some big names on signing day, I'll come around to DCM a little more. I'll watch the games, and hope for the best, as usual.
    Go Gators!
    :chomp:

4. Woodroe

Woodroe Sir Knowitall

Oxbucks:
    $163
    Ratings:
    +158 / -6
    You're right I am pissed. Still pissed right now. You should be too.

But the first big play our D makes this year I'll forgive him and the first time I see him give Georgia, Florida State or Tennessee some SH!TE, he will become my favorite DCO of all time. And if we ever make it to the postseason to meet Urbs and his D causes Urbs to have a heart attack I will vote for Grantham for the Ring of Honor.

5. gingerlover

gingerlover Junior Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $235
    Ratings:
    +1,225 / -5
    If we actually look like a real football team next year then this will be an A hire. Not real concerned with wins or losses in year one as long as we are improved, competitive and make up ground in recruiting.

Still not sold on this being the hire that takes us back to the promised land, but I do believe it will at least get us back to a level where the next guy, if a home run, could take us back to glory if this staff doesn’t do it.

6. jdh5484

jdh5484 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $1,199
    Ratings:
    +2,800 / -33
    Reasonable. (Don't want Meyer to have a real heart attack though)

7. jdh5484

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $1,199
    Ratings:
    +2,800 / -33
    Need a vote AFTER Feb 7th.

8. Woodroe

Woodroe Sir Knowitall

Oxbucks:
    $163
    Ratings:
    +158 / -6
    Me neither. But my Grandma always said not to lie to get out of a jam, or that lie will eventually come true.

9. Durty South Swamp

Durty South Swamp doodley doodley doo!
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $797
    Ratings:
    +9,416 / -60
    I voted B. I think we have some very good ones and some remains to be seen ones. I'm not a fan of the grantham hire and its not just because of the choke thing. I just dont think hes all that special of a DC, not all that impressed with the English hire either. I would love for them to prove me wrong, but I've been batting near 1000 in that dept for a while now so...

10. BMF

BMF Junior Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $1,047
    Ratings:
    +6,460 / -81
    I posted this in the recruiting thread. Butters incompetence is unmatched anywhere:

The Gators hired their 10th assistant Thursday, tabbing Mississippi State safeties coach Ron English for the same position. Mullen now has a full staff to recruit for the January contact period, something his predecessor never did.

Former Florida coach Jim McElwain was understaffed in 2015 (Kerry Dixon II), 2016 (Torrian Gray) and 2017 (Corey Bell, Brad Davis and Ja’Juan Seider). Not only is Mullen’s staff at capacity, but he has an extra assistant as well.

11. ExecutiveGator

ExecutiveGator Paragraphs are great tools. Use them.
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $38
    Ratings:
    +369 / -1
    Something else to consider: Mullen assessed the current state of our program prior to making his final decisions on assistant coaches. I'd like to think that if the current state of the program wasn't a complete dumpster fire from top to bottom, he might have gone after better candidates in some spots. Instead, considering our program needs rebuilding everywhere, and it needs to happen immediately, it makes the most sense to bring along quality coaches who already know what needs to happen for his program from day 1. Rather than spend time "teaching" his new coaches his way and his vision, the entire experienced staff can focus on recruiting the right guys and getting our current team up-to-speed for fall. Then, after the program starts to mold, he can improve coaches as he sees fit to continuously improve the staff. If this is the case, I'll need to upgrade my vote to an A.

12. Slevin

Slevin GCMB’s Sweet Prince
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $2,093
    Ratings:
    +4,333 / -68
    He said everything he modeled his program from was based off of Spurrier abd Florida. Hence the one national title.

13. Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey 82% sarcasm 18% full of shyt
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $4,427
    Ratings:
    +27,426 / -587
    Maybe. We will need votes after every "semester" so to speak. Hell, the real vote probably takes place after the second season. You usually know which way it's going by then.

However, the poll is about how you grade what they are and have done SO FAR.

14. MJMGator

MJMGator Slightly amused
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $1,020
    Ratings:
    +12,137 / -105
    I voted “B”. I think “A” is out of the question right now, but I like what Mullen’s getting done so far with putting his staff together and recruiting.

15. ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $695
    Ratings:
    +808 / -52
    Go fish

16. SamIamGator92

SamIamGator92 Gator - Jedi - Pumper
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $351
    Ratings:
    +372 / -45
    I gave him a 'B' for many of the reasons already mentioned. I like Hevesy and Gonzo. And of course, Sunseri. We'll see if all these Mississippi boys have what it takes to be Gators. Grantham is a gun for hire. Let's hope he's a good one and worth the ugly. If we are winning and beating our rivals, no one will care about their flaws.

It's all about recruiting right now. Can they sell some prospects on their vision for a Gator's resurgence?
    Regrade after springball to include recruiting.

17. Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey 82% sarcasm 18% full of shyt
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $4,427
    Ratings:
    +27,426 / -587
    [​IMG]

18. gardnerwebbgator

gardnerwebbgator Not A Snowflake
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $284
    Ratings:
    +4,201 / -68
    I say B-. The Sunseri hire far and away is the best one. However, the true measure will be the new strength and conditioning coach and program, not the pussified PB&J **** we've seen for the past three years. We should even see results early in the spring game.

19. jdh5484

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $1,199
    Ratings:
    +2,800 / -33
    What's troubling is we aren't hearing stories of med evacs from S&C sessions yet. :suspect:

20. EyeDocGator

EyeDocGator Politically Incorrect
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $204
    Ratings:
    +1,203 / -15
    Hopefully, the players are meeting the challenge.